Les Mills Combat

Options
2»

Replies

• kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've been asking about this program today! Glad that everyone has good things to say. I love kickboxing and have checked out a couple of these video too. I think am going to order it this week!
  • newmrsdec10
    newmrsdec10 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I do Body Combat 3xs a week for cardio... However not the video but the live class... I am going to treat myself to the videos for Christmas though because I LOVE it so much!

Me too! I've been doing BodyCombat for about 5 years at my gym and I.LOVE.IT. I already ordered the DVDs and will start in January too. It's my goal to do the Instructor training (actually my 2012 goal, but they haven't offered one in my area yet! So soon to be my continued 2013 goal, ha!)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 10 and really enjoying it. I didn't find Insanity boring, but what I found with Insanity, was I couldn't do other workouts on the same days due to the intensity and fear of injury. I'm not concerned with injuries with Combat. I find the trainers very entertaining and the program very complete. I'm doing P90X2 at the same time and have had to change up my P90X2 schedule as I'm doing the strength training phase and I didn't want plyo or strength training on both the same days. It was super that I could do the HIIT workouts on the same days I run or bike, which I couldn't do in Insanity. I'm hoping for hip strength and flexibility both areas I struggle with as a runner, so far so good.
  • JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Combat is one of my favourites! Initially I didn't burn too many calories, but now I know more of the moves and can up the intensity I reach 400-500 fairly easily (I'm short and weigh about 115lbs so it takes a bit of effort to burn).

I have some knee and back issues, I usually do the low impact alternative. I find it really fun and a great stress reliever. Concentrate on getting good form and you'll get more out of it. The current release is mad! In a good way :wink:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Just looked it up..it sounds awesome! But question..why is it $30 more for the gloves? Which kit did you get?

Edit to clarify my question about the gloves. Are they worth the extra $30? Why do you need the gloves?

I have the gloves and like them. I think they encourage me to hold my hands in a better position and to keep my grip tighter. It's personal preference IMO. I looked around the internet for other options and didn't find any product I thought I would like better. After using Beach Body products for their workouts and off the shelf products for Beach Body products, I find that I always feel the items sold for that specific program are generally a better bet for me. I think it depends on what you want to spend your money on, for me, it was worth the difference as I get a better workout.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Tried it last week... it was okay, but I found it repetitive just punches and more punches, kicks and more kicks... and the burn... though I tried to push hard during the workout... was LESS than my treadmill... got 317 calories for 43 minutes of effort. In 44 minutes on the treadmill, I burned 364 calories. Just sayin'.

I do the classes at the gym so I can't speak for the DVD but treadmill/walking at 4.1+, I burn about 300 calories an hour. A 55 minute combat class is usually good for at least 500 for me. Oftentimes >600.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    Since i'm a martial artist, i might get this system as a supplement to my training. Can't hurt, right?
  • frankie204
    frankie204 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have it and am addicted! I'm a coach so I got a good deal on the biggest pack, and my husband literally has to convince me not to go in and throw in a third workout for the day they are so fun. Hit me up with a message if you are interested in ordering or coaching :)
  • frankie204
    Options
    Using it and LOVE it! It was the first time I got to use my coaching discount, so I figured "what the heck?" I really wasn't sure what to expect because I am more of an Insanity and P90Xer. But after blowing through most of the BB programs several times I really needed a change. I had just done back to back rounds of Insanity, and although great results were had as usual, my feet were killing me.

I opened the Combat DVDs Christmas morning and have been doing two workouts a day since.Just last night I was dancing in the kitchen to a song from Kata45 and had to restrain myself from going downstairs to thrown one in.

Please don't hesitate to shoot me a pm if you have any specific questions about this workout or any others. I love to share my experiences, good and bad, with these programs :)
  • frankie204
    Options
    Just looked it up..it sounds awesome! But question..why is it $30 more for the gloves? Which kit did you get?

Edit to clarify my question about the gloves. Are they worth the extra $30? Why do you need the gloves?

It's not just the gloves you are paying for in the larger set. I went for the ultimate kit because I get a discount, to be honest I probably wouldn't have otherwise...but I also got a number of workout DVDs that I wouldn't have gotten with the base kit.
  • annas3911
    Options
    I absolutely love body combat - I've been doing it for about 8 years now! It really depends on how good the instructor you have is as well - I've got an awesome one who mixes all the old releases up and keeps us on our toes. I don't think you'll find a better class :)
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Have been doing Combat for a year now (even followed my instructor to a new gym when the one I was at got bought out and dropped the Les Mills Programs) Love it! I take two combat classes a week, have not tried the DVD's since I'm having way too much fun in the classes. I think it all depends on the instructor you have, when I was at the other gym, I took pump twice a week (they don't offer it at a time I can go at the new place) and I liked how one instructor taught it, but not the other.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    First time doing the combat Kata workout, I only burned 312 calories. 2nd time, I burned 417. Not bad for 43 minutes.
  • jeremyjhartley
    jeremyjhartley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For those that were wondering about one, I created a P90X/Combat Hybrid Calendar. I essentially took the P90X/Insanity Calendar and replace any of the insanity workouts with Combat. Here is the link to the google calendar:
    http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=MTllYjdjb3F1Y2JlcG5nMTZsdGMzZGtva2NAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ

Here is the link to the CSV file so that you can alter the dates and make your own.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwT-4vbSav9_bVh3Q0VqRG54LVE/edit?usp=sharing
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Good to hear... I am thinking about adding it to my fitness library ;)
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love body combat - I've been doing it for about 8 years now! It really depends on how good the instructor you have is as well - I've got an awesome one who mixes all the old releases up and keeps us on our toes. I don't think you'll find a better class :)

See I like the old releases and I feel like I will be disappointed if I go out an buy the dvds and not get the same sort of workout. I wish I could buy some of those old releases but, I know it's not allowed. Oh well.