Best things you did in 2012 for your health?

Options
What are 3-5 of the best things you did for your health in 2012?

Mine are:

1. Start drinking green smoothies (2 cups organic baby spinach, collard, kale mix + 1/2 banana + 1/2 gala apple + 1/2 cup greek yogurt + 1 cup water + parsley, cilantro)

2. Get into cycling with my husband

3. Start some strength training (need to do more)

4. Realize I enjoy heated yoga!

5. Spend less time sitting, more time in nature

Replies

• toottoots
    toottoots Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    lose 18 lbs - Not much compared to some but its a start and the difference between getting out of breath going up the stairs and not! :)
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    1) got up off the sofa that day in May after feeling depressed about my weight and fitness, and going to the swimming pool
    2) putting the exercise DVDs in the machine and exercising when I didn't feel like it
    3) getting into the habit of looking for gyms and blagging free trials when away with work, and near home (3 on this free gym!)
    4) falling in love with running, doing my first race, signing up for the next!
    5) taking up weight training with a trainer to commit to getting it right :)
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a stellar year this year as far as my health is concerned but I did do a few things to move me along the way on my journey. I read a couple of books on health and fitness that have taught me more about the things I want to do to make myself more healthy (Thrive Diet and Thrive Fitness are the two main ones that I read). At times I have eaten cleaner, although it has slipped lately. I tried a lot of new vegan recipes and found some that I really love. I went to the gym quite a lot, did a good amount of skiing as well. I did gain some weight in the last year and a half, but I am still at the same weight that I was at 2 years ago so at least I didn't let things go too far.

I am pumped for the future, I will be more focused on my goals in the year to come but I have already gotten started.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    1. Lost 65 pounds.
    2. Able to walk up/down steps with almost no knee pain.
    3. Wearing size 12 pants when my goal was to get into a 14 (and I'm not done yet!)
    4. Just overall feel better!!
    :happy:
  • Lirin1
    Options
    Before I joined this board, I've lost 13lb already. So I guess that's one....

2, Signing my husband up for a 70mile cycle because he complained of feeling fat when I was a fortnight overdue- he called my bluff, started cycling, completed the challenge and has lost 2 st. We have a turbo trainer in our living room now.

3, Took up hula hooping! It's fantastically versatile, especially if baby is sleeping.

4, Installing apps on my phone that bug men continually to exercise....... :)
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Not a great first half of the year. But second half joined a gym, ate healthily and got to my goal weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    1.) quit smoking
    2.) started exercising
    3.) completely changed my diet, including the foods I eat as well as my macro nutrients
    4.) Started a food and exercise diary on MFP
    5.) Lost 12 pounds since October with more to come in 2013
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Move into our new apartment
    Lose 60+ pounds
    Stop eating wheat almost entirely
    Adopt a wonderful kittycat
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy Oct 16 2012
    Went from Couch to insanity Nov 2012
    started Walking daily Nov 2012
    Quit smoking Cigarettes after 20 years Dec 13 2012
    Lost a total of 14 lbs since Nov,1,2012 and lost a total of 16 inches of Fat !
    will complete insanity on Jan 2 2013
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    -Started walking 1.5 miles 5-7 day per week (weather permitting)
    -joined a gym (again) but this time I have been sticking with it and going 3 times a week
    -committed myself to eating much healthier and logging my calories every day
    -got my husband to join me in getting healthier
    -lost 16 pounds (which puts me at a heathy BMI and body fat percentage)

I owe a lot to the MFP community for keeping me motivated.

My 2013 goals are increased strength, a little muscle definition, and somewhat lower body fat.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    1-I got the $300 24 month 24hr fitness membership from costco.
    2-I bought a bike, and found I LOVE riding the paved river bike paths all around Southern California
    3-Joined MFP
    4-Tracked my daily food intake.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Awesome accomplishments everyone!
  • weightnomore33
    weightnomore33 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Lost 11 lbs. Got a new doctor. Joined MFP and actually use it. Bought a FitBit.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    1. Had my knees replaced. Walking was really hard so exercise was painful. Surgery and rehab was very painful, but I'm very glad I made the decision.

2. Started using my Wii again for exercising. It's the difference between sitting on the couch and doing nothing, and getting moving again.

3. I got in the habit of exercising. Now, I miss it when I go more than 2 days without some sort of intentional exercise.
  • m1oscar
    m1oscar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1. I ran 10 Half Marathons this year (goal was 12...)
    2. Bought a treadmill
    3. Cut way back on diet sodas...

That is pretty much it! Fell off the wagon this holiday season in terms of weight so I am climbing back on - again. Glad I found this community!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Started weight lifting last June.
    I am AMAZED at what weight-lifting does for your looks, health, beauty, and overall fitness.
    And, it's fun!
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Lost 50 pds - achieved my goal of 100 days in a row of working out.
  • gkershner
    Options
    1. Joined TOPS and stuck with it (80+ pounds lost)
    2. Joined our senior center which has a pool , fitness center, and trainers to help set up your program - although I have to confess I haven't been nearly as faithful as I need to be.
    3. Started taking my lunch to work - which also meant more veggies, fruit, and dairy and a lot less fast food and soda.
    4. Began to believe that I am worth the effort and deserve positive things in my life.
  • gkershner
    Options
    Lost 50 pds - achieved my goal of 100 days in a row of working out.

I love the 100 days in a row goal. LOTS of days I don't do any type of workout when I don't get to the center before they close. A goal like this will get me to do the things I can at home or pop in Leslie S. walking video. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Began consistently working out( minimum 5 days/ week)
    Began strength training
    Got my husband working out
    Began eating better/ healthier and sharing meals out with my husband
    Gained muscle and lost inches
    Changed my attitude about myself :love: