What to do once people start noticing?

Options

Replies

• NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm not losing yet, but in the past I've usually said things like, "Thanks, it feels really good to be more active," or "Thanks, it feels great to be eating better." Something that acknowledges the compliment - and the truth of it - and gives a little bit of info back without making it a huge thing. (Even if it is.) I think that a lot of the time - and I'm not saying this is true for you, just for me - people get curious and even worried when I lose weight, because of my struggle with eating disorders and major health problems. I can usually see them wondering whether I'm sick again, or if someone else has died and caused me to stop eating, or something like that.

I find that things like "it feels really good to be more active / be eating better" cover all kinds of situations. If the person's commenting on your weight because they're worried, it sets their mind at ease. If they're wishing they could do the same, it opens up a dialogue in case they want motivation to get started. If they're just giving a compliment, it's a polite acknowledgement. And if they're being catty, it takes the wind out of their sails.
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Say thank you. If you are really trying to lose weight and people can tell you are, then people will take notice and some may even compliment you. I say thank you. At least that confirms I'm doing something right. Say thank you :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • _jorge_
    _jorge_ Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I say "Thank you for noticing! You made my day."
  • gekcsk
    gekcsk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Just say Thank you! I lost over 100 pounds and I wasn't sure how to handle people complimenting me. I felt like I needed to explain myself. We don't. A simple Thank You is perfect.. And by the way you are doing great. :flowerforyou:
  • ZombieFoodSlayer
    Options
    I am starting to notice the looks as well, but I say just be kind and gracious to people, a simple "Thank you" is all!!
  • Chessie24
    Options
    I normally just smile and say thank you. When they start pushing as to how I'm doing it I just say lots and lots of cocaine. They don't ask much after that. Hahahaha.
  • Finleyclf
    Finleyclf Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you and keep a going. It feels great when people start to notice. I have lost 31 lbs so far since the beginning of October and last week was the first time one person noticed. Over the weekend we had company and I could tell people wanted to say something but no one did until after I mentioned I was on a diet. I'm not so worried about what other people think, I'm doing this for me this time around. In 2003 I went from 290 lbs to 160 lbs in 9 months and I heard mostly negative words from people - 'You look funny this small - You need to gain some weight back . After doing just that I got out of control and regained 96 lbs. This time I don't care what people think. My goal this time is to get to 185 - 190. I am very big boned (5' 7') and dont really look my weight so at 190 I'll be in a size 11/12 and looking better.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I just say Thanks and get a bit shy, try to change the subject. Im not so good at the compliment thing. But its getting easier.
  • bradymeans
    bradymeans Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It feels soooooooo good!!!!! I love it even though it makes me feel a little shy and awkward because I'm bad with accepting compliments....I guess the best part is that it makes me want to work a little harder because it's actually paying off!! :)
  • bradymeans
    bradymeans Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I normally just smile and say thank you. When they start pushing as to how I'm doing it I just say lots and lots of cocaine. They don't ask much after that. Hahahaha.

lmao....totally gonna use that....haha
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I say thanks and throw in it's from lifting weights :)
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I would start by saying "Thank You". Take the compliments, they feel awesome :)

23087067.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    "Thank you."
  • enigmachik
    Options
    It can be awkward when lots of people start noticing and commenting on it all the time. It's also a little disheartening to see how many people pay more attention to you in general when you're smaller. People I've never met before (and don't know I've lost weight) give me all kinds of attention. It's like I'm a real person whereas before, I was invisible. It makes me sad how much nicer people are to me now. Whenever I see a heavier person, I think about how ignored they are because of their weight and I feel for them.
  • chism21
    chism21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    say thanks and feel grateful. When you lose weight, this don't become a main characteristic of you, but a event that show how strong you are. People know that loosing weight is not at easy thing to do, so when you lose it; they believe you are tough and you should believe too!!!
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have lost 63# from 247, actually down to that 180s you are taking about. I have gone from a size 42 to 32. It is noticeable and people tell me all the time. I usually say thank you and change the topic.

Though I am surprised that some people don't say anything because they think I might be sick.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    FOR GODS SAKES YOU SAY THANK YOU WHEN PEOPLE START RECOGNIZING THAT YOU ARE MAKING PROGRESS TOWARD YOUR GOALS. THATS ALL. SO EASY.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have been awful at this, folks comment on how well I look and I just stammer and look embarassed, still don't know what to say! Usually just go with 'thank you' and move on, it's nice that people notice so I'm not sure why i find it so awkward when someone comments on my weightloss. :flowerforyou:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    say thank u so much!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!