What Do You Do For Extra Money?

Options

Replies

• Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I had a garage sale and made $2200....
    I also make and sell sterling silver and semi-precious stone jewelry....used to do craft shows but got into consignment stores now....
    I also used to do baking for some of the coffee shops around town (until making 10 sheet pans of baklava became too much work with classes....man....for the baklava I really should have made them give a 48 hr order window....)
  • samerzz16
    Options
    I tutor for the MCATs during the summer the reduce this Med School loan that is constantly building :-(
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    << Massage Therapist for extra income
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I hock extra anything laying about and take commissions. c:
  • binsylad
    Options
    By Day I am a Sales Manager in the City (LONDON) .... On the Side I am a Premier League Football Scout :-)
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    1. Drive school buses (usually pull a$100-$200 a month)
    2. Do light wrench work for people I know (brake pads, oil changes, basic maintenance) on cars & motorcycles
    3. Any kind of odd jobs when I'm off in June and July

JM
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can essentially "make extra money" by doing certain jobs yourself, rather than paying someone for their time. For example, my husband fixes our car himself (he is a physicist and designs and builds large machinery, so a car is basic small time stuff in comparison). That way he just needs to pay for the parts and does not need to pay someone for their time (which is often over priced).
  • krash999
    krash999 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    set up and move around cubicles at my main job..... it pays well, but i dont do it too often... and then during the summer i cut grass at a landscaping company when i get off my main job...
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can increase your income from your main job by becoming more qualified or applying for a promotion? This is what I've always done, I don't want to work more hours...

Already working on that. Got a small promotion starting in April and will get a raise before february so that'll definitely help. It's not like I'm in desparate need of a ton of extra money...I was just thinking something on the side that can give my wife and I some extra money for entertainment and such. We spend most of our money now trying to pay off our bills.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Fix computers.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Portraiture and wedding photography.

http://www.neelifaulkner.com
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Serious answer: I do baking on the side. I went to culinary school but I got a full time office job to pay off the loan for now.

and i pimped the **** out of her muffins, if you know what I mean

:laugh: :laugh:

Tutor college level statistics
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    i tried ChaCha but the traffic has seriously died since they put limits for Infoseekers and we dont get paid as much. You may hear some people say .10-.20/question and thats true for 1 of the roles but the traffic sucks so youre lucky to make $5/hr. Its a great job but you dont make as much as you use to. Been there since 07.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I do commissioned acrylic paintngs for people.

I also make custom diaper cakes that people can purchase for baby shower gifts.

I'm currently trying to get into body painting. So far I've had a few pregnant customers that have let me paint their "baby bumps". So cute!

These are all hobbies of mine that bring in a little cash, but not enough to live on.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I sell too-big clothes and other stuff I don't need on eBay. It's paid really well so far, especially for stuff that's just sitting around (and it keeps me motivated to lose weight so I can sell my bigger clothes!) :)
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Makeup, ebay
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Oh, and did I mention: prayer?
  • red9812
    red9812 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have been selling things that I no longer use/wear/need on eBay. Slow at the moment, but I have made some nice spending money.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Oh, and did I mention: prayer?

Without delving too much into a religious discussion....praying for extra money doesn't exactly seem like the best use of your time with god. I'm not religous at all and therefore do not pray...but if I did I definitely would not be praying for a check.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, not a whole lot these days. I simply don't have the time with two rug rats in the house. I'm a financial accountant and used to help people with their books a lot for side jobs, especially when it was time for year end close. Mostly small mom and pop type of stuff that don't really need a full time accountant, just someone to set their books straight for end of year close so they could do their taxes properly and/or provide legitimate accounting records to get loans, etc. Not a tax accountant so I was never much help there other than advising them to talk to one of my tax accountant buddies.