Insanity... thoughts and input wanted! :)

Options
13»

Replies

• cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I've done it and I love it. Going to start it against over the Christmas break!

1. Go at your own pace, these workouts are very intense so take it at your level. You may not be able to do it all at first but it does motivate you to keep going

2. Lots of water, you will sweat and you need to keep yourself hydrated.

3. Keep a towel handy.

4. Track you measurements not your weight. You will gain muscle so body definition will change but not the weight on the scale. Do not let this discourage you!

5. Eat right - You will burn a lot of calories so you need to eat enough to fuel your body for this workout.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first round of it - I followed the calendar precisely, I didn't follow their eating plan, per se, but I did track my calories on here (I'm at 1200 net right now). I also ran a half marathon at the culmination of the "rest week" - so even though it says rest on the calendar for every rest day, I actually went on runs every Sunday. I probably lost a bit over 20 lbs during the program, which is all I was really hoping to lose.

I found Jillian Micheals' 30 Day Shred to be too easy. I'd say, for me, INSANITY is just about right. If anything I think it could be a bit harder (a lot of time in the videos is devoted to stretching... stretching is important, but I want to be working longer). Now that I'm done with a round, I'm looking forward to doing some new things. I still plan to incorporate INSANITY workouts regularly into my exercise regime.

The biggest thing for me - I liked Shaun T. I'm EASILY annoyed by fitness professionals and he didn't annoy me at all, so that's saying a lot!
  • RebeccaLeinen
    RebeccaLeinen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Waiting for mine to come in!!! So excited to try it!!! I've completed Jillian Michaels body rev...and LOVED it so i'm up for a new challenge!
  • RickiD530
    Options
    Yes, it is hard1 It ranges between 38 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes. It is the best workout I have ever done. I have completed 3 rounds of it and I am addicted! Shaun T is fantastic! When I first started I could barely make it through the warm up. I can't believe how far I have come since then. All the other workouts come much easier to me because of Insanity!!! You should definitely try it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I have completed 2 rounds of Insanity and a few rounds of Insanity/Asylum hybrid. I just started Asylum Vol 2 last week. Insanity works, you just have to be prepared for what the programs throws at you. It will be everything you make of it. If you just go through the motions and don't push yourself you won't see much results. If you are going to start the program you have to be commited because it pushes you to the limits. I don't agree with the one post that says to modify the schedule. Stick to the schedule, if you have to modify from 6 days to 4 then you aren't ready for the program. It is a great program and works but you have to push!
    wow
    you sir, are a beast! i've done Insanity at least 3 times, Asylum twice, and i'm in the middle of the insanity/aslyum hybrid. The hybrid is one of the toughest things i've ever done. Two aslyum workouts in the same day? an insanity workout and an asylum workout in the same day? you got to be insane... lol, oh yeah i forgot.

two things i disagree on though. I think modifying the program is ok. I agree that if have to cut the program down from 6 days to 4 days your not really ready for it... but that doesn't mean watering it down wont produce a chanellenging, productive and appropriate workout for them. also think that for these people (and even those somewhat more fit than them), 'just going through the motions' will be a fairly effective workout for them, but it wont be long before they will have to step it up.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hello! :) Happy MONDAY!

I need advice and some input on Insanity. I saw a few posts and asked my guy about it and he told me a little but about it. I am curious to know everyone else's thoughts because after the weekend, I've been bugging about it and want to know more. If you have done Insanity... I need input! :) I just started hitting the gym lately and would love an extra push from Insanity if its for me. Thank you in advance for your advice :) Have an awesome day!

Insanity is a great program especially if you want to work on your cardio fitness and overall fitness/core body strength. It depends exactly what your goals are, but for overall fitness it is a great program.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    idk, if you have to ask then there are probably 1000 other DVD programs out there that will be very effective for you and much easier to stick with. Yes, virtually anyone can do insanity, especially if they modify it, but why work harder then you really need to.

the problem i have with this program, and really any program being advertised is the notion that the advertising gives you that there is a finish line... that you'll do these 60 days that then thats it, your golden for life. I don't think people really think that, but i do believe that the advertizing plays on the 'quick fix' mentality that many people have.

When it comes to getting fit, there is no finish line, its a constant journey. So you can either start that journey off with a bang with insanity or work up to it.

Even with insanity, its easy to eat more calories then you put out. its still going to be 85% what you eat and 15 % what you do.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    also noticed a lot of people claiming they can get nearly to the end or even entierly through a dvd with out taking additional rest periods.

If this is really happening, then i think these people are doing something wrong lol. EVERYONE in the video has to stop for a few moments at some point. If you can really get through the sets without needing any breaks, ever, then congrats on reaching that level, but your pacing yourself. Go faster, you'll need that break lol. I think the point is always to be working at 100%. personally i think working at the intensity where you need breaks is more true to the program.
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I've completed two rounds of Insanity, and I loved it. Very high intensity and it pushes you both physically and mentally. It plays verymuch on your competitive nature. It's got tons of jumping and its high impact, but it is possible to modify if you can't do it. If youwant a high intensity challenge then its for you. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    oh, and i personally couldn't keep up with my typical weight training program while doing insanity. I was doing 6 days a week, now i just do 2-3 full body a week.

personally i think if doing anything on top of insanity is flirting with over training at best.
  • bamorford
    bamorford Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I would LOVE to incorporate Insanity into my workouts! Hearing all of this wonderful feed back gets me so excited to jump into it! I was wondering if any of you would like to sell your DVDs or know of someone that would. Just message me. Thank you!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I would LOVE to incorporate Insanity into my workouts! Hearing all of this wonderful feed back gets me so excited to jump into it! I was wondering if any of you would like to sell your DVDs or know of someone that would. Just message me. Thank you!

