Best way to incorporate protein powder.

Options
2»

Replies

• dragonleo13
    Options
    I use a vegan protein powder called Vega 1 - you can go to their site and request a sample - which is nice. Tonight I wanted some holiday ice cream or egg not so instead I took the Vega 1 vanilla chai and added it to a cup of Gingerbread Kefir. It tastes just like a gingerbread eggnog thingy, lol. Normally I add hemp milk or oat milk to it. The reason I like it so much is that it has no SOY, it's hard to find things Soy free anymore.
  • BeccaBoo0406
    BeccaBoo0406 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can also add it to pudding and jello. Jello I use the vanilla protein powder but, with the pudding it depends. If I am making chocolate pudding I add chocolate protein other flavors I add the vanilla.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    The BEST way is not at all.

Protein powder is a great addition to a diet that doesn't get enough protein from foods. I use it for that reason. I am vegetarian and besides eggs I don't eat anything that has a decent amount of protein in it so powders help me meet that macro.
    If eggs are your only source of protein, you will have other deficiencies that a protein powder wont fix. Get as many greens in your diet as possible, in whatever way you want: soups, salads, juices, smoothies, steamed, raw, whatever it takes. Get as many fruits as you can, too. If you are eating a whole foods diet with fruits and vegetables as the base, you will not need protein supplements.

You don't get nearly enough protein in your diet to hit proper amounts by eating fruits and vegetables alone. I'm not sure why you seem so against protein powders however everyone needs to hit their macros in whatever ways they feel is best for them.

My deficiencies are limited to protein and B vitamins which I take a suppliment for.

I do eat other forms of protein however do not meet the goals I have. There are only so many eggs you can eat, milk you can drink, beans you can eat, yogurt you can eat, etc in a day.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You can also add it to pudding and jello. Jello I use the vanilla protein powder but, with the pudding it depends. If I am making chocolate pudding I add chocolate protein other flavors I add the vanilla.

Depending on how strict of a vegetarian the OP is Jello may not be an option as it contains animal byproducts.

It does sound like a yummy idea though.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    . If you are eating a whole foods diet with fruits and vegetables as the base, you will not need protein supplements.

unless you want enough protein to maintain muscle mass

fruits and veggies are great foods and you should eat them but they are NOT an adequate source of protein
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Protein powder is a great addition to a diet that doesn't get enough protein from foods. I use it for that reason. I am vegetarian and besides eggs I don't eat anything that has a decent amount of protein in it so powders help me meet that macro.
    If eggs are your only source of protein, you will have other deficiencies that a protein powder wont fix. Get as many greens in your diet as possible, in whatever way you want: soups, salads, juices, smoothies, steamed, raw, whatever it takes. Get as many fruits as you can, too. If you are eating a whole foods diet with fruits and vegetables as the base, you will not need protein supplements.

That is by far the worst advice I have seen on this site. Please say you are not serious.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You don't get nearly enough protein in your diet to hit proper amounts by eating fruits and vegetables alone. I'm not sure why you seem so against protein powders however everyone needs to hit their macros in whatever ways they feel is best for them.

My deficiencies are limited to protein and B vitamins which I take a suppliment for.

I do eat other forms of protein however do not meet the goals I have. There are only so many eggs you can eat, milk you can drink, beans you can eat, yogurt you can eat, etc in a day.
    What are your protein goals? Most people get too much.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    . If you are eating a whole foods diet with fruits and vegetables as the base, you will not need protein supplements.

fruits and veggies are great foods and you should eat them but they are NOT an adequate source of protein
    You wont lose muscle mass unless you go calorie deficient and your body needs it for fuel. I have gained muscle, and strength, since changing to a whole foods plant based diet. I do concede that i eat legumes in addition to fruits and veg, and sometimes grains, but no animal products or protein supplements.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

You wont lose muscle mass unless you go calorie deficient and your body needs it for fuel. I have gained muscle, and strength, since changing to a whole foods plant based diet. I do concede that i eat legumes in addition to fruits and veg, and sometimes grains, but no animal products or protein supplements.

I have learned not to argue with you. If you are happy with your body and the way it looks, then good for you. But your advice about nutrition is off base and incorrect and extreme vegan. There is nothing wrong with vegan but you are an extremist.

good luck
  • Rocbola
    Options

I have learned not to argue with you. If you are happy with your body and the way it looks, then good for you. But your advice about nutrition is off base and incorrect and extreme vegan. There is nothing wrong with vegan but you are an extremist.

good luck
    What is extreme about eating fruits, vegetables, beans, seeds, nuts, and grains? Fruits and vegetables are the healthiest foods out there, and anyone who tells you otherwise is usually selling something. My nutritional info is honest and blunt, but not off base or extreme in the least.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    let's not hi jack the thread
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options

whats your deal bro? you dont have to use protein powder if you dont want to but theres nothing wrong with trying to get some extra protein for those trying to build muscle or dont get enough protein in there diet as long as your still getting the other nutrients you need,
    i seriously want to know what your problem is with protein powder. is it just because your one of those stubborn people who think there is only one way to do things and that everything else is wrong? or what
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What is extreme about eating fruits, vegetables, beans, seeds, nuts, and grains? Fruits and vegetables are the healthiest foods out there, and anyone who tells you otherwise is usually selling something. My nutritional info is honest and blunt, but not off base or extreme in the least.
    The only thing that's off-base is you coming in and bombing/hijacking every thread with your vegan extremism. The OP's thread title is "The best way to incorporate protein powder" - not "Please try to convert me to radical veganism". Somebody else has a thread going titled "Protein for vegetarians" - I'm sure your input would be welcome there (or maybe not - but at least it would be on-topic).

Back on topic - I sometimes add protein powder to oatmeal. Haven't yet tried the suggestion of yogurt and protein powder in the freezer, but want to try it soon, sounds great!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Well I do prefer to get mine from my food/drink like milk, greek yogurt soy and wheat gluten, but sometimes it is just not enough to get to the levels needed to be optimal to maintain my muscle mass while on a deficit. These levels being based on peer reviewed studies I have seen as well as recommendations from extremely respected people in the field of nutrition.

OP: I mix mine with greek yogurt (never thought about freezing it though - good idea there) or I make chai tea lattes. Mix with milk in a blender or blender bottle and heat in the microwave for 1 minute (no more as it will denature) - then use to mix with tea, coffee or hot chocolate etc.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

Lol wut
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound nasty but its amazing: Brand is Whey to build muscle, flavor apple crisp. Cook in egg beaters. Tastes like apple pie.