not using shampoo and using conditioner instead

Options

Replies

• Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I dont shampoo that much -- or even i just rinse my hair

you all may think this is gross but my hair stopped growing for almost a year because i was damaging it so badly from straightening and what not -- so i needed a change -- I didnt wash my hair for about 2.5 months - no shampoo or conditioner just water -- then started to wash again but very little, no straightener and over the course of a year it has grown significantly

im just saying -- you dont really need to wash it :) no one even noticed i didnt wash my hair
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Use Dry shampoo spray its a god send, can not wash my hair up to 4 days.

I do this too. My schedule often requires me to perform or be at a rehearsal after a workout, so deodorant, fresh bath body wipes, and spray shampoo are always in my car. The spray shampoo does a really good job.
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    I lived with my hair stylist for a year and never thought to ask about this! Stumbled onto this thread, and now I've learned something new to try to keep my frizz to a minimum. Thanks!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I have to shampoo daily or my hair gets very oily.

If you think it'll work for you though, go for it.
  • Mnecka
    Mnecka Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It is a great thing to do!! It keeps your hair moisturized while gently cleansing in between actual washes.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Conditioner makes my hair greasy and weighted down. I never use it at all.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I always do shampoo every other day and conditioner every day. My hair isn't oily though, so it's worked out just fine for me.
    My hair is thick and wavy/curly.
  • Evilsick
    Evilsick Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one! I only wash wash My hair once a week or less. My hair breaks really easily, and it's thin and brittle, So I use clean and clear or something by Garnure fruitis or how ever you spell it.
    it's both conditioner and shampoo, If I need to condition extra, I will.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have very curly hair and long, in order to make my curls behave I only wash it with a clear shampoo once a week. I condition it every morning and after my workout. I deep condition it on the day I wash it with shampoo.

I've been told that you don't need to wash it every single day because you may not want to pull all of the good dirt out, the stuff that makes your hair behave.

But my hair is not a good go-by. I never wear it down and I usually always have a hard hat on. I've never colored it and it only gets trimmed 4 times a yr.

Good luck.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Twice a week. Mine is very long and dyed. Unless it's summer it stays nice. In summer it also gets washed more frequently.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I can't use most commercial shampoos or conditioners. All the chemicals irritate my scalp and leave me more oily than ever (anything containing SLS or SLES - which is pretty much everything, including Suave Naturals).

I found in Target in the Ethnic section shamopoo and conditioners called Shea Moisture. I use the shampoo and the leave in conditioner. No icky chemicals and my hair/scalp is much happier and easier to manage. Suds up really well for a natural shampoo. Small shampoo bottle which has lasted me over two months (w/ shoulder length hair) and I shampoo daily. Often I don't even need conditioner. I could get away with every other day of shampoo, but I can't get my hair to style nice for work if it isn't from a freshly washed state.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Depends on hair type. My hair (coarse and curly) can get shampoo once a week and not look oily. However my wife's hair (fine and straight) has to have shampoo every day or the oil shows.

JM
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have naturally oily hair I can't use conditioner at all. So yup I strip my hair everyday :(
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have naturally curly hair so even when I don't go to the gym, I have to wash it everyday. I have found that after the gym if you use the dry shampoo it saves your hair. Also, if you color your hair buy shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair and every 2 days only use the conditioner, if you have oily hair, use conditioner every 3-4 days.
  • Toya2xcel
    Toya2xcel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do this too! Its called co-washing. Some good ones to try are suave coconut and tresseme naturals! If I do feel like i need to shampoo my hair then I use a sulfate-free shampoo because sulfates really strip my hair.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    As another curly haired person, I also shampoo every other day and condition only on opposite days. The key for me is that I only condition the ends. If I put conditioner on my scalp then I have to shampoo every day. (I also use Aveda which I think makes a big difference- it rinses out better than any shampoo/conditioner I've used.)

Good luck!
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My wife doesn't use shampoo or condition for few months. Her hair is more healthier than she used those stuff. Her hair is very curly. She cleans her hair with vingear and baking soda once while on. It seems work with her and that's great.

There is youtube on this subject: No poo.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    Huh, I might try this! I have naturally curly but very thin hair and it is crazy frizzy. I can half control it with leave-in conditioner. What brands of shampoo are sulfate free? Will it say so on the bottle or do you look at the ingredients list?

I wonder if that's the same thing I'm allergic to in medicine. To the Googles!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Warning if you have light hair and hard well water: DON'T DO IT!

My hair turned a blue-green from copper in my water using this method. I have salt n' pepper hair, so those unpigmented strands I have soaked up all the minerals. If you are blond, the same thing could happen.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Easiest solution: buzz your hair off! I haven't used shampoo or conditioner in years, I just keep my hair at 1/8th inch ;)