Huge HIPS ...I know you can't really spot reduce...

Options
I know you can't really spot reduce. but I have HUGE hips(39inches). It makes them even more noticeable because i don't have much of a chest at all (34 AA) It seems like they arent shrinking any lately. I know men like a woman with hips but i just feel like mine are WAY too big.... any suggestions on anything i can do to help with this problems? thanks

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, be consistent, rinse/repeat. You're right, there's no way to spot reduce unless you go under the knife.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    So you know you can't spot reduce but you're looking on advice for spot reducing?

Continue what you're doing and try a little body recompositioning, in other words work on continuing to lose fat while doing some upper body work to broaden your shoulders and slim your waist.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, be consistent, rinse/repeat. You're right, there's no way to spot reduce unless you go under the knife.

IDEA Fitness member

Listen to him.

You'll lose body fat there eventually. Just give it time.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This.

Sounds like your hips is where you put on weight first and lose it last... so it's really about patience and consistency.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    39 inches is hardly "huge" for hips.

Geez!

And it sounds like you're pear shaped, so a lot of that is bone structure, not fat. Just get to your healthiest size and see what happens. That's all you can do.

I love my "huge" hips.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I know you can't really spot reduce. but I have HUGE hips(39inches). It makes them even more noticeable because i don't have much of a chest at all (34 AA) It seems like they arent shrinking any lately. I know men like a woman with hips but i just feel like mine are WAY too big.... any suggestions on anything i can do to help with this problems? thanks

I don't know your height or weight, but my wife is 38 in the hips and I think she's quite hot.
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    So you know you can't spot reduce but you're looking on advice for spot reducing?

Continue what you're doing and try a little body recompositioning, in other words work on continuing to lose fat while doing some upper body work to broaden your shoulders and slim your waist.

if your hips are big but youre tiny on top, at least try to make it balanced by building up back, shoulders, arms, etc. you wont look like the Hulk. You just to bring the attention to the top.

and ps my hips are 40? and i kinda feel like they are fine, even if I lost weight I woudnt mind them......but everyone has their ideal
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have the same measurements as you - hips and chest, and I'm 5ft

I'm almost 40, and was a dancer all my life.

Even when I was dancing 6 hours a day - I still had big hips,
    not as big as now, but never under 36in at my absolute skinniest.

Embrace the curves.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Might be excess fat, might be genetics.

If it's fat, continue at a calorie deficit, as previously mentioned.

If it's genetics, well, you can't fight genetics. Embrace the pear shape.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? and are they about as wide as your shoulders or more? I'm 5ft4 and mine are 41.5 inches, and although they are that wide because i'm carrying too much fat (190lbs) I don't think they are THAT wide. Maybe you are wearing clothes that focus on that part of your body?
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

I don't know your height or weight, but my wife is 38 in the hips and I think she's quite hot.

im 5'9 and about 163lbs
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I just looked through your photos. Your hips look pretty normal.
  • Chinadorian
    Options
    How tall are you? and are they about as wide as your shoulders or more? I'm 5ft4 and mine are 41.5 inches, and although they are that wide because i'm carrying too much fat (190lbs) I don't think they are THAT wide. Maybe you are wearing clothes that focus on that part of your body?

if they bug you with clothes on, you can help that by dressing for your body type

if they bug you when clothes off...well, you gotta work hard and then just be happy with the results.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Your hips aren't big.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Lifting really helped me in the trouble area like hips and thighs. I've lost over 6" on my hips alone in the last 3 months! ( and 39" hips isn't big... at all.)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    39 inches is NOT huge for someone who is 5'9", I am four inches shorter, that same hip size with a small (AA/ A) chest, a healthy weight and smaller than the UK national average dress size, tho not a healthy bodyfat percentage which is my issue. Keep working on reducing your bodyfat, any excess will start to go from that area eventually. If you truly honestly think you are huge, please go see a doctor about your distorted body image.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

im 5'9 and about 163lbs

LOL....you might start working on your own body image...I'm 5"8, 44 and have 41' hips, 29' waist and 34' bust....Would like to get the hips a little smaller, but love my curves...Stop thinking that looking like a plank is sexy....
  • Chinadorian
    Options
    you are 5'9", weigh 164 according to profile....39" hips is rockin for your body!
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Your hips aren't big.

Also has been repeated here several times, and you yourself said: you can't spot reduce, there are no suggestions possible. Just keep it up! You will see change as it happens.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

im 5'9 and 163lbs.... im planning to lose about 20 more pounds to get back to how i looked before i gained over 20lbs back from going on the depo shot. As for the clothes... i may be. im not sure.