Do you count housework towards your daily cals.

Replies

• kerock37
    kerock37 Posts: 10 Member
    You are incorrect. I can handle all the feedback. What I cannot handle is feedback that is belittling or insulting to anyone not just me.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I could agree more with tmatzk2! Thank goodness I have a thick skin, but others may not. I simply wanted to know if deep cleaning, cleaning ceilings, windows, fans (taking apart and cleaning), up and down on a ladder, scrubbing floors on hands and knees should be counted as it is outside my daily cleaning. For someone new to the site I cannot believe how ugly some people can get. I will not be posting anymore questions or ask for advice. I thought the message boards were for encouragement and feedback in a respectful manner, not necessarily positive but respectful. Apparently I was incorrect. As soon as I can figure it out I will be deleting this topic.

In other words, you didn't get the answer you wanted so everyone who didn't give you that answer is a bully.

In other words, you and a few others cannot leave it as a simple no and feel the need to belittle people. I don't know why. This is supposed to be a place for people to go and feel encouraged, not make them feel stupid.

Please refer back to page 1, last post. OH! Would you look at that, it's a post by none other than ME. OH! OH! It also has only one word written and that word was a simple NO.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Everyday cleaning? No. Major cleaning yes! I also log gardening, mowing, etc. because I don't do that type of work DAILY! YES it counts and yes, I get other exercise in. I lost 40lbs without a gym!
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    No, and it annoys me when people do.
  • evelynfarmer
    evelynfarmer Posts: 135 Member
    I don't. I don't think I put in that much effort, I am not sweating and my heart rate def doesn't get up enough to log in my opinion.
  • HeatherSanto
    HeatherSanto Posts: 138 Member
    I counted when I did yardwork ( raking leaves) or any heavy moving or furniture. Something that is intense I do. Regularly no.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Just because someone doesn't do what you do, do it the way you do it, or give you the answer you want to hear doesn't mean they are "dissing" you or "being ugly".

Oh, puh-leze. Someone started a thread mocking this one, that's not just giving a differing opinion in a straightforward manner. They're just being **** heads and having fun at other peoples expense and everyone here knows it.

Then complain in that thread, not this one.

This type of thing happens a lot, where people complain about other being mean/rude/unsupportive/whatever. I'm just trying to figure out who exactly is being mean/rude/unsupportive in this thread.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    When it's a deep cleaning that I don't normally do then yes, I will count those calories because it takes me 4-5 hours to vacuum, mop, dust and clean the entire house and I'm usually beat and sweaty by time I'm done.

Regular weekly cleaning I don't count.
  • I could agree more with tmatzk2! Thank goodness I have a thick skin, but others may not. I simply wanted to know if deep cleaning, cleaning ceilings, windows, fans (taking apart and cleaning), up and down on a ladder, scrubbing floors on hands and knees should be counted as it is outside my daily cleaning. For someone new to the site I cannot believe how ugly some people can get. I will not be posting anymore questions or ask for advice. I thought the message boards were for encouragement and feedback in a respectful manner, not necessarily positive but respectful. Apparently I was incorrect. As soon as I can figure it out I will be deleting this topic.

In other words, you didn't get the answer you wanted so everyone who didn't give you that answer is a bully.

In other words, you and a few others cannot leave it as a simple no and feel the need to belittle people. I don't know why. This is supposed to be a place for people to go and feel encouraged, not make them feel stupid.

Please refer back to page 1, last post. OH! Would you look at that, it's a post by none other than ME. OH! OH! It also has only one word written and that word was a simple NO.

Maybe so for your first post but you keep coming back to keep adding your two cents in and making sure people feel stupid for asking this question, then making a total mock of it in a troll thread. Again, not what I would expect from a site that is supposed to be encouraging to others.
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    I log everything. From what I eat, drink to what activity I do. What excercise I do to what household chore I do.

I only eat my extra calories if I do heavy cardio as doing the dishes does not really work up my heartbeat very much.

I eat as per the Canadian Food Guide and as organic as I can get.

That has got me down 12 lbs and 5 1/2 inches in almost 3 months.

