***EVERYONE READ PLEASEEEE!****

Options

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Crap. Apparently I did this wrong. I guess it was a lucky random act of kindness that I was sucessful at losing weight by eating my exercise calories. I thank you kindly as well as your nutritionist in correcting the error of my ways.

Or... The purpose of exercise should be to make you healthier, improve your cardiovascular system, increase lean muscle mass, tone your (potentially) floppy behind (I can say that, been there, done that :laugh: ) increase your metabolism, make you feel better about yourself, and generally make you an all around more fit person. Maybe... I don't know.

Good luck with the course of action you decide to take. There are many many different ways that people go about this whole getting healthy thing and nobody knows 100% which is the best way.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Ok... ya know what... you're right. You've been here for what? A month tops... so surely you know exactly how MFP works... and I'm SURE that your nutritionist knows exactly how MFP has calculated your calories, right? Whatever! I'm SO tired of this argument over and over again. Do whatever you're going to do... and when you hit a plateau and can't figure out why... THEN go back and read the posts that explain exactly how MFP works, exactly what the "exercise calories" are and what the reasoning behind it is.

Ask your nutritionist this: What is the maximum deficit that I should have? Maybe that will help.

I knew that I should NOT have read a post entitled "Everyone Read Pleaseeeeee"

I do not understand why someone would come onto a website to learn how to lose weight and then continue to argue that they know better... if you knew better to begin with - why do you have weight to lose?

Done

I :heart: you Sonja!! I know even as I was opening it that I shouldn't. :smokin:
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Please read the newbie posts! Several of the people who began those posts, and others who give information in them, base their comments on scientific studies. I admit that some of those were confusing for me at first. Here is a link to one that explained it in a way I could actually understand! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/79181-dogmeat-s-thoughts-on-weight-loss Here's another one that's really good. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories And another. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

I know where the logic of "less is better" comes from. Been there, done that. I can also tell you that if you workout a lot, and burn a lot everyday, your body will slow its rate of loss (it won't STOP, just slow WWWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYY down). Not exactly what we want. To top it off, when you stop working out as much, but continue eating the same, or when you start eating more, your body will store everything it possibly can as fat. It will NOT use the extra calories to build muscle. Again, NOT what we want! That is how "yo-yo" dieting happens (sometimes).

If you don't trust the information from this website, run a simple google search on caloric deficit, or eating exercise calories, or any other phrase you can think of. The more detailed the search phrase, the more exact the answers you find will be!

Good luck!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I think that the OP was probably just trying to be helpful but came off in a majorly wrong way. Youch! Please people remember that. It does no one any good to immediately tell people off about their posts.

Here is my suggestion to the OP and others who think it might work: Try it. See if it does. But maybe also do a search about eating exercise cals on MFP and see what the general consensus is regarding this topic. That way you have even more knowledge in your head so when and if you hit a plateau then you have something else to consider to try to break it.

This post, among other ones that have got many irritable comments about the same thing being posted over and over is a VERY good example of why a tutorial or some kind of more in depth explanation of how the site works should be part of the sign up requirements.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    :noway: Not again.

This site sets you up with a deficit to lose weight at the recommended 1 - 2 lbs per week. Without exercising. But you have to work with your body!!! Some people HAVE to eat all their exercise calories to lose weight. Some eat about 1/2 to lose regularly. Please make sure you fuel your body properly. If you need info about this, there are some links in my signature line you should read. At least give the system a fair shot the way it is set up. If it doesn't work after 4 - 6 weeks of doing it this way - then start playing with the numbers a little! You have to give your body time to adjust and start functioning properly, especially if you haven't been fueling it adequately for a long time!

Thanks girl!

:drinker:
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    oh gosh, good luck when the crap hits the fan later and everyone reads this...

amen!!
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    does your nutritionist realize that MFP already figured in a calorie defecit?
    If i were you, i'd be looking for a new nutritionist. If i went to her, and she told me to not eat my exercise calories, then i'd be eating about 800 calories a day.
    while i think this information may hold true for some, this is not something that everyone needs to follow. everyone is different, and i just hope that they all realize that.
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This post, among other ones that have got many irritable comments about the same thing being posted over and over is a VERY good example of why a tutorial or some kind of more in depth explanation of how the site works should be part of the sign up requirements.

Most people would just skip over it like a "terms of Agreement" clause....
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

For those interested, here is a suggestion I put forth. It goes beyond a tutorial (because yes, I think those get ignored too often). I think this confusion could be eased by just making the calculations more explicit in each person's diary so they see that there are many ways at getting to a deficit that is going to cause them to lose weight. I put it in a thread here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/89496-suggestion-to-end-the-exercise-calorie-confusion
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    A few points:
    1. You forgot to mention to your nutritionist that MFP has already created your calorie deficit through your diet -- that's where the "negative balance" (ie, calorie deficit) comes from! If you set your goals on MFP to "maintain current weight" and then entered your exercise & got your exercise calories (because then, you'd be using exercise to creat the deficit), your nutritionist would be 100% correct. In that scenario, no, you would not want to eat your exercise calories because otherwise you'd be maintaining your current weight (which is obviously not losing weight like you want to do). If you're confused, maybe you should go about it this way.

