Over ripe bananas....

Options
xMissy6x
xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
Well I have some over ripe bananas and I'm not use how to use them. I was thinking of making banana bread but can't find a healthy recipe. Does any one have any ideas on a healthy way to use them?

Replies

• LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    use them in place of eggs and oil in pancakes. use plain seltzer instead of water to make them super fluffy.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hunk them up, stick them in the freezer and give them 24 hours/until they're frozen.

Once frozen, pop in a blender and blend (add a tiny splash of milk if you struggle to get them started)! Voila, banana ice cream- has to be my favourite way of using up over ripe bananas. It comes out blended at soft serve consistency, if you like it slightly less 'melted' so to speak then pop it back in the freezer for a wie bit.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I mush them up and mix with oats (the amount changes depending on the banana size) and make cookies. Sometimes I add some maple syrup, honey, cinnamon or PB.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Banana bread is healthy, what you gonna do, eat the whole loaf in one sitting?! Gah!
  • KBPOWER
    Options
    i peel them and put them in a freeze bag and keep them in freezer

Then you can add them to a smoothie
    You can make banana ice cream - blend bananas, add some raw nuts, shredded coconut, dark chocolate

You could make a healthy banana bread (very, very yummy)

2 cups almond flour
    3 bananas
    3 eggs ( cage free organic)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tbsp raw honey
    1/4 cup coconut oil
    1 tsp baking soda

stick all in blender, pour in greased Scoop batter into a greased 7.5" x 3.5" Loaf Pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65
  • JKS76
    JKS76 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Banana bread is healthy, what you gonna do, eat the whole loaf in one sitting?! Gah!
    Erm..... of course not!.... (wipes crumbs from shirt and pretends the heat of the oven was from the radiator)

:wink:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Hunk them up, stick them in the freezer and give them 24 hours/until they're frozen.

Once frozen, pop in a blender and blend (add a tiny splash of milk if you struggle to get them started)! Voila, banana ice cream- has to be my favourite way of using up over ripe bananas. It comes out blended at soft serve consistency, if you like it slightly less 'melted' so to speak then pop it back in the freezer for a wie bit.

This!

One of my best ever MFP discoveries. Tastes just like soft whipped icecream. I always have frozen banana slices in my freezer now and if guests drop in unexpectedly it's an instant dessert. No one ever believes it has nothing in but bananas. I've even been know to have this for breakfast :)

(One little bit of advice... I use a food processor as I find the banana tends to get stuck under the blade if I try to do it in a blender).
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Some awesome ideas! I think I'm gonna leave bananas go ripe more often haha. Thanks so much everyone! Great recipes. I have enought to make the banana bread recipe and freeze some to :)
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I keep them in the freezer and use them in my protein shakes.
    Banana
    Peanut butter
    Vanilla protein powder
    Plain Greek yogurt
    1 cup of water
    Ice

Awesome for before or after workout.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Bump...some great ideas...
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Peel, mash, freeze then thaw a lil bit and add pumpkin pie spice. Yum!

Or add a scoop of protein powder and mix well then bake in the form of pancake or cookie.
  • luvsclassics
    luvsclassics Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great Idea. This past summer, "Down the Shore",on the boardwalk in Ocean City, New Jersey, we went to a place that was called "Banana Whip". That's mostly all that they sold. With a humongous Food Processor/ Blender gadget, they would put Frozen bananas and add other foods for flavor of your choice. For example a little peanut butter. My husband bought one and it tasted really good!!! I didn't get one because I was full from breakfast.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/from-the-editors/banana-bread-recipes-staff-favorites-00400000041611/page3.html

Amazing coconut & lime glazed banana bread from cookinglight.com. I make this for all the holidays and it gets goggled up immediately.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I've got 4 ripe bananas just waiting to be turned in to cookies. I'm going to try peanut butter, cinnamon and cocoa powder this time.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    I like to add some frozen berries into the banana ice cream mix. Adds a tart edge, and makes the colour more attractive.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you have a dehydrator , Chop them up and make Banana Chips :wink:
  • limonysal
    Options
    I freeze bananas all the time- the other replies are spot on! Another delicious way to serve up some ripe bananas is to bake them! You can peel them and put them in a brownie pan, or you can bake them in their skins. Sprinkle with some brown sugar, or honey (or sweetener of choice), a squeeze of lime, and a dollop of anything creamy and cool (yogurt, cream, what have you) and its a fantastic dessert. I've even been known to add a little rum. You can add the toppings before or after you bake them, depending on your taste. They're also good with chocolate, blueberries.. just about everything. I'll eat them plain!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

This^^^ AND if you're lucky enough to have a horizontal juicer, you can run the frozen bananas through with the blank plate on and you'll get a nice consistency banana ice cream.... and yes, a few berries are a nice touch too. This is one of my favorite treats in the summer!
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I could probably do something like that. haha xD