Foods to stay away from/ minimize?

Options
2 months ago I was 125 and now I'm 137, the holidays came around and I got really off track. Especially with all the sweets at work. One thing I have noticed though is that I drink milk all the time and lots of bread, should I try cutting them out more? I have really limited the sweets but with working out I feel like I should be losing more. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Both dairy and bread would be something to avoid/minimize.

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    meats (especially processed)
    salt
    food chemicals
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I dont avoid anything, really. I just track everything and make sure I don't exceed my daily caloric needs (except occassionally!) :happy:
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I dont avoid anything, really. I just track everything and make sure I don't exceed my daily caloric needs (except occassionally!) :happy:

I agree with this. Minimize perhaps, if certain foods cause problems or are "trigger" foods, but nothing (within reason) should be "off limits" in my opinion.

But, to be fair, I am not a Doctor and I do not play one on TV, so what do I know?
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I've cut almost 100% completely out would be french fries, potato chips, and anything you can find in a box or bag at a gas station.

Other than that, I eat all good things, in moderation, using portion control.

My main priority through the day is getting all my good health guidelines in (it's a weight watcher thing), which includes 5 to 6 servings of veggies and fruit, 2 to 3 lean protein, at least 2 dairy products, and a small serving of healthy oil (ie olive oil).

As long as I meet those guidelines for the day, I can have anything I want as long as it's still within my calorie budget, even if it's ice cream and pie.

They also give you a set amount of weekly points in addition to your daily, which can be used for splurges (ie parties, restaurant dining, etc.)

It's not a diet, but a lifestyle. One of the many rewards of making it to goal is I get a higher amount of calories/points to play with, than if I were still in weight loss mode. It's pretty freaking awesome.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple in most cases. Buy the bulk of your food from the perimeter of the store and steer clear of wandering up and down the aisles. The perimiter is where the produce and (mostly) non precessed meats hang out.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I would minimize fried/ breaded food, sugary drinks, high sodium foods, fatty meats, etc...opt instead for baked, roasted or grilled lean cuts of meat-boneless/skinless chicken breasts, lean ground turkey/beef, salmon, etc, drink more water, eat more veggies, fruits, beans, nuts, and whole grains. Choose "natural" peanut butter that doesn't have added sugar, but avoid "reduced fat or fat free, because the fat in PB is what makes it good for you. When using oil stick with olive or canola. Up your fiber and protein intake, as well. And again don't totally avoid "fats", just mainly stick with the "good fats" , monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats found in olive oil, almonds, avocados, etc....Also buy a food scale to accurately determine portion sizes. And like the above person stated you don't have to totally avoid the bad stuff all the time. It's about eating a healthy, balanced diet and living a healthy, balanced life, which sometimes will involve pizza, cake, etc...just learn to moderate your portions and choose wisely.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

This.

By tracking, I come to realize what is calorie dense that I have to be careful about. But I also am able to continue to enjoy food, in all its variety. The only way I can imagine being successful in the long term.

ETA: I do avoid fried foods, mostly because they make me fell ill. And nothing tastes good enough for that to make sense to me.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation/ portion control
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    salt
    food chemicals

breads are fine
    dairy is fine
    oils are fine
    Sugars are fine
    meats are fine
    salt is fine
    food chemicals, I'll give you that one.
  • Addisonquinn
    Options
    Thanks a ton everyone!
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation/ portion control

THIS, but avoid anything deep fried, loaded with an unnatural amount of sugar, oh and things that just plain riddled with processed junk
  • Rocbola
    Options

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    salt
    food chemicals

breads are fine
    dairy is fine
    oils are fine
    Sugars are fine
    meats are fine
    salt is fine
    If you've made the decision to eat those things, fine, but don't suggest to someone else that they are perfectly ok to eat, because they are not. If you had a diet that was heavy on bread, dairy, oils, sugars, meats, and salt, you are a lot more likely to come down with one of the diseases that kills most people in this country. like heart disease.