2. ANYONE can call legally title themselves a "nutritionist." A Registered Dietician is who you want to see about any of your nutrition needs. :wink:

3. If some people create too large of a calorie deficit they *will not lose weight.* Our bodies are equipped with a wonderfully efficient survial mechanism and can learn to cope decreased energy consumption by decreasing our metabolism. This is real. It does happen. And I'm living proof. :wink:

4. The point of working out when you've already set your calorie deficit through diet isn't so much about weight loss. It's about health. It does help weight loss a little, though, because as you activate more muscle, your metabolism increases which means it's further increasing the calorie deficit you are creating through diet even if you do eat 100% of your exercise calories.

Not everyone has to eat their exercise calories. Some people's bodies apparently don't defend against starving to death. My body, however, apparently has a will to live. :wink: I ate 1200 calories for 4.5 months & lost a lot of weight (53 pounds) and then my weight wouldn't budge. My body was desperately clinging to every bit of fat I had left. This is self-preservation & I can't blame it. I started eating more. 1350 + 50% of my exercise calories. Guess what -- my body is comfortable releasing fat again because it's not under the impression that I'm starving to death anymore.

There are countless people on MFP who have had similar experiences. We have no reason to lie to you. :smile:

Print off my post & take it to your nutritionist if you want. :smile:
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Wow.

I know it's frustrating to those who've been around a while to read blanket statements like the original post, but let's not beat up the new kid.

I think she was really excited because she thought she had something to share. She was wrong. Really, really wrong. It was very kind of those who posted links to helpful threads. But some of the other posts are bordering on bully-ism.

It's the rest of us dunderheads who actually read it knowing it wouldn't end well that should be beaten up!

My new rule is if the topic headline contains caps, asterisks, or any other kind of punctuation, the words Everyone, Read or Please in any order, and if any of the words are unnaturally elongated with extra letters, I'm staying clear.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Wow.

I know it's frustrating to those who've been around a while to read blanket statements like the original post, but let's not beat up the new kid.

I think she was really excited because she thought she had something to share. She was wrong. Really, really wrong. It was very kind of those who posted links to helpful threads. But some of the other posts are bordering on bully-ism.

DITTO!! Folks went here with their claws out. Some tired of repeats, some needing to show that they 'knew the right answer' and were waiting for someone to dare to cross their path. Even after the initial replies outlining the error of the post others had to add the same reguritated crap over and over again, quoting folks who already ripped this poor person up. I realize I quoted someone here (please don't hurt me). Why is it that people in so-called communities like this are so rude and dehumaized when they don't have to look someone in the face. Take a look at yourselves and your posts, are your proud of your actions here? What would you tell your child if you looked over their shoulder while they were 'ripping someone a new one'? And for what? Because this person wanted to joing your little clic? Grow up or get out!!
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    I'm sure that the OP meant well, but we all need to take what we know and use our own minds. that's what it boils down to.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options

Possibly so...however at least we would all be justified in our SIGH, Not again!, Please do a search, etc. etc. I know I would have read it.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I don't think anyone on here was being dehumanizing. Please understand that there is already sufficient information on here about this subject. For those of us who have been on here for a while, these posts are a constant annoyance. There is nothing wrong with telling someone that. I say it to peoples faces when they are looking for an easy way to lose weight.

IMO, its dangerous to come on to any site and make statements that are unsupported. If I went onto an auto mechanics site and posted that it is no longer necessary to change your oil, I'd be ridiculed. Especially if I didn't provide any supporting evidence other than the person who told me to tell everyone.

We here at MFP are passionate about healthy weightloss.

The OP was telling alot of people that what they are doing is wrong. People reacted. Thats how it goes. If you can't handle the reaction, don't make the statement to begin with.

Sorry.
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    One helpful repsonse is helpful, everything after that was an attack. Accept it.
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I hope the OP didn't take my post as irritation with them. It's not. It's irritation with thier nutrionist. LOL
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    The title of the post did read "EVERYONE read please"...so therefore, I think everyone read and responded. And I think many of us were being helpful in finding information that maybe the nutritionist didnt know (such as the deficit MFP already gives) and directing her to find information that would help her when she goes back to her nutritionist.
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    I don't wish to belabor this point. Those who came here looking for a fight for whatever reason know who you are. Those who came to help you know who you are too. Those who came to fight could learn something from the latter group.

Treat people with a little bit of diginity, compassion and acceptance. This site belongs to everyone. No one should be treated like garbage.

Now go and have a safe and happy easter, maybe no one will be mean to you this weekend.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am already eating 1200 calories a day to lose weight and most days I burn at least 500 calories exercising. This would leave me with a total of 700 calories a day if I do not eat any of my exercise calories. If you watch biggest loser when one of the contestants slow down losing weight and have upped their workout intensity they are told to eat more. Weight Watchers (which I have done in the past) suggests you use 1/2 of your calories (points) earned the day you burn them. I too went to :flowerforyou: a nutritionist and she said if you do not get enough calories into your body it can cause a starvation response and your body will hold on to weight as a protection. I do not eat all of my exercise calories but I do eat some of them. Personally I have noticed my weight loss is much more consistent when I get enough calories and nutrition. Previously before starting my program it would take me six months to lose 20 pounds. Since I have addressed my nutrition needs I have lost almost 21 pounds in 10 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.