new year GYM newbies argg get ready

Options

Replies

• AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    wow what a crazy thing to get annoyed with. I would think anybody trying to reach goals or what not deserves some kind of respect, even if they don't stick with it, you can't know just because they waltz into the gym on Jan 2, that they aren't going to stay there for good, your judging people before even giving them a chance (or even seeing them!)

I'd say just stick to what your there for and not worry about who is gonna stay or not.

im not judging im just saying u do get people who join gym cos the made a new year resolotion then only go to gym and talk and talk or text on the machine wasting time im not judging
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Bet this guy is wishing he hadn't made this post.

Best time of year for gyms hence why they have offers on. Out of every ten that sign up, only about 2 will stick it out, but they still benefit from 10, year long contracts, besides good to get new blood in

im glad people are joining i regret making this post i made with good fun and not to offend anyone i know there are people who go and workout its the ones that waste 20-30 minutes on the machines
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    The OP's got a point here though. For the person who's been with that gym a long time, it is frustrating to have to compromise because everyone decides to start "changing their life" at the same time. It then doesn't help when, as we've seen time and time again, those people rarely come back after the first month. The people who come and make a legitimate change and stick with it, I respect those people. The rest of the resolutioners can go sit on the couch, cause we all know that's where they'll be in a month

exact
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Just a suggestion, if you see a newbie wandering around the gym without a clue, maybe offer to help them. It just might make the both of you feel better.

I do help there was one guy doing squats wrong i taught him how to do it i do help but sometimes i do help and then next time i see them do the same thing so it is good but sometimes theres no point
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Here's a point: : how do you know they don't come back? Maybe they changed their workout time or their gym. My husband and were early morning gym goers but changed to mid afternoon and sometimes evenings. Just because the early morning crew don't see us there doesn't mean we're not going.

Edited because I am not quite sure how pony got corrected to pony top!

im not judging why are people so mad
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    maybe some of them don't return because of *kitten* like you judging them, not knowing their situation, and not making them feel welcome. yeah, it can be annoying when you have to deal with the extra people, but that's life. suck it up for a month or two, and then you can go back to how it was before. at least they initiate trying to make a change, and if it doesn't work then it doesn't work. a lot of gyms offer free trials for a month and similar things during this time of the year, so it is a good time to start going to see what it is all about.

wow relax why so mad
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I hope i dont offend anyone.

this is the time after new years where the newbies will come out of their homes and terrorise the GYM with their stupidy not all of course. you will see them lurking on the cable machines and on their phones beware I cant stand this. it will last 1-2 months or more then it will go back to normal dont be alarmed.

I just thought id have a little Rant. the time is comming

Wow...Yeah, I'm offended. One of my goals for the next year was to join a gym. I have some social anxiety issues and am self-conscious..let me tell you - knowing there might be people like you there "really" makes me want to go now.... -.-
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I was not trying to be offensive to the new gym users it was meant to be a joke post about how u see new gym people i know some people genuianly join and do stick with it why are people taking this so serious it was a joke
    Trying to back peddle on the topic are we, guess people don't find it so funny. It's people like you that is the reason I work out at home.

Edited for spelling mistake
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Did you ever think that maybe the people are nervous and trying to get the nerve to workout in front of people? Or maybe they don't know how to use a machine and are feeling self-conscious/stupid and don't know who to ask or are afraid of being judged?

Someone did a thread like this a few days ago and one of the best answers that were given was that maybe instead of being an "elitist" and judging these people - maybe offer to help them figure some stuff out.
  • fearless_
    Options
    you're being a jerk.
  • lp91413
    lp91413 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I hope i dont offend anyone.

this is the time after new years where the newbies will come out of their homes and terrorise the GYM with their stupidy not all of course. you will see them lurking on the cable machines and on their phones beware I cant stand this. it will last 1-2 months or more then it will go back to normal dont be alarmed.

I just thought id have a little Rant. the time is comming

You used to be one of them....

AMEN!! everyone has to start somewhere, how many false starts did you have? this is not my first time on here, but i am renewed to making changes.....no reason to judge
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Someone did a thread like this a few days ago and one of the best answers that were given was that maybe instead of being an "elitist" and judging these people - maybe offer to help them figure some stuff out.

This.

I drifted away from the gym for a while and when I finally joined a very new, very nice gym, the resident gym rats were less than welcoming of this chubby newcomer.

I always smile at, encourage or help out those that seem to be struggling....
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Everybody's gotta start sometime. Maybe they'll see you killing it at the gym and be motivated, even though the original plan may have just been to lurk on the cable machines or bike and text. Give them a chance.

When I first started at the gym a few years ago, I looked like one of those girls just lazing away on the bike for 5 minutes, or spending 3 minutes on the elliptical then calling it a day. You know what though? A few weeks before that, I was entirely paralyzed from a stroke. I literally could not move my arms or legs. Those 3 or 5 minutes were as hard then as squatting 135 is for me now. Probably harder, actually.

Let's not judge those when we don't know their story.

Awesome.

OP:
    Maybe instead of being an intimidating d!ckhead, smile and say hello to one of those folks then show them around. You might just change someone's life.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    IMO, I don't see any problem. Actually I enjoy seeing new people in the gym. Some people find the drive and change their lives, others, well.. maybe next year. I say good for them, at least they are trying, right?

And I prefer the home workoutsas well, or the great outdoors.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

This.

I drifted away from the gym for a while and when I finally joined a very new, very nice gym, the resident gym rats were less than welcoming of this chubby newcomer.

I always smile at, encourage or help out those that seem to be struggling....

Just because it should be repeated.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    <
    silly New Years Resolutioner - 12 months, 62 pounds and a 5K later :flowerforyou: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: :smokin:
  • teneh
    teneh Posts: 39
    Options
    I be one of those noobs...sorry that I offend you so much in my desire to get fit. Sorry that I didn't time it better...had no choice really, I got the bad news from the doc in late October and that's where I am...sorry I can't just wait until some other time that would be more convenient for your dumb *kitten*. I shouldn't be too much in your way though...I'll be there at 5:30AM.

^^
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Everybody's gotta start sometime. Maybe they'll see you killing it at the gym and be motivated, even though the original plan may have just been to lurk on the cable machines or bike and text. Give them a chance.

When I first started at the gym a few years ago, I looked like one of those girls just lazing away on the bike for 5 minutes, or spending 3 minutes on the elliptical then calling it a day. You know what though? A few weeks before that, I was entirely paralyzed from a stroke. I literally could not move my arms or legs. Those 3 or 5 minutes were as hard then as squatting 135 is for me now. Probably harder, actually.

Let's not judge those when we don't know their story.

Awesome.

OP:
    Maybe instead of being an intimidating d!ckhead, smile and say hello to one of those folks then show them around. You might just change someone's life.

I totally agree ^^^^
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Bear hug them sons of *****es! seriously, how awesome would it have felt for the rest of us who got the courage to go to the gym, how awesome would it have been for someone to flash us a smile, tell us nice job or give us a nod, a way to go in a sense.. Don't complain, don't b!tch, love them! You were them at one point, and just like here on MFP as we all motivate each other, do it in real life too, motivate them IRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    This post again? Big fail for not paying attention.
This discussion has been closed.