SHOES OR NO SHOES??

Options

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Millions of years ago, THEY DIDN'T WEAR SHOES!!

do you have a study to prove this?
  • MarcieSwitzer
    MarcieSwitzer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would think it would depend on what type of exercising. I use the elliptical and that means I need shoes to support my feet and ankles. But when I do pilates or weights i usually don't. I definitely think anything really aerobic where you are on your feet, you should have the support of good sneakers or an exercise shoe--I actually have a well made walking sandal I wear cause I loathe having my feet covered, but it has arch supports and secure strapping. My feet would kill me if I didn't.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    You burn more cal if you wear shoes
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Millions of years ago, THEY DIDN'T WEAR SHOES!!

do you have a study to prove this?

And millions of years ago life expectancy was about 20 (which is OBVIOUSLY because they didn't wear shoes...). I'm totally cool with shoes and every other modern lifestyle that allows me to reasonably live past age 20. No desire here to recreate the lifestyle from millions of years ago.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    I train both ways. When it comes to leg days, I use Vibrams. When I kickbox, barefoot if possible or minimalist shoes. Running walking, I wear running shoes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would say wear shoes for the support.
  • laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Shoes are a must for me but just my preference.
  • hsiders
    Options
    Shoes for me! I'm a runner and don't think my tender feet could stand barefoot running!
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    I'm no expert. But don't gym shoes absorb some of the shock to the joints? That is if you're doing cardio. If you're doing yoga, pilates no need for gym shoes.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert. But don't gym shoes absorb some of the shock to the joints?

yes...good ones do that and protect the feet

people who advocate bare foot running outdoors have gone off the deep end
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of exercise and the person. I like to wear shoes when I do most exercises because I have flat feet and need arch supports. My arch supports help with my balance and stability. It is much easier for me to hurt myself when I don't because my feet roll inward when I am barefoot.

If none of this affects you, bare feet is not a problem. If you are worried do some research about it...
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't wear socks only and workout on a wood floor.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I don't have hardwood floors lol
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't have hardwood floors lol

Good. You have no danger of slipping while you play Just Dance 3 on the Wii and flinging a controller across the room.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I wear shoes when I exercise because of my ankles and knees. I have loose ligaments, so I'm prone to sprains and such. Gotta be careful! If I was normal, (lol) I would exercise naked!
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    When I do workout dvds I don't wear shoes.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know if it would make a difference in most cases or not. For me, I have found that some exercises hurt the arch of my feet if I don't have a good shoe to support them. I've tried a home workout once or twice without shoes and my feet seemed to hurt worse in those cases.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Shoes should be worn even if your in your home, you can do some serious damage without them. You don't go to the gym without putting on shoes so why would you think that just because you are in your home that you don't need them?

Because wen you put shoes on to go to the gym, it's to satisfy social convention, not anything physical
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do 30 day shred without them as it seems to hurt my knees and feet more with trainers on.

For strength training I wouldn't wear trainers.

Exactly. I didn't have knee pain until I started wearing my shoes during my workouts. I am also always barefoot, so I guess I am used to that.