Need a Sugar Detox plan

Options

Replies

• eonelson
    eonelson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that if I don't anything sugary for breakfast - eggs/meat/vegetables only, I am not as likely to slip up later in the day. However I need to change some behavior patterns because I believe my sofa is truly toxic. . .if I sit and either read or watch TV I feel the need to eat as well -- and I am a master at "just one won't hurt"!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    There is a great book out there called sugar busters- I learned alot about that. Best thing you can do is remove it- you can't eat it if its not there. You'll go thru a few rough days of withdrawal but your body will thank you- and cravings should stop completely
  • cboutin89
    cboutin89 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i just cut it out lol and deal with the 1-2 days of head aches.... dull the cravings and the withdrawals with nuts and fruit... i find its the fastest way...

True, You might have to clean out the fridge/house to resist the temptations.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat sugar, then stop eating it. I'm not sure what you mean by "detox." Your body naturally detoxifies itself.

"Detox" was probably the wrong word. Just looking for a plan to get me back to moderation - not eliminate it completely :)

Then try pre-logging what you eat. Doing that keeps me from over-eating. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • JameeraSaif
    JameeraSaif Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I quit last year for Lent. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I'm trying it again this year but starting on New Year's and keeping it up through Easter. I probably cheated because I would eat actvia to calm my cravings. I learned to read all my food labels.

The headache and overall grouchiness were terrible.

Mostly I find monitoring my moods helps. When I'm stressed I eat sugar to keep me going and then when I'm done stressing, I eat it to reward myself.

I'm going to use the website someone mentioned and see if that can help me.
  • Sahri21
    Sahri21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    just don't eat it?

Easier said than done! Some people struggle with eating the proper foods and to simply waste our time and put "Just don't it it" is rather rude in my opinion.

Now to be productive to this post: I start with getting the food out of my house. This doesn't always work, because people bring sweets into work, I might stop somewhere, and will power isn't always easy. I also find that repeating to myself "I do not eat sweets" actually works! Positive affirmation can add to willpower.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    just don't eat it?

Easier said than done! Some people struggle with eating the proper foods and to simply waste our time and put "Just don't it it" is rather rude in my opinion.

Now to be productive to this post: I start with getting the food out of my house. This doesn't always work, because people bring sweets into work, I might stop somewhere, and will power isn't always easy. I also find that repeating to myself "I do not eat sweets" actually works! Positive affirmation can add to willpower.

Thank you so much my sweet wedding planning friend. I actually love the idea of positive affirmation. This is definitely a very positive, helpful piece of advice.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Here I thought this was a detox plan using sugar.... =(
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My plan is upping my protein grams and taking l glutamine to help with the sugar cravings...so far so good!

Have heard both of these work! As well as upping good fats, coconut oil, avocado, etc. But I also believe that you have to cold turkey through it. I am starting that today myself. Sugar for me is a terrible craving and binge eating trigger. It also feeds unhealthy yeasts and gets your gut off balance. Didnt know if anyone was up for (and havent checked to see if this already exists) a "No Sugar" group! I am hoping to keep mine below 15-18 grams?
  • Cptrob
    Cptrob Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it...

Next topic.
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    My plan is upping my protein grams and taking l glutamine to help with the sugar cravings...so far so good!

Have heard both of these work! As well as upping good fats, coconut oil, avocado, etc. But I also believe that you have to cold turkey through it. I am starting that today myself. Sugar for me is a terrible craving and binge eating trigger. It also feeds unhealthy yeasts and gets your gut off balance. Didnt know if anyone was up for (and havent checked to see if this already exists) a "No Sugar" group! I am hoping to keep mine below 15-18 grams?

I am definitely up for a no sugar, low sugar support group. MVP is allowing me to have 24 grams a day so I am really going to start looking at the labels and choosing more wisely. I am not looking forward to those intense cravings that I get a few days into it. I started eating more protein today too and it does seem to help. I am also one of those people that really like bitter chocolate so anything over 70% cacao may also help me get through the initial days.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Everything I've learned thus far says we crave what we eat. When you eat sweets, you crave more sweets. When you don't eat them, the cravings subside (unfortunately not the same day). When I started out on MFP, I had a hard time staying away from certain foods, like candy and chips. I made a choice to eliminate them (temporarily) until such time as I feel I can make healthy choices with them. I've stuck to it. I RARELY will eat any of my trigger foods, and even have to be careful with artificially sweetened items, because my body just knows it's sweet, and craves more sweet to go with it (this includes Diet sodas, by the way).

I know there will some who will say that cutting yourself off from foods just creates that binge mentality. For me, there is so much I CAN eat (because other than my trigger foods, nothing is totally off limits to me), not eating those few items, after the first couple days, has really not been a big deal.

