Pasta - 20 calories!!!!

Options

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i boil mine in chicken broth for few minutes then dry pan fry them with whatever i have on hand....yum!
    What's dry pan frying? I've never heard that term before?
    Thanks!
    i cook them in a skillet with spray for like 10 mins until they aren't as moist
  • KindaOverThis
    KindaOverThis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ahhh - okay, thanks. I've actually cooked that way before... it was just the term that was new to me.
    Cheers!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    There are tons of recipes out there that use the tofu noodles in place of real pasta. I tried the tofu noodles and thought they were OK, but never really liked them. Broccoli slaw, on the other hand... YUM!

It's not for everyone, but who cares? If you like it, go for it. I like my pasta loaded up with lots of meat and sauce, so substituting out the calorie-dense pasta for something else that I like just as much but is lighter in calories just makes sense to me.
  • vnovit
    vnovit Posts: 101
    Options
    It's not for everyone! Yes they have nutrients :) google them. they're great, and they absorb really well - so sometimes I make them in chicken broth... yummm :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    you should be eating more calorie dense foods. This is kind of embarassing. Do they contain nutrition at all - or are they just something with no calories and no point in eating them other than to be able to eat?

I would never put gas in my car that my car couldnt use to go anywhere with

Edited to remove an overdramatic smileyface.

Here is the Nutrition for them that I found on the company's website:

Based on their Angel Hair version:

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 3 oz
    Servings Per Container: 2.3
    Amount Per Serving Calories 0 Calories from Fat 0
    Total Fat 0g 0%
    Protein 0g 0%
    Protein <1g 0%
    Sugar 0g 0%
    Carbohydrate <1g - only fiber

Zero Net Carbs, Zero Calories, Zero Glycemic Index

Ingredients: Water, glucomannan (soluble fiber), calcium additive.

No soy, gluten, or wheat!
  • vnovit
    vnovit Posts: 101
    Options
    Not sure what the Angel Hair version is??? Didn't recommend that one
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I like these too.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Nutrition Facts
    Calories in Shirataki tofu noodles

Serving Size: 1 serving

Calories 20.0
    Total Fat 0.5 g
    Saturated Fat 0.0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg
    Sodium 0.0 mg
    Potassium 0.0 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 3.0 g
    Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
    Sugars 0.0 g
    Protein 1.0 g
    Vitamin A 0.0 %
    Vitamin B-12 0.0 %
    Vitamin B-6 0.0 %
    Vitamin C 0.0 %
    Vitamin D 0.0 %
    Vitamin E 0.0 %
    Calcium 0.0 %
    Copper 0.0 %
    Folate 0.0 %
    Iron 0.0 %
    Magnesium 0.0 %
    Manganese 0.0 %
    Niacin 0.0 %
    Pantothenic Acid 0.0 %
    Phosphorus 0.0 %
    Riboflavin 0.0 %
    Selenium 0.0 %
    Thiamin 0.0 %
    Zinc 0.0 %

OH YEAH

tons of protein and healthy nutritional stuff right there.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    tofu noodles aren't pasta
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the Angel Hair version is??? Didn't recommend that one

Angel hair is just a type of pasta noodle. Fettucini..etc...their nutrition is pretty much the same regardless of the shape of the noodle...and I just pulled it from the Miracle Noodle website. Dunno if that matters any.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I hear that stuff kills people.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    They are great! I use them when I make homemade soups, etc. One thing I did learn cut the longer noodles in half prior to cooking them.....to prevent choking = it happened to me. Maybe it's just a "me thing" but wanted to share this info with you. Otherwise, yes they are low in calories and not bad tasting (the smell of them is bad but rinse well with water then cook them). Enjoy :smile:
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I found these a few years back and was super excited, but didn't like the taste/texture when I tried to sub it for pasta =(
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    there's different shirtaki noodles. The tofu ones actually have tofu in them. I'd probably give it a whirl if it helped me hit my macros better than wheat pasta...

also, sometimes i have gluten allergies that are a problem.

This is from the amazon page:

"WHEAT AND GLUTEN FREE 8 oz package, 2 servings, 20 calories per serving, .05 fat, 1 gram of protein 3 total carbs 2 of those are fiber, 1 net carb per serving. Once you receive them, refrigerate. Before cooking, drain the noodles and run under water for a minute then put in boiling water for about 3 minutes then put favorite sauce and toppings on the noodles. Also great in soups. Remember, these noodles are the real deal, they may be a little more expensive than the competitors non-tofu shirataki noodles but your taste buds will thank you for it because they do not have the rubbery texture like every other kind of Shirataki noodles. Product of USA KOSHER OU Nutrition Facts Serving Size 4 oz Servings per package 2 Calories 20 Calories from Fat 5 Amount/Serving %DV * Total Fat 0.5g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 0mg Total Carbohydrate 3g Dietary Fiber 2g Sugars 0g Sugar Alcohol 0g Protein 1g 1% 0 % 0 % 0 % 1 % 9 % *Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. INGREDIENTS Filtered water, tofu (soybeans, calcium sulfate, glucono delta lactone), yam flour, calcium hydroxide. "
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yep thats the same ones I posted
  • wiebelnancy
    wiebelnancy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I live in Virginia, USA and have found these in the local Asian Market. Ask for Shiritaki Noodles or Tofu noodles, and you can probably find them. They are awesome!!
  • Calicot
    Calicot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to look around the grocery store for this. What a great find!
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    There are tons of recipes out there that use the tofu noodles in place of real pasta. I tried the tofu noodles and thought they were OK, but never really liked them. Broccoli slaw, on the other hand... YUM!

It's not for everyone, but who cares? If you like it, go for it. I like my pasta loaded up with lots of meat and sauce, so substituting out the calorie-dense pasta for something else that I like just as much but is lighter in calories just makes sense to me.

Broccoli slaw? Sounds nice. Receipe please?
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I am jealous of those who love these. I tried them and almost barfed. I even whipped up a big recipe from here with them. *shudder*
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I found these a few years back and was super excited, but didn't like the taste/texture when I tried to sub it for pasta =(

Same, but I didn't try dry frying them. I wish I had - then I might still be able to consider them again. The taste and texture was awful!