Staple ingredients for protein shakes?

Options
natalienora
natalienora Posts: 67 Member
Hey everyone!

I just bought myself a Ninja blender and went out to buy some ingredients to start making protein shakes and smoothies.
I bought two Designer Whey protein powders (Vanilla & Chocolate), yogurt and vanilla extract. I was wondering if anyone could suggest what else I would need as basic ingredients? I'm trying to lose the last 8-10 pounds and I am currently doing a p90x workout once a day. I just want to use these shakes as either a post-workout or meal replacement. Thanks for the help!

- Natalie

Replies

• ChristinaR720
    Options
    Fruit is always a great addition! Cinnamon is also a good thing to have around, too!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    my staple ingredients: water + protein shake
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Try frozen yogurt too. Some brands are great and healthy as well. Consider keeping some ice cubes/frozen fruits in your freezer. Frozen overripe bananas are excellent in protein shakes and smoothies. I would also add nuts, peanut butter or chia seeds. If you're not scared of green smoothies, consider throwing in some spinaches or cucumbers too. You can barely taste them in combination with something sweet, and they are full of nutrients.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Water x 300ml
    Protein Powder x 2
    Vitargo x 1

If you're taking them in the first 10-15mins after training, you want to keep your body looking at the right stuff it needs for that period. :)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit, cocoa powder (to make it chocolate), healthy fats like flax seeds or flax seed oil.
  • HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    i normally use 4 oz of water and 4oz of fat free milk...i also bought this fat and calorie free caramel syrup that i add in with my vanilla protein and it taste pretty good....and i agree fruit is a great addition to the shakes...they have this PB2 which is like powdered peanut butter which taste really goodl...
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    0%, skim milk + Jillian Michaels' triple chocolate protein powder :) yum! Always used as a post-workout.. 23g protein
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
  • CDeRuyter
    CDeRuyter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Regular additions: Almond milk, low cal fruit juice, frozen strawberries & blueberries.

I change up the acidity by switching between peaches and pineapples. This has been my breakfast for over a year...on most days!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Instant coffee
    SF caramel syrup
    Or if you want to cut calories, look into getting some PB2. It's powdered PB and only has 45 cals in 2 TB.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I love milk in mine, but I love milk full stop!

Many people go with almond milk, fruit like bananas and berries...some add spinach, some add coconut oil if you can afford the calories. Some add nuts if the blender is strong enough.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i do one with almond milk, peanut butter, and a banana. get the chocolate protein powder for this one.
  • lorielovehailey
    lorielovehailey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk, vanilla whey protein powder and a tablespoon of PB2! I was using peanut butter, but the fat and calories from that add up quickly. PB2 is awesome.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I like greek yoghurt but not in my morning shake. It makes it somewhat sourish and off-tasting. I use a combination of fresh and frozen fruit. Currently, fresh blackberries, strawberries and frozen blueberries are my favorites. Add 8 oz. of Silk, unsweetened soy milk and blend.

The shake is never quite enough to make it through the morning so I'll eat the greek yoghurt separately with some roasted soy nuts and wasabi edamame.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond coconut milk. Only 45 cals and 1 carb per 8 oz. It is also a great source of calcium. I also use Pb2 and cocoa powder. My whey protein is unflavored because I like to be able to make it taste however I want it to.
  • carlarikin
    carlarikin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is: banana, a scoop of PB2, unsweetened almond milk and/or water, and a scoop of [your choice] of chocolate protein powder. Yum!!!
  • pongo609
    Options
    I use milk, frozen banana, oatmeal, peanut butter and vanilla or chocolate protein powder mmmm...
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I throw in spinach with fruit, yogurt, and soy milk. You can't even taste it.
  • natalienora
    natalienora Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the awesome suggestions. I really appreciate it! :)
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    When using the vanilla I use frozen fruit , blackberries or cranberries or bananas.
    Chocolate you can also use bananas or little peanut butter or cinnamon..