boss thinks i am doing drugs

13»

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Too big of a calorie deficit and huge drop in weight isn't a healthy lifestyle change...it's a crash diet. Plus you're losing muscle along with fat and putting a lot of stress on your body! Pick a sensible calorie goal and raise your calories before you hit the mother of all plateaus!
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Show your boss the app. Explain what it does and what you have been doing.

Example:
    Hey, can I talk to you for a second? Yesterday, you mentioned being concerned about my weight loss. I can understand your concern....I've been blown away myself. I found this amazing app that really put things into perspective for me. I can track what I eat. When I started...I was eating around 6000 cals a day. I have lowered my intake to human consumption levels instead of a rhinoceros. I do think I am losing a little too fast...so I'm working on fixing that. It's a daily battle, but I'm doing ok. Thank you for your concern, that means a lot.

This! ^^^^^
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Congrats on your weight loss! However, try eating more because 1200 is really low for someone who's 6'3''. I imagine seeing 90 pounds come off you that fast would be shocking. Just keep telling him you're eating right, but make sure you do eat right, which means not eating so low.
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Tell him if he thinks you are on drugs to drug test you. You will pass and there will be no problems. Or you can show him your MFP and prove to him what you have been doing. Good luck.
  • omg... Congratulations on your success. That is amazing! I lost around 40 lbs and my boss flat out told me she thought I had either developed anorexia or was using cocaine. I couldn't believe it. We had it out and since then she really hasn't said anything about my weight at all. I basically told her tha nobody said anything to me when I was killing myself shoving quarter pounders (or whatever) down my face so I didn't want her opinion now that I was trying to lose weight and do it right. the problem with what she said was that I still needed to lose almost 80 more lbs. I have just now lost 60 lbs and I am finally half way to my goal.

I wouldn't recommend doing what I did and having it out with my boss...big source of tension for us, but I wouldn't definitely let him know that if can't helpfully support you and encourage you, to not say anything at all.

Good luck to you! You are not alone!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    It has been my experience that no one who is not dieting and exercising ever believes that diet and exercise will cause weight loss...they are still waiting for a magic pill or magic machine to make it all happen without any planning or effort. Since he's your boss and you don't want to alienate him (probably) just write down the website for him and encourage him to check it out.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Well done and keep working hard.

You can start to add more calories as you learn to adapt to the foods you can eat.

What works for me is eating things that I still enjoy bit in smaller portions.

Don`t forget to ask some of the guys on here for advice with exercise (and not be sexist the ladies too)

You are doing so well and I suppose it is natural for those around you who see you all the time to be a little concerned...sometimes it just shows that people care.

I wish you well in your new body
  • R0asted
    R0asted Posts: 83 Member
    At 6'3" I would recommend slowly working your way back up to around 2000-2500 calories per day - the 1200 calories a day will work for a while but it ultimately isn't sustainable, and the best way to not just lose weight, but to keep it off, is to eat in a manner that can be sustained for life. I'm not sure of your general activity level - I'm sure you have some activity at work - but if you don't have any medical things holding you back and aren't already working out, it would be a good idea to work in a strength and cardio regimen. Just don't do that with as big a caloric deficit as you have currently!

That said though, I give you hella props for having the mental toughness and the mindset to stick to what you have been doing. Even if it isn't perhaps the optimal route, diet is the hardest, but also most important, part of the equation.

I'll +1 this also.

Loosing fast is great BUT you risk crashing your metabolism and when this happens you will either a) Hit a wall with your weight loss and have to lower your calories further to keep loosing b) REBOUND badly when you reach your goal and start eating more since now all of a sudden, you have deteriorated your metabolism to that of a 90 year old woman. How are you gonna feel when you gain 30 lbs back right away when you stop dieting and have to struggle just to maintain that weight after that? It's not worth it in the long run.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    i am surprised because he has joked about a random drug test but i could tell he was not joking

Ask him nicely to stop and if he feels a drug test is needed then you'd be more than happy to comply with his wishes. Otherwise, tell him your fine and that if a drug test isn't going to be done, that he needs to back off. And I agree, 90 lbs is a lot for 4 months, and 1200 is not healthy for you. Eventually, you will stall out anyways, so you may as well eat at or above your BMR and continually lose weight that way.
  • Desdemina
    Desdemina Posts: 150 Member
    People want to hear an easy answer because it makes them feel better about their inability to make changes in their own life. I bet he'd get off your case if you told him that you've been doing P90x. Or you've started detoxing. It will make more sense to him than "I'm counting calories and exercising."

Is your boss overweight? He might want to know what you're taking so he can take it, too!

I know that when you're really heavy, it comes off faster, and men often lose faster than women, but you are losing REALLY fast! Might want to just touch base with a doctor to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need at such a low calorie level. I did a really low cal diet once and it did work -- until I went off it and gained it all back! -- but it was doctor supervised. People worried about me, too, but when I told them it was doctor supervised, they didn't worry any more.
  • just tell him you're starving yourself.

1200 calories is what women a foot smaller than you and 10 years older eat.

you're losing that much weight so fast because of how low your calories are

yup ^^ what they said. I'm 5'4, 24 yrs old, and 1200 is not enough for me! Eating that little caused me to plateau :( Now I eat at least 1400-1600
  • I am 5'3 and this site has me at 1200. I think you should definitely be consuming more calories.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    well i looked over the starvation study their meals consisted of foods that were available towards the end of ww2 in Europe
    the biggest thing that i found in that study was the lack of variety of foods they ate for 6 months if all i had to eat was
    potatoes, turnips, rutabagas, dark bread, macaroni, small glasses of milk, chicken, toast with a small smear of jam,i would go crazy also
    but having a variety of foods to chose from every day and being able to get different vitamins from different vegetables starches and proteins also taking vitamins makes all the difference in the world
    what affected their sanity and sex drive was the lack of vitamins and proteins

That's not what drove them crazy! You're completely missing the point.
  • Tell him your stomach shrank and now it's like you had surgery because if you eat a lot you will get nautious. He's probably jealous.