How do you handle exercising while sick?

Options
Does anyone tackle working out when you're ill?

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Nope. I was sick all last week and didn't work out once. I still lost 3lbs. Your body is sick, give it a rest and take a break. You'll probably feel better faster than if you were to struggle through your workouts.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I sit my *kitten* down on the couch and drink hot tea and watch cartoons.
  • PanaMericann
    PanaMericann Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It depends, but when it comes to things such as the common cold or a sinus infection I tend to get better quicker if I actually do exercise. Of course I don't exercise as hard as I would if I wasn't sick, but I still exercise.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    No, I don't. If I'm sick, I'm sick. I don't mind skipping workout days to let my body heal. Then when I'm ready, I get right back to it once I'm better. :)
  • bobbiebearden
    Options
    I'm in the same boat right now... Took the weekend off for graduation, came down with the sinus infection from hell the first day all the family was gone. It's now been a week since I set foot in the gym. Still not feeling great, but I already bailed on my trainer once, so I am going to force it tomorrow! Good luck and feel better!
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Simple. Don't.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Rest, lots of rest, penty of fluids. Do like Mom said. Mom didn't get to Mom status by being wrong,
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    depends on what it is, if it's a cold/sore throat....then i would. If it's a headache, stomache pain, nausea then no.

Take a break, our body is a temple, it needs to be treated as such. You'll perform better if you do, and you'll recover faster

Good luck!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I am sick at the moment and on antibiotics. I haven't been exercising.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Unless i am throwing up or truly cannot pry myself out of bed, i work out. It may not be at my normal intensity but i never use it as a reason to not work out. Right now i am injured and i still do something everyday except my rest day, Wednesday.. For now its lots of stuff in the pool at my gym and upper body lifting. Not my norm for sure and nowhere near my acceptable intensity level, but... There are no excuses!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Like most replies, I don't is the simple answer, just take it easy until feeling better. you do not need an excuse, a reason is you feel rotten
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Rest, lots of rest, penty of fluids. Do like Mom said. Mom didn't get to Mom status by being wrong,

I'm pretty sure she just had unprotected sex, then decided/couldn't be bothered to abort me.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I won't exercise when sick
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    no difference if im sick or feel like im the hulk. Train insane or remain the same.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure she just had unprotected sex, then decided/couldn't be bothered to abort me.

:laugh: Nice to feel wanted.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I've had a head cold for a couple of days know, and have no intentions of working out until it subsides.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I have been sick 2 times already this week. Food poisoning.....I still worked out. The only way anything is stopping me is death.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I find doing very light weights help, unless I am really ill. Also for me being sick I tend to want comfort food so keeping good healthy food in the house is also a good idea. If you have anything more than a slight fever stay in bed though!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Unless i am throwing up or truly cannot pry myself out of bed, i work out. It may not be at my normal intensity but i never use it as a reason to not work out. Right now i am injured and i still do something everyday except my rest day, Wednesday.. For now its lots of stuff in the pool at my gym and upper body lifting. Not my norm for sure and nowhere near my acceptable intensity level, but... There are no excuses!

*This*

OMG you are my twin.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    With me it depends on how sick I am. I may walk on the treadmill on slow but forget the bouncing off the walls workout or weights. If I'm sick I tend to hurt all over and there is NO way I'm pushing it any harder than my body feels like going. I don't want to get worse! Push fluids and lots of rest. Pain meds and antibiotics as necessary.