Juicing

Options

Replies

• NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Thank you I am going to check that blog out.

I want to use my juicer for good not evil :) LOL just trying to figure out how to do that. I too have a hard time getting fruits and veggies into my diet so maybe this will help.
    I've been juicing for 4 years - lost over 80 lbs, so here is the proof in the pudding.
    And yes, people are correct in saying eating beats juicing if you can swing it.
    I just won't eat all those veggies and fruits.
    Never going to happen...lol:blushing:

Yup. You lost all of that weight thanks to juicing... so you had no calorie deficits? performed no exercise? no other change in habits? just drank juice every day? Maybe you meant the other kind of juicing....
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I didnt realize that people Juice things other than fruits and veggies. I would never juice a steak lol. I was just curious on what others have done with a juicer because I want to start using mine.
    Today I mixed carrots, purple cabbage, kale, a tomato and broccoli with an apple.
    Pure good, clean nutrition! :bigsmile:

Hmm. I think all those things you claim to have juiced today are fruits and vegetables. The person you quoted was asking what things "other than fruits and veggies" people have juiced.

Perhaps you could photoshop yourself into a reading comprehension class.
    HMMM....no that's not what I'd recommend...maybe you should read my posts...and comprehend...duh!
    In the meantime....drop down menu..IGNORE USER...YOU!:laugh:

excellent.jpg
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options

I want to use my juicer for good not evil :) LOL just trying to figure out how to do that. I too have a hard time getting fruits and veggies into my diet so maybe this will help.
    I've been juicing for 4 years - lost over 80 lbs, so here is the proof in the pudding.

Yup. You lost all of that weight thanks to juicing... so you had no calorie deficits? performed no exercise? no other change in habits? just drank juice every day? Maybe you meant the other kind of juicing....
    I have learned how to deal with negative trolls on MFP...lol
    IGNORE USER...YOU...:laugh:
    Debate over...lol
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Debate over...lol

Keep Punching!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    As long as you get sufficient calories, macros, and micros you're fine. That being said, why would you want to? People don't lose weight just because it's in liquid form. They lose weight because of calorie deficits. I find solid food more filling and it keeps me full longer.
    A juiced steak doesn't sound appetizing at all.

I can actually answer this one. You have a lot correct already so lets get that out of the way. The juicer also has to have a calorie deficiency just like you say. That said there is a pragmatic reason for doing it. You can use a juicer to help you meet your macros. Some foods might fit perfectly in to your diet but they just don't taste very good. In this instance the juicer can make it more palatable to consume something good for you that you would not otherwise enjoy. This can also make foods more portable. It is a lot easier to carry and drink with a lid rather than carry the actual food item itself.

Juicing does not have to be a replacement for eating food. It can simply be a way of making your life more convenient. Your steak can stay in steak form.

I agree with everything you wrote, well said. My reference though was a bit more to the notion of juicing EVERY single meal. If I had a juicer, I'd get my veg on - just not for every single meal. =P If I drank all my meals, I'd probably need to eat twice as much to feel full lol.
  • MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    There are a few documentaries on juicing on netflix... you should watch it. Fat Sick and Nearly Dead
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

Debate over...lol

So sayeth the ultimate troll.

Edit: Since when is fact checking considered trolling?
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I love juicing but it's not for weight loss or dieting. I still eat my fruits and veggies too, but I like the fact that I can drink a lot more than I can eat, so I love juicing simply for the added nutrition in my diet. Remember though, when juicing you don't get the fiber so you still need to eat fruits and veggies as well. Try not to make drastic changes to lose weight, or you'll never be able to keep the weight off. Just exercise more, watch what you eat, create a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Feel free to juice some veggies daily if you want to get in that added nutrition, but don't think of juicing as a diet.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    There are a few documentaries on juicing on netflix... you should watch it. Fat Sick and Nearly Dead
    I can totally relate.
    My diet was so miserably unhealthy that juicing was just the kick I needed to get things turned around.
    It's a great healthy way to plug holes in a diet lacking in proper nutrition.
    Good Luck!
  • KChristie976
    KChristie976 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply's those who were positive and constructive. I think I am gonna start easing into using the juicer and still have real food into my diet as well. I am so new to the whole idea of a juicer. Do you need to (for example) put in a cut up apple without the core or can you include the core as well? Also can you put things such as peanut butter into your juicer for protein?

And I am going to check out a few of the documentaries thank you for the great idea I am sure that will be very helpful.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    I can totally relate.
    My diet was so miserably unhealthy that juicing was just the kick I needed to get things turned around.
    It's a great healthy way to plug holes in a diet lacking in proper nutrition.
    Good Luck!

speaking of plugging holes....
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Juicing is the fastest way to get nutrients and minerals into your body short of a IV. I juice regularly after a cardio session and if I don't do cardio that day then I start the day with a juice. My regular is a hand full of spinach, 2 apples, a kiwi, 6 leaves of kale, ginger, and lemon. Once you use it you will develop your favorites. I don't understand why people are so cynical about juicing. Once you taste a "real" juice and not that processed stuff in the store you won't go back.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    Thank you for the reply's those who were positive and constructive. I think I am gonna start easing into using the juicer and still have real food into my diet as well. I am so new to the whole idea of a juicer. Do you need to (for example) put in a cut up apple without the core or can you include the core as well? Also can you put things such as peanut butter into your juicer for protein?

And I am going to check out a few of the documentaries thank you for the great idea I am sure that will be very helpful.

You can pretty much put in anything that you want to eat. Personally, I'd avoid hard seeds if it's more of a blender type. There are types that strain as well and so that would be different. You'll need to experiment with whatever type that you have. Some people also add whey protein to it and make it their protein drink.
  • MissLuana
    Options
    Freedomyou.com has a nice overview on juicing. It gives you recipes that aim at lowering BP, helps with cancer or natural juices. It tells you what each vegetable or fruit does for your body or overall health. Very informative. For example, did you know that cucumbers are a great way to cool your body down? Yep, learned that from freedomyou.com.

There is a spiritual section but I just kept with the facts.
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Be sure to watch the documentary "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" for juicing ideas. He's a real advocate and has great ideas! He has a web site too http:\\www.fatsickandnearlydead.com what a great movement!

that being said, my friend with stomach bypass went into liquid diet immediately after surgery and had challenges getting back to solid food. It may have been more of an issue with the stomach surgery. He was getting cramps and vomiting from the solid food food after about 3 months of liquid. but he dropped an amazing 200+ pounds!

Try it and your body will let you know I think!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Juicing is the fastest way to get nutrients and minerals into your body short of a IV.

Your statement is misleading. While specifically true about getting the nutrients into the body, the absorption rate, which I believe is what you are intending to imply, is not as good as eating food.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Also can you put things such as peanut butter into your juicer for protein?
    No, you should only put fruit and vegetables through your juicer. PB would probably damage your juicer. If you want to add other things like PB or PB2 you should mix it in with the juice post juicing.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I would use juicing as a supplement to your day and not do any kind of extended juicing unless you can get adequate fat and protein in. But also-be aware that you may not enjoy the drinks. I really want to like fruit and vegetable juice from a juicer. I can't even choke it down.
  • missniwanda
    Options
    Someone may have already suggested this, but the documentary "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" covers the potential benefits of a longer juice fast (60 days). of course it's just a couple of people's experience, but they really improved their overall health (both men in the film were taking steroids for a rare condition and their helath vastly improved with juicing). I've juiced for a day or two at a time and I had a friend who juiced for a couple of months and she felt fantastic. I say give it a shot one day at a time and see how you feel.
  • KChristie976
    KChristie976 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you I am watching the documentary now :) Excited to see how this works for me.