build muscle on calorie deficit?

Options
1235»

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    ...We do not gain or lose muscles as an adult, we just tone them up. Muscles are already around our bones, protecting/supporting our column and nerves system. Making muscles stronger is a bit different thing. some endo's own more stronger muscles than ecto's, even they look chubby and short.

OMG, how did I miss that comment? Delete your account. LOL

yeah I was kind of mind=blown on that one.

I think I read it differently. I think the poster meant:

"We do not gain or lose extra muscles as an adult, we just build or reduce the ones we already have.

Making muscles stronger is a bit different thing. some endomorphs have a tendency to build muscle mass easier than ectomorphs; having a tendency to look more bulky. "

Actually - now I've tried to translate it, I'm not sure I agree with it either :smile:

Way to try and spin that one but yeah I don't think it's gonna work. LOL.

What I'm hoping this person meant is that our muscles can experience atrophy or hypertrophy under the right conditions.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    if it were not buried under a higher number of "build muscle" posts.

Yes
    misinterpretation among "building" "toning" and "strength"

Yes again
    Lowering our body fat percentage makes us look more muscular.

We do not gain or lose muscles as an adult, we just tone them up. Muscles are already around our bones, protecting/supporting our column and nerves system. Making muscles stronger is a bit different thing. some endo's own more stronger muscles than ecto's, even they look chubby and short.

That's rich.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ...We do not gain or lose muscles as an adult, we just tone them up. Muscles are already around our bones, protecting/supporting our column and nerves system. Making muscles stronger is a bit different thing. some endo's own more stronger muscles than ecto's, even they look chubby and short.

yeah I was kind of mind=blown on that one.

I think I read it differently. I think the poster meant:

"We do not gain or lose extra muscles as an adult, we just build or reduce the ones we already have.

Making muscles stronger is a bit different thing. some endomorphs have a tendency to build muscle mass easier than ectomorphs; having a tendency to look more bulky. "

Actually - now I've tried to translate it, I'm not sure I agree with it either :smile:

Somatypes are really nothing to do with muscle building capacity.
  • naveed1naveed
    Options
    Completely, totally wrong. It is quite possible to increase the size of muscles (hypertrophy) and/or for them to shrink in size (atrophy). Of course you don't gain or lose "new" muscles - you don't add additional biceps muscles to the ones you have, or sprout some new, unnamed muscle alongside it - but it's certainly possible to make the existing muscles larger. By your logic, bodybuilders were born with huge muscles and have had them their entire life.

I was thinking about a regular person who wants to drop his/her calories and look muscular. but from your quote, it looks like you were thinking of a bodybuilder.I'm interested in this post because of my own 3kg in 2 weeks weight lose plan,
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Completely, totally wrong. It is quite possible to increase the size of muscles (hypertrophy) and/or for them to shrink in size (atrophy). Of course you don't gain or lose "new" muscles - you don't add additional biceps muscles to the ones you have, or sprout some new, unnamed muscle alongside it - but it's certainly possible to make the existing muscles larger. By your logic, bodybuilders were born with huge muscles and have had them their entire life.

I was thinking about a regular person who wants to drop his/her calories and look muscular. but from your quote, it looks like you were thinking of a bodybuilder.I'm interested in this post because of my own 3kg in 2 weeks weight lose plan,

Shhushhh now! Just stop.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out, because I saw it mentioned in this thread, muscle gains and lean body mass gains aren't necessarily the same thing. People love to use them interchangeably, but really, muscle is actually a very small part of lean mass. Lean mass is everything that isn't fat, so if your body stores a pound of glycogen (with the 3 pounds of water needed to store it,) you've just gained 4 pounds of lean mass, but you didn't build any muscle. I think that's where a lot of the confusion comes in when people try to say anyone can build muscle on a deficit, they see lean mass and just assume that it only means muscle.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

I no longer want to live on this earth

Wait a few more hours and you may not have to. Yay Mayans!
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I've read that you need to be at a calorie surplus to gain muscle. If I am following MFP guidelines and eating at a deficit but eating at least 1 gram of protein for each lb of body weight can I still build muscle?

Yes you can. Many people on here will tell you otherwise but they are flat out wrong.

It's called a body recomp and it's not on a cal deficit....you merely eat more on workout days(higher carb intake, lower fat) and less on non workout days(Less carbs, higher fat) but your overall cal intake for the week will be about your maintenance cal.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

It's called a body recomp and it's not on a cal deficit....you merely eat more on workout days(higher carb intake, lower fat) and less on non workout days(Less carbs, higher fat) but your overall cal intake for the week will be about your maintenance cal.

Can be done. It's very slow and tedious and is the long route as opposed to bulking/cutting.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    if it were not buried under a higher number of "build muscle" posts.

Yes
    misinterpretation among "building" "toning" and "strength"

Yes again
    Lowering our body fat percentage makes us look more muscular.

We do not gain or lose muscles as an adult, we just tone them up. Muscles are already around our bones, protecting/supporting our column and nerves system. Making muscles stronger is a bit different thing. some endo's own more stronger muscles than ecto's, even they look chubby and short.

This is some crazy *kitten*
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I have been on a 730+ caloric deficit since I started lifting four months ago. Yes, it is completely possible to build muscle in a deficit, assuming that you have a pretty good amount of fat stores to spare.

I was a total tankass at 245 and all of my lifts were just barely over 100 lbs. In four months, I am down to 210, deadlift is up to 425, squat is up to 395, and bench is up to 225.

The only time the deficit becomes a problem for muscle and strength is when you are already at a relatively low body fat percentage.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have been on a 730+ caloric deficit since I started lifting four months ago. Yes, it is completely possible to build muscle in a deficit, assuming that you have a pretty good amount of fat stores to spare.

I was a total tankass at 245 and all of my lifts were just barely over 100 lbs. In four months, I am down to 210, deadlift is up to 425, squat is up to 395, and bench is up to 225.

The only time the deficit becomes a problem for muscle and strength is when you are already at a relatively low body fat percentage.

Not disagreeing with you that overweight and untrained individuals can make some muscle gains in a deficit, but I just wanted to clarify that strength gains do not necessarily equate to muscle gains.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Not disagreeing with you that overweight and untrained individuals can make some muscle gains in a deficit, but I just wanted to clarify that strength gains do not necessarily equate to muscle gains.
    This. The vast majority of strength gains come from neuromuscular adaptation, not actual new muscle tissue.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I've read that you need to be at a calorie surplus to gain muscle. If I am following MFP guidelines and eating at a deficit but eating at least 1 gram of protein for each lb of body weight can I still build muscle?

if you are newbie or on drugs, yes... otherwise no.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Maaarkk
    Maaarkk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's clear that some people have read too many things on the interweb then regurgitate it actually thinking its correct when they have no real experience on the subject
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    It's clear that some people have read too many things on the interweb then regurgitate it actually thinking its correct when they have no real experience on the subject

Care to clarify?