You cannot escape the biological laws of cause and effect. If you eat that type of food, what happens to you will be the same thing that happens to everyone else who eats that food. I've known too many great people who died of heart disease to not take it seriously.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The only things I avoid are foods that are not that important to me but that will make it harder to meet my goals. It's going to be different things for different people. For some it's really important to have real butter. I'm just as happy with light margarine so that's what I use because the calories are lower. Some would tell you to cut out potatoes and gravy, and usually I don't have them just because they're so calorie dense but on Thanksgiving and Christmas I enjoy them and don't feel guilty, because it's important to me to have them.

I don't believe that any food is innately bad, it's all about context.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    salt
    food chemicals

Or you could just try eating in moderation and only cutting out the things that do not fit in your calorie/macro goals.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    salt
    food chemicals

breads are fine
    dairy is fine
    oils are fine
    Sugars are fine
    meats are fine
    salt is fine
    If you've made the decision to eat those things, fine, but don't suggest to someone else that they are perfectly ok to eat, because they are not. If you had a diet that was heavy on bread, dairy, oils, sugars, meats, and salt, you are a lot more likely to come down with one of the diseases that kills most people in this country. like heart disease.

You cannot escape the biological laws of cause and effect. If you eat that type of food, what happens to you will be the same thing that happens to everyone else who eats that food. I've known too many great people who died of heart disease to not take it seriously.

Links to the resesarch that supports your claims?
  • bdamaster60
    Options

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    salt
    food chemicals

breads are fine
    dairy is fine
    oils are fine
    Sugars are fine
    meats are fine
    salt is fine

If you eat the way as you proclaim yourself to eat you're going to have the same result as everyone else. Dead. Salt as in sodium you're body needs to regulate blood, fats from oils such as olive oil and flax seed oil propels organ function and bolsters the immune system. Dairy is source for calcium for healthy bone development and prevents cramps (sometimes). Sugars are just carbs, and energy source your body uses as fuel through daily activity and replenishes glycogen stores. Breads such as wholegrain breads are also carb sources with the inclusion of fibre emanating from the 'wholegrains' for slower digestion and slower release of sugar into the blood stream. Last my favourite meat, my favourite source of protein, give me a cow i'll cut its belly open and eat it any time. To build muscle the body requires protein for muscle protein synthesis obviously. Meats such as chicken, beef, turkey, duck, pork etc. have far a higher bio-availability than vegetables. And just for good measure I recently got my blood test results back from the doc, surprisingly all results were found superior to all of his patients. Why? because I hypertrophy resistance train.
  • Rocbola
    Options

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    salt
    food chemicals

breads are fine
    dairy is fine
    oils are fine
    Sugars are fine
    meats are fine
    salt is fine

If you eat the way as you proclaim yourself to eat you're going to have the same result as everyone else. Dead. Salt as in sodium you're body needs to regulate blood, fats from oils such as olive oil and flax seed oil propels organ function and bolsters the immune system. Dairy is source for calcium for healthy bone development and prevents cramps (sometimes). Sugars are just carbs, and energy source your body uses as fuel through daily activity and replenishes glycogen stores. Breads such as wholegrain breads are also carb sources with the inclusion of fibre emanating from the 'wholegrains' for slower digestion and slower release of sugar into the blood stream. Last my favourite meat, my favourite source of protein, give me a cow i'll cut its belly open and eat it any time. To build muscle the body requires protein for muscle protein synthesis obviously. Meats such as chicken, beef, turkey, duck, pork etc. have far a higher bio-availability than vegetables. And just for good measure I recently got my blood test results back from the doc, surprisingly all results were found superior to all of his patients. Why? because I hypertrophy resistance train.
    Brawndo has what plants crave. It's got electrolytes.
  • Rocbola
    Options

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    salt
    food chemicals

Or you could just try eating in moderation and only cutting out the things that do not fit in your calorie/macro goals.
    That is an acceptable answer. By wanting to limit the amounts of these items, you are at least admitting to yourself that they are not healthy. The other guy said simply that they were "fine" which i don't agree with.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Processed and pre-packaged foods!
  • bdamaster60
    Options

Also:
    oils
    refined grains
    sugars
    salt
    food chemicals

breads are fine
    dairy is fine
    oils are fine
    Sugars are fine
    meats are fine
    salt is fine

Brawndo has what plants crave. It's got electrolytes.

I'm not a plant, what is your point with this statement?