Good luck to you on your weightloss journey:)
  • Susantuti
    Susantuti Posts: 168 Member
    Once a month I deep clean the house, ceilings, baseboards, fans, on my hands and knees waxing the floor, etc. Would you count this as an activity? Trust me at the end of the day I hurt.

I do not count my daily cleaning sweeping, dusting, straightening up. I know I sound a wee bit anal, but we have 5 dogs :smile:

I don't count the everyday cleaning but if it's a once a month big cleaning or a once in a while big project i do count that.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    I wouldn't log it. Call it a bonus workout and treat yourself to an ice cream cone :flowerforyou:
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    I log everything. From what I eat, drink to what activity I do. What excercise I do to what household chore I do.

I only eat my extra calories if I do heavy cardio as doing the dishes does not really work up my heartbeat very much.

I eat as per the Canadian Food Guide and as organic as I can get.

That has got me down 12 lbs and 5 1/2 inches in almost 3 months.

Good luck to you on your weightloss journey:)
    Don't call it a journey. The know it all's will sure pounce on you for that one.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I could agree more with tmatzk2! Thank goodness I have a thick skin, but others may not. I simply wanted to know if deep cleaning, cleaning ceilings, windows, fans (taking apart and cleaning), up and down on a ladder, scrubbing floors on hands and knees should be counted as it is outside my daily cleaning. For someone new to the site I cannot believe how ugly some people can get. I will not be posting anymore questions or ask for advice. I thought the message boards were for encouragement and feedback in a respectful manner, not necessarily positive but respectful. Apparently I was incorrect. As soon as I can figure it out I will be deleting this topic.

Maybe so for your first post but you keep coming back to keep adding your two cents in and making sure people feel stupid for asking this question, then making a total mock of it in a troll thread. Again, not what I would expect from a site that is supposed to be encouraging to others.

I'm glad that you're deciding what I'm attempting to make people feel. So you've now made up two instances that are incorrect. Great job.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    No, and it annoys me when people do.
    Why do you even care what other people log. Does it affect your weight loss? No..
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    I do not log normal cleaning but when I do extra not ordinary cleaning I will log it.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Maintenance cleaning - NO. But the deep spring cleaning where you are going the extra mile to move the furniture, climb the ladder, etc. for an extend period of time - for sure.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    I don't count it. I believe I counted it when I moved since I was carrying heavy boxes up the stairs for hours, but that's basically it. And it honestly was just to make me feel a little better about not hitting the gym because I was too busy moving ;)
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    If your activity level is set to sedentary and you are doing non-sedentary things for at least 30 minutes, log it. Obviously, you don't want to log the walk from your front door to your car, but serious deep cleaning is a whole different animal. However, if you are set to lightly active, it's already figured in for you.

Another way to figure out whether you should log it: Are you currently losing weight? If you are, you know you are in a calorie deficit. Add in your deep cleaning for a month or so. If you stall out, you probably don't need to log it. But if you continue to lose weight, feel free to add it in.

Adding EVERYTHING that is out of the norm is a good idea, because you have a record you can go back to and say, "Well, last month I lost a bunch of weight, but this month I lost none. But last month I was doing a lot more [insert activity], so I probably need to get in a little more exercise."

This is a good post. I don't include my heavy cleaning personally. Not because I shouldn't but because I don't really care to as I don't usually eat back my calories but I have no problem with people who do. many of my friends add their cleaning.

People on MFP can be extremely judgmental, it's something you just have to get used too. If a friend is giving you a hard time remember you can always unfriend them but do what is right and works for you. Heavy cleaning gets my heart rate up more than my strength training but I include that. Not all exercise is aerobic. Good luck, you will quickly learn to weed through the troll posts.
  • BananaCat83
    BananaCat83 Posts: 77 Member
    I can understand the daily cleaning, but when I deep clean it takes a full day (8 - 10 hrs). I also use a toothbrush on baseboards and the shower tile. Lord I cannot seem to keep that tile clean. And how is it that is only in my husbands bathroom?

It might be his soap! My husband uses Irish Spring bar soap and I use Olay body wash...I find that his soap leaves a LOT more soap scum/reside in the shower than mine.