How was your 2012?

Options
As you set your sights on new goals for 2013, take a moment and reflect back on 2012. What were your goals for 2012? Did you achieve them? Why or why not? How will you ensure that you make your goals for 2013?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Searching back through these message boards, my stated goals were
    - learn to squat with proper form
    - make huge gains across all the big lifts
    - squat 2x body weight

done, done, and done!

How did I get there? First and foremost, I stated my goals and wrote them down. I followed tried and true training programs (Starting Strength first, Wendler's 5/3/1 after that). Other than some travel and vacation time here and there, I did not miss a single training day. I kept a log of every single lifting day, and took deload weeks or reset the training maxes as appropriate.

Looking forward to 2013, I want to continue training in the same manner, making continual improvements in all my lifts. I would like to deadlift 500 lbs or more. I would like to squat 350 or more. I will get there.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I didn't really set goals for 2012. I just kind of accidentally without contemplating it: quit smoking, started running. :embarassed:

My goal for 2013 is to try my hand at running the Dublin Marathon on October 28th.
  • taso42
    Options
    I didn't really set goals for 2012. I just kind of accidentally without contemplating it: quit smoking, started running. :embarassed:

My goal for 2013 is to try my hand at running the Dublin Marathon on October 28th.

I remember when you quit smoking. It's been amazing to watch your success!

The sky is the limit my friend!
  • Bunnehface
    Bunnehface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I set my goal in March (at 258) to reach my goal weight of 174 by my wedding in October 2013.
    9 months on, I'm currently 202 (2/3rds of the way there) with 10 months left. Feeling good! The number on the scale is getting less important to me as I'm getting healthier, slimmer and stronger. I walked a 5k for charity.
    I was a UK size 22, (US size 20) and am currently a 16 (US 14). I've lost a tonne of inches off my body and haven't been in this clothes size since my teens!
    My goals for 2013 are to get to a comfortable size 14 (US 12), firm up my wobbly bits (lol!) and either run a 5k or walk a 10k for charity.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    To be honest, 2012 has been a bit of a struggle. I think 2013 will be better. I am taking steps to make it that way.

Taso and Thomas, you have both met with great success this past year, and I am proud of you both and glad to call you my friends.
  • lissavlog
    Options
    my goal for 2012 was to weigh less than i did when i started the year - mission accomplished :)

for 2013, i will hit my goal weight!!!
  • biscuitwelsh
    biscuitwelsh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Lost nearly 25% of my body weight, saw my resting heartrate drop from106 to 60, cholesterol well within guidelines, completely changed the way I eat and noticed my depression has markedly improved.

Also, successfully negotiated my way out of a tricky job situation with no hard feelings on anyone's part and provided for the care of my two elderly parents as they reach the end of their lives journey together.

All in all, I think 2013 goals will start "And for my next trick..."
  • Honestly, my 2012 has surpassed all my expectations. I don't even feel like the same person I was a year ago...and I like it. Now, 2013 will be my year to get leaner and stronger than I ever thought possible. I have no excuses, and therefore, I have no limits.

Cheers... :drinker:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I started off really horribly. I was really crushed when I had to put my cat down. Way more hurt than I ever thought I'd be over a pet. I let it overtake me and became depressed and stopped tracking food and exercise, which meant I ate too much and moved too little. I went from being 140lbs back up to 170.

Somehow I stayed relatively the same size, and I think that is because I still loved to lift weights. Even though I didn't do anything in a good pattern, I lifted heavy and pushed myself when I DID go to the gym.

I adopted 2 cats and bought a puppy. Raised the puppy pretty damn well and lost a cat again in August quite randomly. Started my first semester in University and earned highest marks in every course I took.

I took some counseling, learned that I have been Bipolar my entire life and that explained practically everything about my moods and decisions.

2012 was a very average year. I had some great stuff happen, and some bad stuff. I am very happy to have maintained friendships here and even met more new, awesome people.