You don't "incorporate" Insanity into your workouts. It is a very regimented 6 day a week schedule that doesn't leave any room for you to supplement it with additional exercise as it will actually SLOW your progress due to lack of sufficient rest periods between workouts. It is very high impact (with now ay of modifying it for low impact) and very injury prone due to the fact that many of the exercises they have you do are not possible for overweight or out of shape people to do without safety issues.

In truth, there are far better things you can do if you have access to real equipment, are willing to commit to a schedule and healthy nutrition plan.

The reason people see results doing programs like Insanity is because they tend to stick to the schedule like glue when they have everything written out for them over the next few months. It's almost entirely psychological.
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

You don't "incorporate" Insanity into your workouts. It is a very regimented 6 day a week schedule that doesn't leave any room for you to supplement it with additional exercise as it will actually SLOW your progress due to lack of sufficient rest periods between workouts. It is very high impact (with now ay of modifying it for low impact) and very injury prone due to the fact that many of the exercises they have you do are not possible for overweight or out of shape people to do without safety issues.

In truth, there are far better things you can do if you have access to real equipment, are willing to commit to a schedule and healthy nutrition plan.

The reason people see results doing programs like Insanity is because they tend to stick to the schedule like glue when they have everything written out for them over the next few months. It's almost entirely psychological.
    I agree with your point about the schedule and I'm pretty sure that the results most people see are more because of the fact that they're busting their *kitten* 6x a week working out than because of anything specific to the Insanity program itself, but I think you can "incorporate" some insanity into another workout regimen.

I'm in my final week of Insanity and I've stuck to the program like glue and I'm really happy with the results, but when I"m finished, I don't see myself jumping right back in for another 63 day run. I'm planning on trying out a strength program, but I can see working in a couple of the Insanity videos to supplement cardio on non-lifting days. I love the Max Interval Circuit video and I'm hopeful that I can work that into my non-program schedule once a week or so. Maybe toss in "Insane Abs" on another day as well.
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hey all, loved reading this thread!

I do bootcamp 3x per week but my class is on a 2 week break over Christmas and I am away at centerparcs for some of the xmas period.

Anyway, I have the insanity workout DVDs just sitting at home been waiting for a good time to start!) and I was thinking of using it as a replacement for my bootcamp sessions. What do you think? Can I use it like this? I usually do 45 min bootcamp Mon, Wed and Fri.
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I do bootcamp 3x per week but my class is on a 2 week break over Christmas and I am away at centerparcs for some of the xmas period.

Anyway, I have the insanity workout DVDs just sitting at home been waiting for a good time to start!) and I was thinking of using it as a replacement for my bootcamp sessions. What do you think? Can I use it like this? I usually do 45 min bootcamp Mon, Wed and Fri.

Oh yeah, Go for it .You already do bootcamp . You'll love it !
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Oh yeah, Go for it .You already do bootcamp . You'll love it !

Thanks :smile: I'm going to start next week!! (Or maybe the weekend!!:wink: )
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I will be doing day 8 of insanity this evening.
    I have given up running for the duration of the 60 days, i initially was worried that i would lose some of my stamina and set my running times back- but after week 1 i can already feel my endurance increacing.
    So far i would highly recommend it!
    I second some of the tips other people have given:
    -Keep water nearby
    -keep a towel handy (on for you and one for the sweat puddle that accumulates on the floor)
    -dont feel you have to keep up with the people in the video
    -Eat enough! Keep a bananna handy for straight after :-)
    -Do it with a buddy, at the very least buddy up with someone on MFP to keep you accountable- I would have chickened out on day 3 if it wasnt for ma workout buddy!
  • importdude
    importdude Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i started 12/13/12. At first the fittest itself was very hard. But as day goes by its getting my very addicted. Being 245lb my ankles and knees take beatings. litterly hurt after working out and stuff.. But the weird thing for me is the next day i feel sore but its not bad. I feel more sore when i go biking for 10miles.

Everyday i cant wait to do it, even though its tuff.

Everyone is right , Keep your own pace. At first i tried to keep up with the video, but i was compromising my form to keep up..
  • kangababy
    kangababy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Why have a gym membership while doing Insantiy?

I got and did Insanity when I was in fairly good shape. I had been working out with a traininer 3 days a week and doing cardio 5 days. Since insanity is mainly cardio (some pushup and stuff) you need to incorporate some weight training in there as well.
    I am a beachboyd coach and have most of the programs so I like to mix it up. I get bored really easily with the same routines over and over. by doing mainly a cardio program you aren;t going to gain alot of strenght but you will burn fat. You need a happy medium. I have a memberhsip to the Y and PureBarre and use the DVD as supplements or extra workouts. I just started Les Mills Combat and loved it and I was never a fan of Taebo.

When starting insantiy listen to Shaun T. Do it at your own pace and if you need to modify it modify it. Wear a HRM so you know when you are wokring too hard or not hard enough. Watch what you eat and you will see reults.