Tired after 3 minutes of exercising? WHAT GIVES

Options
Okay here is my frustration! :explode: It's been a very, very, very long time since I exercised (about 3 months) So lately i've been trying to exercise...I get tired after 3 minutes of working out. I want to be able to make it through a 20 minute workout without feeling fatigue or having to quit so soon. I'm currently doing Turbo Jam...which is fun but I shouldn't be feeling this way. I'm trying to change my healthy lifestyle by exercising but dammit i'm almost to my breaking point. It's way too cold to be walking outside (hate cold weather) Any suggestions?

Replies

• HyacintheAlcuin
    Options
    just keep pushing through yeah it gets hard... hell on some days i don't even want to push play.... but if it gets super hellish and i don't recommend this as a regular thing but on the days it's REALLY hard to get going try a decent preworkout like beachbody's e&e or super pump or something.... or if you like coffee and can drink it black try that... it'll give you the boost needed to push thru but other than that... you're gonna feel tired regardless just keep pushing and you'll do fine....
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My question is what is your calorie intake? Could it be too low? Do you get adequate sleep?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Walk in place. Dance around the house. Run in place. Switch it up. If nothing else, do three minutes, stop, come back, and do three again. You might be surprised at how fast you go from 3 minutes to 30 to an hour or however long you want to work out.

When I first started up again I could do ten minutes of relatively easy exercise, then I had to go throw up. It didn't take me long to build back up to something at least resembling a workout, though.
  • BeautifulBrownBbyDoll
    Options
    my caloric intake is 1590 and i get about 7 hours of sleep at night...
  • BeautifulBrownBbyDoll
    Options
    just keep pushing through yeah it gets hard... hell on some days i don't even want to push play.... but if it gets super hellish and i don't recommend this as a regular thing but on the days it's REALLY hard to get going try a decent preworkout like beachbody's e&e or super pump or something.... or if you like coffee and can drink it black try that... it'll give you the boost needed to push thru but other than that... you're gonna feel tired regardless just keep pushing and you'll do fine....

HAHA..Funny you mentioned black coffee because I have some in my cabinet that i haven't dranked in 3 months...it's like the only way i can drink coffee is with sugar and cream. I guess I have to push myself to drink it straight..:drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Okay here is my frustration! :explode: It's been a very, very, very long time since I exercised (about 3 months) So lately i've been trying to exercise...I get tired after 3 minutes of working out. I want to be able to make it through a 20 minute workout without feeling fatigue or having to quit so soon. I'm currently doing Turbo Jam...which is fun but I shouldn't be feeling this way. I'm trying to change my healthy lifestyle by exercising but dammit i'm almost to my breaking point. It's way too cold to be walking outside (hate cold weather) Any suggestions?
    Do what you can do. You're out of shape and it takes time to get back into shape. The expectation to do 20 minutes of vigorous workout when you haven't exercised in 3 months is usually unrealistic for most people.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You can do one of two things. You can shoot for 4 minutes which is a minute more or you can find a new exercise DVD until you build your stamina. After years of not exercising at all, I started out with Leslie Sansone. She kinda corny, but her DVD's work. Good Luck to you !
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Do what you can do. You're out of shape and it takes time to get back into shape. The expectation to do 20 minutes of vigorous workout when you haven't exercised in 3 months is usually unrealistic for most people.

IDEA Fitness member

You're lucky you have someone to tell you this. I tried out P90X after a year of not being active at all, and almost passed out a couple of times, on top of injuring myself. My mind was up to it but body said :noway:. If you can't do something for longer than 3 minutes without feeling tired, go lower intensity and work your way up to it, you'll get there.

And, have you had a check-up lately? If not best to check in with your doctor and make sure everything is good to go.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    even when i was doing cardio every day i would be very tired about 3 minutes into the work out just like you, but i found that after the 20 minute mark my body got a load of energy. not sure if thats normal or not.. or what the explanation for it is, but maybe its just me.
  • BeautifulBrownBbyDoll
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

You're lucky you have someone to tell you this. I tried out P90X after a year of not being active at all, and almost passed out a couple of times, on top of injuring myself. My mind was up to it but body said :noway:. If you can't do something for longer than 3 minutes without feeling tired, go lower intensity and work your way up to it, you'll get there.

And, have you had a check-up lately? If not best to check in with your doctor and make sure everything is good to go.

My last checkup was earlier this month. I agree with you..I think i am trying to do more high intensity workouts to keep from being bored. I got my test results back from my nutritionist and she said i was a pre-diabetic. I have to go back to my doctor and nutritionist in February so i'll be making that appointment as soon as the new year kick in.
  • AphelionPDX
    Options
    even when i was doing cardio every day i would be very tired about 3 minutes into the work out just like you, but i found that after the 20 minute mark my body got a load of energy. not sure if thats normal or not.. or what the explanation for it is, but maybe its just me.

This is so true (for me anyway). It's about the 15-20 minute mark that I get a huge burst of energy. Keep on going and don't beat yourself up!
  • BeautifulBrownBbyDoll
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

The only reason i'm out of shape is that after I had my second daughter, i was never told to exercise or other things like that. I suffered from muscle spasms about 3 months after I had my daughter and then I dealt with fibroids for about 2 years..they seem to went away on their own because i never had anymore problems with my menstrual cycles.
  • llaskoske
    llaskoske Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try one of the fat free coffee creamers. I don't use sugar when I use them and they taste great. This was in response to the coffee question.
  • BeautifulBrownBbyDoll
    Options

This is so true (for me anyway). It's about the 15-20 minute mark that I get a huge burst of energy. Keep on going and don't beat yourself up!

Thanks hun!
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Push Through it!
  • BeautifulBrownBbyDoll
    Options
    Try one of the fat free coffee creamers. I don't use sugar when I use them and they taste great. This was in response to the coffee question.

Thanks for the advice. I will try that out.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Since your diary is closed, it's hard to tell if you may be lacking in nutrients. Since I started adding in a lot more super-foods into my diet, I've got a lot more energy. Try adding in 5 extra servings of leafy greens, and brightly colored veggies and 2 extra servings of low calorie fruits (berries and citrus are best for getting lots of extra nutrition).

Most Americans aren't getting enough natural vitamins and minerals and this leaves people feeling tired.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I didn't stress about it too much when I first started. I wanted to ride my bicycle but could not last very long. Slowly I would increase distance and speed. Before my recent (non-riding) injury I would go for 60+ mile rides and not think twice about it! It took many, many months to be able to do that... baby steps. You can do it too. 3 min, then 3.5 then more. You didn't get where you are over night so you will NOT get where you want to be either. Sometimes the trip back is longer. Make the journey worth it and be patient and enjoy.
  • BeautifulBrownBbyDoll
    Options
    I didn't stress about it too much when I first started. I wanted to ride my bicycle but could not last very long. Slowly I would increase distance and speed. Before my recent (non-riding) injury I would go for 60+ mile rides and not think twice about it! It took many, many months to be able to do that... baby steps. You can do it too. 3 min, then 3.5 then more. You didn't get where you are over night so you will NOT get where you want to be either. Sometimes the trip back is longer. Make the journey worth it and be patient and enjoy.

That is so true. Thanks
  • DaphneAtx
    Options
    Everybody feels tired when working out. We just keep going. I hadn't worked out in over a year and started with 30 Day Shred. I was exhausted, but I kept going. That's how exercise works and how we make progress.