What does your doctor say you should weigh?

Options

Replies

• serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have never understood what ppl mean by - big frame- , - small frame- ...

Bones in all the ppl are the same, its the muscle/fat what makes you skinny or overweight/obese. Mom always said i had a ´big frame´, I found out how to discover if im really into the big frame side only to discover that im not, im a small one.

Ppl that say that honestly I think its because we have been fat all our life and they are just scared to see us skinny.. or way too afraid to see a big change in us.

Actually, there is a such thing as small, medium and large body frames, it's based on your wrist size. And we all have different bones sizes, but more importantly, different muscle, fat and elasticity within our

Yeah, my doctor went by wrist size.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My Dr really surprised me.... When we talked about my weight and he asked what my goal was I told him 190-200 which is still "over weight".... but would make me very happy as I am over 300 right now... He told me that he would be happy to see me at 220, kinda shocking from a Dr.... but nice that he is also realistic and not expecting me to get down to 135 when I have been over weight my entire life.
  • swimmaw
    Options
    I am 5 ' 7 " and my doctor told me I should be 145 lbs max. Last time I was that weight I felt hungry, tired and cranky all the time. When I get below 160 I will carefully evaluate how I am feeling before going for more. I don't feel any need to be Hollywood thin and I'm not trying to impress anyone. I just want to be healthy, eat well and feel good about myself.
  • serenapitala
    Options
    My Dr is just tickled that I am at a healthy weight, that I am off almost all of my medications and that my blood pressure/glucose/cholesterol etc are all in the low range! I am pleased that my Dr. is pleased!:smile:

Good job :happy:
    That's pretty much where I want to be. After losing 50 lbs I already get to back down on one med :smile:
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    This is strange to me as my doctor is fit as a man can be, yet he does not offer strong admonishment about weight.
    I suppose at some point he just gave up on us.
  • trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My doc said 5' 3 I should weight between 130 and 140
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    My doctor thinks I look great as I am buuuut my opinion is the most important.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    My doctor said I'm well nourished..... http://www.thefreedictionary.com/well-nourished
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have never been given a number or even a weight range from a medical doctor. In fact, I have virtually no idea what my doc (or most past docs) REALLY think about my weight. Most never mentioned it. Which is sad because I was about 210 pounds overweight.

The only time they speak about weight loss would be if I asked about something related first. And even then most just asked if I wanted to try Meridia (sp?) or something they could write a script for. I have turned that down more than once.

Now back when I had my first child, and first started going diabetic, my OBGYN was the only one who was brave enough to bring up the topic and he referred me to the dietician at the time. (as he should have)

But I have seen MANY docs over the years...family docs, endocrinologists, etcs....it kind of always amazed me that most wouldn't mention it despite how extremely overweight I was/still am. My current doc does seem thrilled I am losing weight, but he won't bring up weight either...again...only if I bring it up first. I think most are just afraid of offending or hurting feelings. Perhaps they just figure it is obvious and there is no point in stating it?
  • serenapitala
    Options
    This is strange to me as my doctor is fit as a man can be, yet he does not offer strong admonishment about weight.
    I suppose at some point he just gave up on us.

Mine doesn't either. I brought it up because I lost about 50 lbs this year and I wanted to know where I should be aiming for next year. Mine said not to focus on numbers, but how I lose the weight (I am doing it the right way). I asked for a number to put into MFP and the like and he went by my wrist size to figure something out. He is really supportive, not admonishing at all.
    At least you didn't give up on yourself :smile: Great work!
  • sugar66
    Options
    My dr has only recommended that i needed to lose weight which i had to agree with, i started out at xmas 2012 with a weight of 326lb and after a year of hard work am now down to 236lb, I am 5'6 and acording to guidelines i should be approx 150lb.

However these guidelines were set in the 1920's and medical professionals now agree they are out of date, due to better diet and lifestyle people are generally bigger.

When i asked my Drs advice as to what my ideal weight should be he just said when your body is happy,
    I have gone from a size 28 and am now an 18, i would be happy with myself if i could get to 180 even though this would still be more than recommended. I believe health is more important then a number on a set of scales.

Just remember Arnold Schwartznegger was and still is classed as morbidly obese and just look at how fit he was
  • serenapitala
    Options
    But I have seen MANY docs over the years...family docs, endocrinologists, etcs....it kind of always amazed me that most wouldn't mention it despite how extremely overweight I was/still am. My current doc does seem thrilled I am losing weight, but he won't bring up weight either...again...only if I bring it up first. I think most are just afraid of offending or hurting feelings. Perhaps they just figure it is obvious and there is no point in stating it?
    I think this is interesting too. Mine only talked about it because I brought it up.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and my goal weight is 125. I started out at 165 and was in the overweight category for BMI. My doc didn't give me a number but agreed 165 was too heavy for my frame.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    For my height, most BMI indexes put me at an optimal weight of about 110 or so, but my Dr. a few years ago (can't afford to go and have it re-checked) said 140 was much more reasonable...not sure what that means though! LOL So, I'm aiming for 140, and will re-assess when I get there.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" I've almost always been 145 to 155. My doctor told me the same thing, "keep an eye on your weight. You are perfect now but try not to get heavier."

I was overweight by BMI standard but he never mentioned it, likely because my body fat was at/under 30%

when I was 125 lbs I went to the doctor and they didn't mention anything to me, but I felt like a skeleton. Now I'm aiming for that 125 again but with a higher muscle to fat ratio. :)
  • titi4j
    titi4j Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Bones in all the ppl are the same, its the muscle/fat what makes you skinny or overweight/obese. Mom always said i had a ´big frame´, I found out how to discover if im really into the big frame side only to discover that im not, im a small one.

Ppl that say that honestly I think its because we have been fat all our life and they are just scared to see us skinny.. or way too afraid to see a big change in us.

Actually, there is a such thing as small, medium and large body frames, it's based on your wrist size. And we all have different bones sizes, but more importantly, different muscle, fat and elasticity within our

Yeah, my doctor went by wrist size.
    My doctor went by wrist size as well. I always thought the whole frame/bone size was a wives tale until my doctor checked my wrist size and explained it to me. My doctor did pick a number much higher than I expected.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    my doc says stop bringing my bacon there to weigh, but you know there scales are accurate there very accurate
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

LOL!!! tell that to my birthing hip bones, and compare it to some women that would never be able to have a natural child birth.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The last few times I've gone in for my annual exams, I've been told that I needed to get my weight down, and when I broke my foot 3 years ago, same thing...I was told I was way too heavy for the bones in my foot (stress fracture from jumping wrong).
  • KazSmith68
    Options
    Nobody really knows what anyone should weigh, I am 166cm tall and have lost 14kg now weighing 64.70kg and reached the healthy BMI range, I checked in with another site and it said that I could do with losing another 15kg to be healthy...Really! I would look like a skeleton! I think we are the only ones who really know what we are going to be happy with and what we need to lose. :smile: