Do you count housework towards your daily cals.

Options

Replies

• cloza12
    cloza12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You could get a hrm and that will tell you how many calories you've burned. With all the mixed opinions here I think that would be your best bet.
  • Skyfire23
    Options
    This whole debate about is or isn't housework exercise is ridiculous. It is movement, and if it works to count it, there's no reason not to.

I could write a whole article about this, but I'll try to keep it short.

Try it. If you count it and eat those calories back, and you don't lose that week, you'll know you shouldn't count it. If you still lose, then you'll know it was a good idea to count it. You might think you don't want to risk not losing for a week; that's understandable, but think about this long term. In the long term, logging one day of cleaning a month isn't going to change your numbers all that much.

I don't count cleaning as exercise, but I don't do marathon cleaning sessions.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    No.. nor do I count strolling to the park with my kids, walking around the lake throwing rocks in the water, washing the car, painting my spare bedroom, cooking, doing laundry, dancing at a wedding..... I agree with the previous poster who said that is life, not exercise.

This

It also allows for room for error in case something had more calories than actuality, or if the exercise you actually did (running, weights etc) was over exagerrated on MFP.

I personally think it's silly when people add "moderate cleaning" or "prepping food" to their work out. Yea, yuo're moving, but you move from the time you get out of bed, till the time you go back to bed unless you're a vegetable or physically incapable of it.
  • catbyrd
    catbyrd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, count it. It is not something that you do on a normal everyday basis, so that is extra exercise for your body. I wouldn't eat back all of the calories burned, but logging even the little things that you do on a daily basis can be encouraging when you are first starting. Especially if you do not have time to go to the gym everyday. It makes you realize that you are doing more than you think you are everyday. Don;t eat back all of the points earned for the little things, but think of them as a bonus to yourself and pat yourself on the back for getting up off of the couch and doing something. Godd luck!!
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I usually don't count it but out of curiousity this past Sunday I wore my HRM while I did laundry, folded clothes and ironed, in 2 hours I burned 421 calories!!! I still didn't log it as a workout but I was very pleased to know that I burned that on top of what I burned from Zumba that day!!
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Just curious. If you say you can't log housework in your daily calories, then can you log steps in you are doing the 10,000 steps. Just curious.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Nope, I only count actual workouts. I feel like trying to count things that I would be doing anyway is shooting myself in the foot.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I can understand the daily cleaning, but when I deep clean it takes a full day (8 - 10 hrs). I also use a toothbrush on baseboards and the shower tile. Lord I cannot seem to keep that tile clean. And how is it that is only in my husbands bathroom?

Do you do housecalls?

:flowerforyou:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    5 pages of No's from the successful people, just saying.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    5 pages of No's from the successful people, just saying.

That's what I was thinking. From looking at pics and tickers, the successful people who are at or near goal are the ones arguing in the no camp.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP I didn't have enough stamina for really large calorie burns and I had my goal set to lose 2lbs a week and I was HUNGRY! So when I discovered that cleaning counted as exercise, you bet I logged it! Since then I have lowered my goal to 1lb. a week and have learned to eat better foods, which enables me to stay withing my calorie goal. So I no longer log housework. It probably depends on how physically out of shape you are, but I did lose weight eating back those housecleaning calories. But to answer your actual question, I do sometimes still log the really deep cleaning, but it's just for fun. I don't eat the calories back anymore. =)
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    No
    nope
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My BMF counts it, as does everymove.com. Since I already have trouble eating enough calories and having a huge deficit, I have to count it otherwise I'd be in an even bigger hole. I do not log it here but I do count those calories when it comes to eating them back. I do log it on everymove.com to get the points.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    Oh this threads just make me laugh. It is a great way to entertain myself. I do not log cleaning...never really thought of it. But I fully intend on logging shoveling out of a blizzard. As that is out of my normal activity. If you deep clean on a regular basis and have your activity level set to anything beyond sedentary..I probably wouldn't log it. But that is just my opinion.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    if you live in a two story, 4 bed, 2 bath home and you scrub it from top to bottom which means moving all the furniture around, flipping mattresses, getting out the ladder to clean ceiling fans, lights, tops of kitchen cabinets, inside kitchen cabinets (this involves removing every item out of the cabinet to clean entire inside of cabinet), dusting, scrubbing kitchen/bathroom floors, scrubbing showers, washing windows (inside and out), washing baseboards and crown molding, moving kitchen appliances to clean behind plus laundry appliances, sweeping, vacuuming, dusting and finally scrubbing toilets inside and out i don't care who you are but you work up a sweat and you get your heart rate up.

these things are not normal everyday cleaning tasks (okay maybe vacuuming, sweeping, dusting are everyday tasks)

for someone that lives in a small apartment you probably will not work up a good sweat even doing all these things but if you live in a big home you must certainly will sweat. if you are like me and also include the garage when "spring/winter" cleaning so that's sweeping, cleaning windows, doors and ledge, climbing the ladder to retrieve storage bins, sorting storage bins and returning storage bins to shelving.

when i do this - i log it as exercise.
  • MicheleNaame
    MicheleNaame Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I definitely count it. I do heavy duty housecleaning once a week for about 4 hours and get quite the workout.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    No
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Nope.
    I live in a 2 story house - 3 baths, 3 bedrooms and keep it clean.

I never log housework, even when I am doing heavy cleaning - I scrub 3000 square feet of floors on my hands and knees.
    Never considered it exercise before, do not now when I am counting cals.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I do not, that way it gives me some bounce room for errors on logging.

I don't do a lot of cleaning, LOL. But the above response sounds good!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Nope. Consider it bonus calories burned.

I agree with this post