My eating philosophy is "everything is permissible, not everything is beneficial". I am really trying to focus on the benefit of what I eat, rather than where it fits on the yumminess scale. Eating to live, not living to eat, if that makes any sense.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth and my plan is to not have anything in the house that I will be tempted with and drink lots of water. good luck!
  • cuervoviviana1
    Options
    I have always been a big sweet eater, luigi mango ice is my weakness. i was eatting like two boxes a week of that stuff. when they told me i had to cut down on it i was like " noooooooo, its hot in florida , i need that mango ice lol" i started to buy the sugar free stuff, but it makes me want more sugarly stuff. just got to take it one day at a time, i guess
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    Everything I've learned thus far says we crave what we eat. When you eat sweets, you crave more sweets. When you don't eat them, the cravings subside (unfortunately not the same day). When I started out on MFP, I had a hard time staying away from certain foods, like candy and chips. I made a choice to eliminate them (temporarily) until such time as I feel I can make healthy choices with them. I've stuck to it. I RARELY will eat any of my trigger foods, and even have to be careful with artificially sweetened items, because my body just knows it's sweet, and craves more sweet to go with it (this includes Diet sodas, by the way).

I know there will some who will say that cutting yourself off from foods just creates that binge mentality. For me, there is so much I CAN eat (because other than my trigger foods, nothing is totally off limits to me), not eating those few items, after the first couple days, has really not been a big deal.

My eating philosophy is "everything is permissible, not everything is beneficial". I am really trying to focus on the benefit of what I eat, rather than where it fits on the yumminess scale. Eating to live, not living to eat, if that makes any sense.

This makes perfect sense. You are very wise..
  • Jessie169
    Jessie169 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As your body will be used to lots of sugar its likely your blood sugar levels will be all over the place when you stop having it. This means you will probably feel more hungry or weaker/dizzy and all those other low blood sugar symptoms. Also, remember that if you suddenly cut out all the sugary stuff you will be eating a lot fewer calories. This means that its likely that you will feel hungry - so make sure you eat enough to stop you feeling dizzy and hungry because that will only make you want to reach for the sugar!

If you cut it out altogether (which I think is best) then it will help at the beginning to replace the sugary stuff you are eating with lots and lots of protein and some complex carbs. Also stay away from artificial sweeteners and sauces - youd be amazed at how much sugar there is in foods you wouldnt think!

Also, there is always the emotional attachment with sugar, and you will also need to address this if you are to be succsessful. Try and find out your triggers to eating too much sugar. Also, it would really help if you could find an alternative 'thing' to replicate the pleasure or 'high' that sugar gives you.

Basically I think that (at the start at least) you need to fill the gap (with good stuff!) that giving up sugar creates - nutritionally and emotionally.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    just don't eat it?

I'm having trouble understanding why it is so hard to do. If you want it bad enough, then you will do what it takes. That goes for anything in life. It's not being rude, just using common sense.
  • Cptrob
    Cptrob Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i don't think it's rude either.. Is a long detailed post needed??

Step One- Remove all the rice crispy treats from your house. But Don't just put them up high where you can't easily grab them. Throw them away..
    Step Two- Dump all the soda down the drain...
    Step Three- When at the supermarket blind fold yourself as you pass by the cookie and ice cream isle...

A straight forward 'don't eat it' actually goes a long way.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I was a huge sugar addict and it only took 5-6 days for my withdrawal to go away when I quit cold turkey. That's what I'd suggest.
  • Jessie169
    Jessie169 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    just don't eat it?

I'm having trouble understanding why it is so hard to do. If you want it bad enough, then you will do what it takes. That goes for anything in life. It's not being rude, just using common sense.

People get addicted to sugar for lots of reasons, and they are all very legitimate.

Sugar is physically very addictive - this is becuase of the effect it has on your blood glucose/insulin levels (creating fluctuations and cravings, and also needed to up your intake) , it also affects dopamine receptors in the brain - these are linked to pleasure and cravings - is also ocurrs when someone is using substances like addictive illegal drugs. More and more of the substance is needed to recreate the feelings of pleasure.

People get addicted to sugar for emotional reasons too - sometimes it is to forget things for a while, or to try and make yourself feel better. or just to fill a gap of something else that is missing in their lives. It is also a fact that some people are genetically pre disposed to be addicted to things. Sometimes its just habit, and sometimes someone doesnt have much self control, or they are greedy!

Theres plenty of very credible scientific studies outthere Wendyterry, if you want to understand it further. Just becuse its not something you properly understand then it doesnt mean its stupid or doesnt exist :smile: