Need a Sugar Detox plan

Options
1235»

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    set aside 1 day a week where you are allowed to eat it. then if you have cravings for it during the week, think to yourself that you'll allow yourself to eat it on that 1 day and simply resist the urge until then. you can mentally plan all of the things you want to eat on that day if that helps. the first time this day comes around, go ahead and have anything you're still craving knowing that your next chance will be 7 days later. odds are, 7 days later, you'll be over the cravings altogether.

i do something like this when i have a craving for a certain food. i schedule it on a future day, usually at least 4 or 5 days in the future. if that day rolls around and i still crave it, i eat it. more often than not, i no longer crave it on that day. for example, i haven't had mac and cheese for months. i was thinking about it the other day and penciled it in for dinner on January 4th. odds are, i won't want it anymore by then.

or,

eat whatever you want when you want and find a way to make it fit in your calorie goals for that day. :smile:
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Best thing for me... replacing it with fats ie. a boiled egg, PB on celery, cheese on sliced apple (still sugar in apple though), avocado on rice cakes, cottage cheese with carrot sticks. Enjoy one of these snacks with a herbal tea.

I always THINK I want a sweet hit but once I have the snack with some fat in it, I find that the sweet craving squashed.
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Cut out all white sugar and suggary foods, like cookies, candy, cakes, breads, soft drinks, alcohol ...etc. Eat fruit that are sweet, and sweeten your tea with honey if you must.

I am doing fast from sugar, dairy and white flour products, and caffeine in the whole month of January, like I do every year. That takes care of all the Thanksgiving- Christmas eating.

Good luck, first week is going to be heard, but it can be done.
  • crabbok
    crabbok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you are all set up on this site, but for my Food plan, it also shows my my sugars, and I use that as a forcing function to help limit my sugar intake. I try to eat as few sugars throughout the day as I can and if I'm good, after dinner I'll eat a cookie, and I can usually get away with that. Sometimes I'll go over a little bit by having 2 cookies, but typically I try to stick with just 1 a day and I nibble on it to make it last a little longer.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    just don't eat it?

Easier said than done! Some people struggle with eating the proper foods and to simply waste our time and put "Just don't it it" is rather rude in my opinion.

Now to be productive to this post: I start with getting the food out of my house. This doesn't always work, because people bring sweets into work, I might stop somewhere, and will power isn't always easy. I also find that repeating to myself "I do not eat sweets" actually works! Positive affirmation can add to willpower.

I'm having trouble understanding why it is so hard to do. If you want it bad enough, then you will do what it takes. That goes for anything in life. It's not being rude, just using common sense.

People get addicted to sugar for lots of reasons, and they are all very legitimate.

Sugar is physically very addictive - this is becuase of the effect it has on your blood glucose/insulin levels (creating fluctuations and cravings, and also needed to up your intake) , it also affects dopamine receptors in the brain - these are linked to pleasure and cravings - is also ocurrs when someone is using substances like addictive illegal drugs. More and more of the substance is needed to recreate the feelings of pleasure.

People get addicted to sugar for emotional reasons too - sometimes it is to forget things for a while, or to try and make yourself feel better. or just to fill a gap of something else that is missing in their lives. It is also a fact that some people are genetically pre disposed to be addicted to things. Sometimes its just habit, and sometimes someone doesnt have much self control, or they are greedy!

Theres plenty of very credible scientific studies outthere Wendyterry, if you want to understand it further. Just becuse its not something you properly understand then it doesnt mean its stupid or doesnt exist :smile:

No, it isn't physically addictive. I have actually studied addiction issues and volunteered time working with addicts. Lots of things affect our dopamine and serotonin levels, that doesn't make ANY those things addictive.

YES IT IS ADDICTING SO i AM NOT SURE WHERE YOU ARE STUDYING AT.........

Find one study that proves that. Good luck! :wink:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    just don't eat it?

Easier said than done! Some people struggle with eating the proper foods and to simply waste our time and put "Just don't it it" is rather rude in my opinion.

Now to be productive to this post: I start with getting the food out of my house. This doesn't always work, because people bring sweets into work, I might stop somewhere, and will power isn't always easy. I also find that repeating to myself "I do not eat sweets" actually works! Positive affirmation can add to willpower.

I'm having trouble understanding why it is so hard to do. If you want it bad enough, then you will do what it takes. That goes for anything in life. It's not being rude, just using common sense.

People get addicted to sugar for lots of reasons, and they are all very legitimate.

Sugar is physically very addictive - this is becuase of the effect it has on your blood glucose/insulin levels (creating fluctuations and cravings, and also needed to up your intake) , it also affects dopamine receptors in the brain - these are linked to pleasure and cravings - is also ocurrs when someone is using substances like addictive illegal drugs. More and more of the substance is needed to recreate the feelings of pleasure.

People get addicted to sugar for emotional reasons too - sometimes it is to forget things for a while, or to try and make yourself feel better. or just to fill a gap of something else that is missing in their lives. It is also a fact that some people are genetically pre disposed to be addicted to things. Sometimes its just habit, and sometimes someone doesnt have much self control, or they are greedy!

Theres plenty of very credible scientific studies outthere Wendyterry, if you want to understand it further. Just becuse its not something you properly understand then it doesnt mean its stupid or doesnt exist :smile:

No, it isn't physically addictive. I have actually studied addiction issues and volunteered time working with addicts. Lots of things affect our dopamine and serotonin levels, that doesn't make ANY those things addictive.

YES IT IS ADDICTING SO i AM NOT SURE WHERE YOU ARE STUDYING AT.........

Find one study that proves that. Good luck! :wink:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17924782
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17617461
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to do it would be cold turkey.
  • sweatybettyboop
    sweatybettyboop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There is no magic diet to detox.

Eat Whole Foods. Drink Water. Eat Protein at every meal. Eat Protein at every snack, if you have snacks.
    Vegees, Fruit, Lean Protein, Evoo for fats, limit nuts if you eat them. Completely eliminated any/all processed ca-rap.

Once you eliminate the processed foods and replace with whole foods, then the cravings will subside & you'll detox from the refined sugars.

This *always* works for me.

Good Luck figuring this out :smile:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I think the Phase one of the South Beach Plan is a great way to break the carb addiction in general. Your body doesn't know the difference between table sugar and a slice of white bread.

For 2 weeks you cut out all carbs and sugar except for non starch veggies. You eat higher protein and healthy fats. After 2 weeks you start adding back in fruits and whole grains. It may not be desirable for everyone, and I'm sure plenty of people will bash it, but it does work for many people who have trouble limiting their sugars and simple carbs.
  • nyusha
    nyusha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Make sure you don't have any in the house
    Pre-log food
    Curb cravings with fruit/ dried fruit - make sure you "schedule" those into your meal plan

Good luck!
  • naner61
    Options
    :smile: bump
    quote]

Now that's what I'm looking for!!
    [/quote]
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who responded. I had a really good day yesterday. I had a no junk food day, upped my protein and drank a lot more water. It felt really good. Going on my 2nd day of no junk. Went to a vegetarian restaurant for lunch and it was delicious!! To all who said cold turkey - I think I am going to be able to do it just by making some substitutions so I have my tools. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I hope you all have a wonderful day!!
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    one of my problems was the donuts that would be bought EVERY Friday at work....when they came in I would take one, then want more, and more......I was donating cash to the fund, and I felt "entitled" because of that...so I stopped putting my money in the pot...that nipped that in the bud...when my coworkers told me there was donuts, I just ignored them and didn't leave my desk....this helped my to curb these cravings...I did want to go get one in the beginning, but told myself NO I won't... I do keep snacks at my desk, and try to stay out of the kitchen...I did add Ensure High Protein drink and that has also helped in this....I used to eat pasta almost everyday, and have cut back on this...

lately it turned out that I have gluten problems, so I am trying to cut back but I must keep eating all this in order to have an accurate test...once I go for the test, I will officially be cutting all this stuff out, maybe forever...depends on the results....I have found tho, if I eat something with sugar in it, I want more, and more...if I don't have it, even at the beginning it isn't that hard to abstain...it's a mindset.....
  • cardenalera
    cardenalera Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Excellent! You will feel even better once you've managed to control the sugar cravings once and for all!
  • cheddar2000
    cheddar2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I got some advice from a person (Darya Pino) online. If you ever heard of her she is a scientist who also is very much into eating healthy, exercise, etc. Google her if you want to look at her website as I am not trying to make an ad here just a point. She suggested that I put some beans in my diet to offset the cravings. So I added black beans for my lunches for a while (now just eat beans once or twice a week) and that seemed to help.