Stronglifts Deload?

Options
2»

Replies

• yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Good info. I am going to up my rest between sets - I have only been doing 1 min - and see if that helps. I am in my 4th week and have just stalled on the OHP. The other lifts are progressing as described.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It means reducing weight by 10% and working back up.

Not to be nitpicky, but I would call that resetting.

Deloading is just taking it easy for a little while. Like lifting much lighter for a week, or even not lifting for a week.

If you're hitting walls, go ahead and do the 10% reset on the lifts that are stalled. I would strongly recommend transitioning to a 3x5 (5x5 should be reserved for the most novice novices IMO).

If you're still hitting walls even with 3x5, which will happen, then evaluate where your lifts are in the Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, Elite scale (http://strstd.com - handy calculator) . If you are intermediate or better, it's time to change things up and do some periodization. Look at 5/3/1 or the Texas Method.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

BTW, as a follow up to my original question, I was able to get some input from one of our members, TrainingwithTonya, who has a degree in Sports Physiology and a minor in nutrition and she was able to pinpoint my problem. I was only resting for 45 to 60 seconds between sets and was experiencing extreme anaerobic glycolysis (burning of too much glycogen as my energy source) and not allowing the ATP-CP to recover and provide the energy for the next set. I have upped carbs on workout days and am resting 3 minutes between sets and that has greatly improved the situation! That Tonya is one sharp cookie! You may want to find her blog on this site as the info she has there is very good!

Wow - 45-60 seconds is what the beginner/novice usually needs. Glad to see Tonya helped you out with that. In addition, Mark Rippetoe - who co-wrote/formulated the Starting Strength program, which is similar to StrongLifts - advises people to rest as long as they need in order to lift the weight. If you need 2 minutes, rest 2 minutes. If you need 5 minutes, rest 5 minutes in between sets.

BTW - always count the weight of the bar in your totals. Not only are you lifting the bar, too - but it makes your numbers bigger. :bigsmile:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Not to be nitpicky, but I would call that resetting.

Deloading is just taking it easy for a little while. Like lifting much lighter for a week, or even not lifting for a week.

If you're hitting walls, go ahead and do the 10% reset on the lifts that are stalled. I would strongly recommend transitioning to a 3x5 (5x5 should be reserved for the most novice novices IMO).

If you're still hitting walls even with 3x5, which will happen, then evaluate where your lifts are in the Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, Elite scale (http://strstd.com - handy calculator) . If you are intermediate or better, it's time to change things up and do some periodization. Look at 5/3/1 or the Texas Method.

I would agree with Taso, that's more of a reset then Deload. With a Deload you're gonna go in and take like 40% to 50% of your max and crank out a couple sets and probably just go home and/or extremely limited assistance work which SL5x5 doesn't really have anyway.