How Far Do You/Would You Drive To Go To The Gym?

Options

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I live out in the country so it takes 15 mins just to get into town that's full of nothing. My gym is 25 miles/30 mins away and I'm there 3-4 times a week. Distance, time and/or gas is yet another excuse I refuse to use. It's the closest one to us and is in a very downtown area so I usually have other errands anyways.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I can see the Y from my kitchen window.
  • Missysaurus_Rex
    Options
    I drive 15 minutes on a day off.. if I go after work its just down the road. I used to live in the middle of nowhere, where I'd have to drive at least half an hour to get to anywhere significant. This is like a hop skip and a jump for me now lol.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I really don't like the gym, so unless I get one that's within walking distance, I probably won't go.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    the gym in my home town doesn't open until 530. problem was, i had to work in a town 65 miles away at 7. so, i got a month to month membership in the town where i was working. i'd leave my house at about 4, so i could hit it for an hour and shower before 7. i think 100 miles would be my limit before i'd break down and buy a squat rack and some olympic weights

Can I have some of your dedication??

My previous gym was on the way to/from work so it was good.
    My new gym is 3.6 miles away and takes about 10 minutes or so depending how I hit the lights.
    I live about a mile from another gym and 0.3 miles from a Crossfit gym so I could switch and walk/run if I so chose

i'm only 2 miles away from the one where i'm living now. it'd defiinitely only happen pending on some sort of circumstances though.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I get in my hot wheels and drive all the way through the WHOLE house to get into the weight room.

edit: power wheels not hot wheels. power wheels are small enough
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    My drive to the gym is less than 5 minutes... and it's on my way home from work if I'm ever inclined to stop there before I go home. I like to go late at night so, typically I drive but if I'm going to a class during the day, it takes me ~ 15 minutes walking with my 3 year old.

Edit: As far as how far away I would go? Where I live now, no more than 15-20 minutes. I've lived in places that were literally in the middle of nowhere but I'm unsure I would get a gym membership at all if I still lived there.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I can run home from mine in about 20 minutes
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I can run home from mine in about 20 minutes

If I don't need to drive home after working out, I didn't work out hard enough.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I work out at the Y- The 2 I go to are: 2.7mi and 6.5mi (one way) away. I prefer each for different reasons but i dont mind the drive. Id say if it was 10+mi id hear about it from hubby (tightwad) but im not sure if id mind or not.
  • amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The gym I am planning on utilizing is free, (military spouse) it opens at 5am and that is the only time I can be there, It's twenty minutes away but my husband works right down the road and I have to drive him to work anyways we are just going to leave earlier. If I could afford a gym membership I still would have to drive 20 minutes unless I want to go to Curves (which I don't)
  • Belita38
    Belita38 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Well, my decision was to be in a gym which would be close to my work or my home.
    I have already be in a gym which is really close to my work but at this time I am in a gym which is halfway home. I don´t like to go home after work and just before going to the gym because most of the times I quit from going to the gym.
    Halfway for me and for my husband is the best solution!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I live in the middle of nowhere also. It's a 35 mile / 40 minute drive into town to to the gym, so definitely not walking/biking distance. No big deal, gotta do what you gotta do. We used to live in southern California where we had several gyms (and pretty much everything else you'd ever need) within less than 5 minutes from home, but got tired of the crowds and traffic and moved away from the "rat race". We don't regret it one bit and gladly deal with the trade-offs involved.
  • Depending on the class I have drove over an hr away just to do a certain class with a certain time.

The gym I work at I walk to everyday.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 20mins each way, but I train in my trainer's garage gym. I've followed her from globo-gym to Crossfit gym to her own space. It's worth it as I am fully programmed and can train pretty much whenever I like, with a very qualified trainer and a very equipped gym. She has a double squat rack, 2 extra sets of squat stands, about 8 Olympic bars, tonnes of kbs, dumbells, a GHD, rowers, bike, prowler...
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I travel at least 20 -40 minutes depending on the traffic and weather... But it is so worth it. Just have to bundle activities. I work in that town so two days a week I can go after work and then one day on the weekend I go and then do all the shopping for the week.
  • fleerik
    fleerik Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm out in the "country" as well and we drive 25 minutes to get to the gym. It's out of the way, but we try to combine errands and activities that we normally would do if we had to "go to town."
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I walk 1/2 a block if I go from work at lunch time.
    I walk 1 1/4 miles in the nice whether if I go from home.
  • jascat83
    Options
    30 mins drive to get there, 30mins home but I stay for a good 1 -1.5hrs for a workout.
    It's a 24hr gym too so that's heaps better and it's the cheapest gym in town (I live out of town)
    Only $11.95/wk no matter how many times you go.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I'm about 12 mins away... I think 15 would be my max.. I do drive 30 mins for other fitness activities but not as often as I hit the gym.