Fat Girl in Denial & Don't Know Where to Start!

Options
Hello!

I'm MeMe. I'm 22 years old, 5'5 and 188 lbs. I know I need to lose weight but I have ZERO clue what to do, what to eat, how often or how long to work out. Admittedly, I'm lazy, I eat tons of fast food and at the most I work out twice a week for 30 minutes at Curves.

I need help!

Replies

• MarisolW7
    Options
    Hello there! When ordering fast food, look at their healthier choices. I am always on the run and have been able to lose 22 lbs since September by just ordering healthier food and working out at least 30 mins a day. After you start seeing results your motivation kicks in full swing. :) At least it did for me. I work out at least 1 hour a day now and I love it!
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You're in the right place to start. Try to cut out things like fast food and soda, even if it's baby steps. Also, this thread was pretty helpful for me. Check it out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Feel free to add me if you like as well. :)
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    the easiest thing to do is to cook more at home. by doing that you control the amounts of salts and sugars and whatever else you are eating
  • minibee12
    Options
    Thanks for the tips so far you guys! This is so helpful.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You're in the right place to start. Try to cut out things like fast food and soda, even if it's baby steps. Also, this thread was pretty helpful for me. Check it out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Feel free to add me if you like as well. :)

Ditto!

And join those groups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Hey MeMe,

Jumping right in will be hard, just take it one step at a time. Food Habits are always the hardest to change because you are already so used to what you eat now, to make that first change you need to find healthy alternatives to what you already love so you can keep those in your plans, the easier the change the faster the change.

Exercise can start off slow, creating a small easy routine to build on weekly will do you a lot of good. You can google some sites that can help you find exercises that target areas but you will want to have a balanced body exercise plan so you will want to target a few area's each time you exercise rather than focus on one and these routines can be equipment free or with portable equipment so it can be done outside the gym too. That way you cannot give yourself an excuse like I always used to.

If you need any advice, that I can hopefully give, then feel free to msg me anytime!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food too. It has helped a lot to have this site to track calories. Even healthy options of restaurant or fast food a lot of times have way more calories than you'd think they would.
    Track your calories for a few days, and find out how much you're actually eating and then go from there.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate things. Start out getting your calorie intake down to where it should be. Don't worry about working out if you don't want to do... start first with the basics - calories in. Once you have that down, then move on to the rest.
  • banger711
    banger711 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Mini, yes as the other post had said, start with baby steps, better food, smaller rationings. You can start slow, just do a little less every day. Movement and exercise is the key. Try to do more every day, you'll begin to see results. It's healthier to lose weight slower and steady to keep it off. Good luck.
  • minibee12
    Options
    Thank you all! What are some good sites to look for exercises?
  • amann1976
    Options
    Thanks for the tips so far you guys! This is so helpful.

tips are good and all but you will only find success when you take a little advice from here and a little advice from there put it together for what works for you and carry out the plan towards your goals. the hardest part is getting started.

on another note i like my women in your weight class but that is just my preference
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Fast Food: Get the grilled chicken option. Never upsize, get the smallest size possible.
    Don't bother with fast food salads, the dressings they use have just as many calories as the fries.
    Make friends with Subway, and if you're lucky enough to have one, the Pita Pit.
    Switch to Diet Soda or Water.
    If you like energy drinks, monster and rockstar both have a low cal option. Rehab and Recovery. These are different from the 0 cal and 0 carb, and they have a better flavor.

Squeeze in a few more trips to curves if time allows. I've never been inside one, but if they have weights, use them.

Park at the back of the parking lot for day time shopping trips instead of as close as you can. This is also better for your car, less cart and car door opening onto your car damage.

If you love TV, squats, situps, pushups, or jumping jacks, or planks or whatevs during commercial breaks. When the commercial changes, change exercise. they're all between 30-60 seconds, so it's a good timer.

If you talk on the phone a lot, walk while you talk.
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Use this site! Log every morsel that enters your mouth. Know what goes in. Acknowledge it.
    That's the first step.
    For me, that was enough to open my eyes. I realized that I was eating thousands of calories more than I should and I just started by eating LESS of the same foods I usually ate. Then eventually I wanted to eat better... but that honestly came later.
    The resources are out there if and when you want to change things up, but just realizing what you're doing now is a huge start. Good luck! If you have a smartphone, you can use the app and scan food barcodes. It's really easy and kind of fun.

You'll find loads of opinions around here about what to eat. I think most people agree veggies are good for you so I give you this:
    http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/nutrition/pdf/CDC_5-A-Day.pdf
  • amann1976
    Options
    if you live in one of those cities where they post the calorie counts for the menu items it will change your whole outlook on what you are eating
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate things. Start out getting your calorie intake down to where it should be. Don't worry about working out if you don't want to do... start first with the basics - calories in. Once you have that down, then move on to the rest.

^ABSOLUTELY
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i would eat fast food 3 or 4 times a week in conjunction with going to the gym. the gym allowed me to eat the fast food without gaining but there was no way i was going to lose. i ate so much fast food that the people at BK and Wendys would have my honey mustard ready for the bag without me having to ask.

i phased it out over a period of about 3 weeks and have been fast food free for about 4 or 5 months now. i wont lie and say it was as easy as that but it is something you will have to work towards.

if you dont exercise regularly i would say try walking once or twice a week to start then increase both time and pace as you see fit.

its tough to listen to advice from others as not everything works for one will work for another so find what works for you. it may take some time to mix and match different combos but it will benefit you.

as far as what to eat, i maybe spend 10 bucks a week on lunch by cooking pasta and chicken and then portioning it off on sunday night so i can take it to work through out the week. i still eat subway (fast food) but its not nearly as bad as the #'s at wendys or BK

best of luck
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! What are some good sites to look for exercises?

Wow. There's quite a few, actually.

I like to point people in this direction: www.bodybuilding.com

They have a whole slew of exercise programs, with videos of how to do all the exercises. In addition, you can look at making your own program, looking at all the exercises. If you don't have money for or access to a gym and/or equipment, they have a bunch of bodyweight exercises you can do that don't cost anything. They also have some that use resistance bands, which are better than nothing and aren't that expensive.

Of course, if you can afford it - a gym membership and at least one time with one of the trainers there is, IMO, the best.
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Everyone can feel free to add me! I love being a motivator/getting motivation
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I had a few regrets so these are my timbits of advice:

mfp well guestimate how much you'll need to eat. Don't assume it's dead on accurate, it is not at all. It's not the number that you have to eat to lose weight, you can eat much more then that and still lose weight. It recommended 1200 calories to me and I lost at 1700+exercise cals. If your over weight, the higher your metabolism is, believe it or not. And don't dramatically try to cut calories to begin with if you're likely to fail with a unsustainable amount of food. Don't drastically cut calories if you don't need to. It's harder to stick to and impossible to get in all your proper nutrition while getting enough fat in you to absorb the nutrients. There's no need to feel starved through this.

Eat protein, the mfp recommendations are very low.

Exercise. Regularly. That's something I didn't do until I got to my goal and still felt squishy. You are likely to look a ton better at a heavier weight if you exercise and strength train. The weight you will have on will be muscle and energy...as oppose to squishyness. No need to go by the bmi when you're to fit to qualify for it (BMI's only recommended for sedentary individuals).

Also, exercising to an excessive level, while it pushes your body and endurance levels, doesn't really help weight loss. In fact you're likely to retain water since you will need a lot of energy to repair your muscles and on a calorie deficit that can be rough. No need to exercise for 2 hours of huffy sweat pooring every day. Though I do recommend moving regularly, and occasional several times a week sweat pouring. Though the reality is you don't need exercise to lose weight, you'll just look a heck of a lot better and you'll look better quicker if you do.

Also I know some people who look absolutely incredible at 150 with abs included, and you're not very far away if you go about it the right way.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm MeMe. I'm 22 years old, 5'5 and 188 lbs. I know I need to lose weight but I have ZERO clue what to do, what to eat, how often or how long to work out. Admittedly, I'm lazy, I eat tons of fast food and at the most I work out twice a week for 30 minutes at Curves.

I need help!

First of all, get out of the Nile... it's full of crocodiles! What's wrong with you?!

Second,

1) Determine your BMR/TDEE (or whatever you want to call it) so that you know what amount of calories (on average) you should be eating to lose weight at a healthy pace. If you use the MFP tools, they'll compute this for you.
    2) Log everything. Don't eat it if you can't log it. Take a multivitamin everyday with food.
    3) Don't drink your calories. Try to get to a point where all you drink is water.
    4) Walk or jog or run... alot! Then start strength training when you're up to it.

Forget the scale. Don't obsess about daily changes in weight. - they don't mean anything. What you should be focusing on are long term changes to your lifestyle. The weight will come off. You can do it. The math works and it doesn't lie. It just takes time.

This is not a diet and you don't have to deny yourself anything you crave, you just have to eat in moderation and be accountable for what you put in your mouth. For example, if you go over on Monday by 300 calories, then go under on Tuesday and Wednesday by 150 calories each day. Be honest with your log. Be accurate. Be accountable. You can lose the weight and it will happen faster than you realize when you make this a lifestyle change.