Dark Chocolate...

Options

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know any brands beside Lindt that have a higher than 72% cocoa content? I've never seen any and was just curious!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    66c5ub.jpg

Someone needs to try this and report back :happy:

I've tried it. I actually liked it. It was interesting. I like all different levels of dark chocolate. But, usually I eat the 88% endangered species brand.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Does anyone know any brands beside Lindt that have a higher than 72% cocoa content? I've never seen any and was just curious!

There are sooo many brands that do.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I like the 90%, though would agree it doesn't have that 'melt in your mouth' quality that other chocolates have. The comparison to black coffee is an apt one.

One thing you could try is melting it, mixing it with coconut oil and nut butter and popping it in the freezer for 20 minutes to make a creamy bark.

I keep chocolate in the freezer anyway, which is psychological more that anything else - if I have to go into the freezer for it, it feels like more of a treat (If I kept it in the tea and coffee cupboard I'd nibble on it all day.) And it's a bit harder to eat, therefore slower.

I also like to have one or two squares with a teaspoon of peanut butter on each. I find it ridiculously easy to overeat chocolate, but difficult to overeat peanut butter.

ETA: I haven't tried the 99% one, but my friend did the other day and she said it was very dry and crumbly.
    I also keep my chocolate frozen. I like it better that way. Not sure why...
    ditto on this one... frozen is awesome, I break off a square and I'm set for quite awhile. I place it on my tongue and let it slowly melt.

seansquared- I'm smiling on your comment on the 99% lunacy comment...

I think I'm set at 85% most... though I'd be willing to try 90% but not willing to pay for a bar and have it too harsh.

Someone mentioned PB... that could make some of the darker less harsh for those of you that bought them and didn't care for it plain.

Raw ... I've yet to try it but heard nothing but good... looking forward to it. I LOVE raw cacao beans - they remind me of a coffee/choc combo... with a lil crunch.

Enjoying this thread, great to see so much variety and learn about new bars. I steer clear of milk choc if I can because I can't seem to eat only one square a time... more like a bag:blushing:

So a dark chocolate square for me on occasion is a nice indulgence:love:

Yea, I also love the chili pepper ones too, a spicy bite to the choc is a nice touch!
    That is one of the original combos, chili peppers and chocolate. It blew me away when I first tried it. I was with my best friend (she was my girlfriend at the time). We were on the Oregon coast, and went to the Tillamook Cheese Factory. They had a huge selection of the Degoba bars there, and we bought 3 or 4 varieties (including the lavender flowers, which was awesome!). I still love Degoba, and may start buying them online in bulk if my financial situation gets where I want it to be!
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Lots. A cheaper option is Aldi's own brand 85% bar.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'll eat straight bakers chocolate and unsweetened cocoa. I've been training for a long time. I'm actually not the biggest fan on lindt. It tastes a bit flat to me, too smooth, and sometimes more tart than bitter.
  • BBehnke84
    BBehnke84 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'll eat straight bakers chocolate and unsweetened cocoa. I've been training for a long time.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Love it
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Lindt - a touch of sea salt with caramel bits.

To die for. One square.
  • barbiek999
    barbiek999 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

To die for. One square.

What is the cocoa % on this one? Sounds awesome!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    The Lindt chili chocolate is my favorite!
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thinking this could be a good link for this thread. This is a serious community of chocolate lovers: http://www.seventypercent.com/ I hope to migrate to the cocoa nibs without the sugar - just the pure chocolate.

Also, if you want a brand other than Lindt, give Whole Foods a try. They have a huge variety of 70% and higher bars.
  • Chris0h9
    Chris0h9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The chocolate I used to eat at first was 40%. One day I went straight to the 90% dark. The first time you taste it, it's pretty crazy. The thing is really powerful and bitter, but after some time, I managed to like it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

To die for. One square.

What is the cocoa % on this one? Sounds awesome!

Only about 47%. It is excellent. I can only get the salt without caramel in Germany so when I go to France I buy about 10 bars.
    Lasts more than a month.

http://www.lindt.co.uk/noswf/eng/products/whats-new/excellence-dark-caramel-and-sea-salt/
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Thinking this could be a good link for this thread. This is a serious community of chocolate lovers: http://www.seventypercent.com/ I hope to migrate to the cocoa nibs without the sugar - just the pure chocolate.

Also, if you want a brand other than Lindt, give Whole Foods a try. They have a huge variety of 70% and higher bars.

Whole foods and cost plus world market both have a nice chocolate selection. I found my new favorite bar at whole foods... of course, it's an $8 bar... Vosgos marzipan. The marzipan isn't a traditional marzipan. It's half way between a paste and syrup, and it's tinged with amaretto. The bar is thin. It's the only Vosgos bar I like, I think the others are a little overpriced for what they are... decent but pretty sweet chocolate bars with semi interesting flavor combinations. They just end up being more timid than the look when you taste them.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I love Lindt 90%, i don't care for sweet anyways , it just has a touch, don't find it waxy though
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    66c5ub.jpg

I've tried it. I actually liked it. It was interesting. I like all different levels of dark chocolate. But, usually I eat the 88% endangered species brand.

I should mention that this chocolate is made thinner and in smaller squares. It tastes better like that when it is strong like this.

This is the endangered species brand that I like: http://chocolatebar.com/

I try to always purchase chocolate that is grown under the natural canopy of the rain forest and not chocolate companies that clear out the trees to build their own shade. I purchase Fair Trade and not chocolate companies that use children as slaves.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the Lindt 85% and the dark with Chili or sea salt (though I only know they are dark)

My wife likes the 70% so if I buy the 85% it's safe..

Did you know that Dark Chocolate is loaded with flavonoids which will help lower your LDL Cholesterol. So it's good for your heart :)
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the Lindt 85% and the dark with Chili or sea salt (though I only know they are dark)

My wife likes the 70% so if I buy the 85% it's safe..

Did you know that Dark Chocolate is loaded with flavonoids which will help lower your LDL Cholesterol. So it's good for your heart :)
    The main reason it is a part of my diet!!! Superfood candy!!! c :
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    66c5ub.jpg

I should mention that this chocolate is made thinner and in smaller squares. It tastes better like that when it is strong like this.

This is the endangered species brand that I like: http://chocolatebar.com/

I try to always purchase chocolate that is grown under the natural canopy of the rain forest and not chocolate companies that clear out the trees to build their own shade. I purchase Fair Trade and not chocolate companies that use children as slaves.

extremely bitter, recommended you let it melt in your mouth versus chewing... extreme bitter chocolate , i still like it though, many people don't
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Most definitely agree on purchasing fair trade over anything else!