QUESTION about womens' jeans sizing

Options
13»

Replies

• TwistedFun
    Options
    measure the waist bands of each of your jeans, you will find that they are very similar in circumference
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It is called vanity sizing. The more expensive the Jean, the smaller the number, so your size 6 is a size 2 in that brand... people feel better about being a smaller size and buy more clothes.

THIS. It's how they get you to pay so much for a pair of jeans.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I wear men's jeans. They fit me fine.
    In the store I head to the men's clothing section, pick out what I need, and take it to the women's fitting rooms. No one says boo.
    If I ever had to go shopping for women's pants I'd take a tape measure with me. Between the brand differences and the vanity sizing, I wouldn't have a clue of where to start.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Not only do sizes vary between brands, they can vary in the same production run. Fabric is cut in multiple layers at the factory. Have you ever tried to cut 4-6 sheets of paper at the same time? Then you know the paper shifts while you are cutting. That same thing happens in the factory. The first layer is the correct size ; the blade slides a bit with each layer. Not much, but enough. A quarter inch on each seam gives you an extra inch overall. That's why you can grab 3 pair of size 12s of same style/brand and they all can fit differently.

The joys of mass production.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Ah vanity sizing. I hate it! It means I have to try on a million pairs of jeans before I find one that fits correctly. It makes clothes shopping a nightmare. I have good luck at abercrombie and fitch. I generally don't much like their clothes, but the jeans are some of the only ones that don't gap in the waist and fit my booty.

Maybe the size 6 jeans were just bigger on you than you realized. If you fit in a size 2, I would celebrate =)
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Well that's a good day!
  • CINNAMON77_00
    CINNAMON77_00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think size fluctuates with the designers... if in THEIR heads they are a size 8...on a fat day their 8s will fit a 10 ...on their skinny days, they will fit a 6. (at least that is what I tell myself!) :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!