2013 means I can track food and exercise again. I might not get back to 140 (I really want to be less than that) but I will reduce body fat, no matter what weight that leaves me at.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I didn't start out with any goals or expectations of myself for 2012. In fact, I strongly suspected I couldn't do it. But I stuck with it and now, I am 75lbs down, can run 3 miles and a veteran of tons of trail runs, 5ks and mud runs. My goals for next year is to hit my goal weight, be able to run a 10k, complete the Tough Mudder and run the Army 10 miler in DC. Personally, I want to shed my problems with self doubt and self hatred and boldy seek my future knowing that I am the key to my own success. This last one may be harder to do, but last year I thought 75lbs was an insurmountable task, and now look where I am :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My goal was to get back to fitness and stick with it, run a 5k, and lose more weight (which evolved into lose more fat over the course of the year - who cares about the scale? :tongue:).

-I have consistently tracked food & exercise for the past 483 days here at MFP!
    -I started c25k at the end of January, finished in March, and have run four 5k races this year. Have upped my distance to about 6.75 miles!
    -Dropped to my lowest recorded weight in the past 17 years in July, and have dropped two pants sizes during 2012! Still losing inches and hunting for new jeans - again!

For 2013 I would like to run more races, hopefully a 10k or two, continue to build muscle (which means I need heavier weights), and lower my bf%, and just continue my wonderful, sustainable, healthier lifestyle! :bigsmile:
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My new years resolution for 2012 was to go to the gym at least Once a week and to reach my goal weight for the year of 150. I accomplished both and it feels awesome :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I didn't really set goals for 2012. I got to a point where I was fed up of being chunky (ok, fat) and joined here. I have developed my goals along the way.

My main achievements were learning to do all the compound lifts (I had only done bench before). Looking back I am amazed how far I have come with my lifting. I still have a couple of lifting goals I recently set myself to try for before the end of the year, related to lifts for the main compounds. I hit my squat one last week. We will see if I hit the others.

Goals for 2013.

- get to a low enough BF% so I can start bulking
    - continue to eat ice-cream every day
    - squat 1.75 x BW
    - deadlift 2 x BW
    - OHP 0.75 x BW
    - Bench 1 x BW
    - run 5k in under 30 minutes (I was bullied into this one)
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Started the year with a difficult pregnancy but finishing it with a healthy baby and 56 pounds lost. In 2013 my aim is to get some form of exercise every single day and to start building muscle. I can't afford a gym so I will be working out at home. By Easter I want to be an AUS size 18, and by my weddibg anniversary a size 14. Currently size 20-22.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It was the worst year of my personal and professional life by a factor of 10.

Oh, we're just talking fitness? I hit or exceeded every goal. So I have that going for me.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    We had a baner year! Our company is still growing and our waistlines are still shrinking!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My first aim was to get back into my pre-pregnancy jeans (my youngest was 7 months at the start of 2012), and I did that around April time I guess. Then my goal was to fit into my old Levis from 10 years ago, plus some other old clothes. I did that too, and also managed to wear a very clingy red dress from 10 years ago.

In 2013 I want to lose another 15lbs or so and lower my body fat % and build up more muscle and get a more toned stomach. I'm a UK 12 (sometimes 14) (US8/10) at the moment and aiming to be a UK 10/12 (US 6/8).
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I didn't make it to goal weight like I hoped I would, but I definitely have improved both my weight and fitness this year.

I might not be the size 5 I imagined I would be again, but I can run over 2 kilometers without stopping, and that is something I'm not sure I could have done the last time I was a size 5. I certainly never thought to try!
  • taso42
    Options
    This is great stuff and very motivational. Please keep 'em coming.

For those of you that had less than stellar 2012 in health and fitness or otherwise, sorry to hear that. You can make up for it in 2013!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking. That was a biggie. The year before, I quit smoking.

Then, I started logging my workouts. I think it's an amazing tool. I'm the only person in the gym carrying around a clip board writing down my weight and reps for each exercise. But, the advantage is that with each session, I get better. It's amazing. If you don't track it, you can't measure it. If you don't measure it, you can't improve it.

Looking forward to 2013, my goal is to lose 1% body fat each month, until I hit 12%. I'm at close to 20% now.

I'd like to build a little too, so I have to figure that out.