GOOD CARBS/BAD CARBS: The Final Verdict

Options
MoreBean13
MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
There's a lot of discussion here about good carbs and bad carbs- and how good carbs are OK if you eat them the right way. So, I have decided to clear the air and set the record straight about the RIGHT WAY TO EAT CARBS.

I'll start with the BAD CARBS, the WRONG WAY:
1) Cookies do not belong in candy bars. Twix are bad carbs.
2) Ice cream cake is gross. Who wants frozen cake? Nobody. There's nothing wrong with ice cream along side room temperature or warm cake.
3) Chocolate chip cookies do not need nuts. Bad carbs.
4) Chocolate chips turn oatmeal raisin cookies to bad carbs.
5) Raspberry flavored everything is bad carbs. Let's stick with strawberry, people. Have your raspberries in ketone form the way god intended.
6) Keep bakery treats out of ice cream. I do not want a cold, soggy brownie or cookie mixed in to my ice cream. See suggestion above re: cake.

^^^YOU WILL GET FAT** BY OVERINDULGING* ON THESE BAD CARBS ROUTINELY. ^^^
*overindulging in this case means eating above TDEE including these carbs
**get fat means gain weight in this specific usage, no comment intended about body composition

GOOD CARBS include:
1) Cakes and cupcakes warmed up or room temperature.
2) Hot apple pie
3) Bagels
4) Pancakes
5) Waffles
4) Cinnamon buns
5) Donuts
6) Fudge
7) Cookie dough
8) Ice Cream - Ice cream should be separate from all the above, but pairs well with any of them. (bagels might be pushing it, but I wouldn't say it's a BAD carb combo, more like neutral) Just don't force icecream to become a hybrid food!

^^^YOU WILL NOT GET FAT BY INCLUDING GOOD CARBS 'AS PART OF A BALANCED DIET'*^^
As part of a balanced diet means that you stay within your calorie and macro limits, and does not apply to those with a specific metabolic condition/disease such as IR, diabetes, PCOS, etc.

This is a non-inclusive list. Feel free to ask about other specific foods and I will tell you whether they fall under good carbs or bad carbs. It may seem confusing, but I am here to help. :bigsmile:

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

2) Ice cream cake is gross. Who wants frozen cake? Nobody. There's nothing wrong with ice cream along side room temperature or warm cake.

FINALLY! Someone else that hates ice cream cake! Everyone around here seems to love it, I think it tastes gross and not worth it at all. I totally want some hot apple pie (but only hot apple pie is GOOD, room temp or cold apple pie is BAD-don't forget that children!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    in~ so I can memorize later. Can't let amazing info go to waste!!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    What about drumsticks? Does the cone negate the good carbs in the chocolate?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Hi MoreBean13,

I just need a little more guidance.

Are muffins good carbs or bad carbs? I eat one every day and my weight isn't changing. Am I doing something wrong?
  • MoreBean13
    Options

No, Drumsticks are good carbs, because cones were designed for the purpose of holding up to ice cream. You're safe!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Hi MoreBean13,

I just need a little more guidance.

Are muffins good carbs or bad carbs? I eat one every day and my weight isn't changing. Am I doing something wrong?

Muffins are sketchy. If you're eating them as a delicious pastry and fitting them in to your macros and calories, they're a good carb.

If you're eating bran ones and trying to pretend they're a health food, they're a bad carb.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'll start with the BAD CARBS, the WRONG WAY:
    1) Cookies do not belong in candy bars. Twix are bad carbs. WRONG
    2) Ice cream cake is gross. Who wants frozen cake? Nobody. There's nothing wrong with ice cream along side room temperature or warm cake. RIGHT
    3) Chocolate chip cookies do not need nuts. Bad carbs. RIGHT
    4) Chocolate chips turn oatmeal raisin cookies to bad carbs. RIGHT
    5) Raspberry flavored everything is bad carbs. Let's stick with strawberry, people. Have your raspberries in ketone form the way god intended. RIGHT
    6) Keep bakery treats out of ice cream. I do not want a cold, soggy brownie or cookie mixed in to my ice cream. See suggestion above re: cake. SOMETIMES WRONG - Ben & Jerry Oatmeal Cookie Chunk ice-cream is da bomb!!

GOOD CARBS include:
    1) Cakes and cupcakes warmed up or room temperature. YES
    2) Hot apple pie YES
    3) Bagels ONLY IF TOASTED
    4) Pancakes YES, especially with sugar and maple syrup
    5) Waffles YES - see above
    4) Cinnamon buns YES
    5) Donuts DOUBLE YES
    6) Fudge YES
    7) Cookie dough YES
    8) Ice Cream - Ice cream should be separate from all the above, but pairs well with any of them. (bagels might be pushing it, but I wouldn't say it's a BAD carb combo, more like neutral) Just don't force icecream to become a hybrid food! SOMETIMES

Adding to the good carb list

- bread when just out of the over with loads of butter!
    - toast with butter and cinammon and sugar
    - pop tart ice cream sammich
    - brownie brittle ice cream sammich
    - waffle ice-cream sammich
    - ice-cream with fudge or caramel sauce
    - cheesecake with ice-cream preferably
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Double Stuf Oreos: good or bad?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The pizookie at BJ's, where does it fall? I plan on getting one this weekend. Yay or nay?

pizookie.gif
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Agree 100% with all EXCEPT:

6) Keep bakery treats out of ice cream. I do not want a cold, soggy brownie or cookie mixed in to my ice cream.

Raw cookie dough in ice cream is the best flavor.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    @Sarauk2sf- UMMMMM who made you the carb police? No adjusting my list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

No, Drumsticks are good carbs, because cones were designed for the purpose of holding up to ice cream. You're safe!

Whew!!!
  • MoreBean13
    Options

DOUBLE GOOD.

In fact, they're so good, that they make single stuf oreos bad carbs.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Agree 100% with all EXCEPT:

6) Keep bakery treats out of ice cream. I do not want a cold, soggy brownie or cookie mixed in to my ice cream.

Raw cookie dough in ice cream is the best flavor.

I'm neutral towards cookie dough ice cream. It's not my preference, but this list isn't about what I like or don't like.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    The pizookie at BJ's, where does it fall? I plan on getting one this weekend. Yay or nay?

pizookie.gif

I don't know BJ's but looks like it's probably good. If you get diabetes immediately afterwards, I was wrong.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Maple syrup, good carb or bad carb?
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

pizookie.gif

Which pizookie are we talking about? The list includes:

chocolate chip
    peanut butter
    white chocolate/macadamia
    oatmeal raisin walnut
    oreo
    red velvet
    raspberry white chocolate almond
    triple chocolate made with Ghirardelli chocolate
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Empirical Formula of a good carbohydrate: CH2O
    Empirical Formula of a bad carbohydrate: CH2O
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options

DOUBLE GOOD.

In fact, they're so good, that they make single stuf oreos bad carbs.

Note to self: carb load tonight!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

pizookie.gif

Get 2