Options
    always weigh your bacon on your bathroom scale
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    The worst advice I ever got came from a doctor:

"Eat only lettuce and drink water, guaranteed you'll lose 7lbs a week"

And my life if I did that long term.

What the **** kind of doctor said that?? Someone with a PhD in ancient literature?
    Did he/she maybe advise bloodletting or leeches?
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I am laughing out loud reading this. For years I blamed my weight gain on eating late at night due to music work and eating after shows. I have been using MFP for 4 months and logged everything. Surprise! Eating late, early, whatever makes no difference. I lost weight or maintained during show weeks by being careful. Duh!

Myth 2.accordong to MFP, playing violin burns up loads of cals. No it does not!! Wish it did! Happy new year peeps and a huge thanks for all the support on here.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    Oh man, where do I start?!

I have a killer sweet tooth. It's almost constant. So people always say; "eat a pickle." Well, alright. I eat a pickle. And then another. And another. And one empty jar later, I still want chocolate. It doesn't work.

Or this one; "when you're having a craving, drink water so you don't feel hungry."
    I can drink a gallon of water. The craving is still there. Cravings have never had anything to do with whether I'm hungry or not. I could have just eaten a nice meal, but if a snickers bar pops into my head, I'm going to continue wanting it whether I'm hungry or stuffed to my gills.

"Eating a lot of fiber will get rid of cravings."
    My indoor plumbing thanked me but the cravings were still there, because as I said before; my cravings have nothing to do with hunger.

"Put a blue light in your fridge to make you less hungry."
    Just... no.

"Eat only chicken and legumes and don't exceed 1200 calories and you'll lose 15 lbs in a week."
    All I have to say is... are you insane?

"Eat anything you want, just exercise it off later."
    I didn't have enough time in the day.

"CUT OUT ALL SWEETS AND JUNK FOOD COMPLETELY!"
    I swear, I lost my marbles. I've gotten to a point where I barely eat it anymore, but it took time. Just cutting it all out made me want it THAT much more. For your sanity, you need to allow yourself the foods you like, even if they're bad. Just... in moderation. Some foods require more moderation than others, that's all. For example, Entenmanns... I had a problem with Entenmanns. I will not buy it, it does not enter my house. But if I happen to be at a party, and they have Entenmanns there, it's not a big deal if I have a piece.

"Eat only small portions throughout the day."
    I don't know, I guess this works for some. But this just made me SO hungry. My small portions throughout the day became more and more frequent, and I ended up eating more in calories because I constantly felt so hungry.

There's so much more... this is just all I can think of at the moment.
  • TighteningStrings
    Options
    The "don't snack while preparing food" rule. If I'm preparing a healthy lunch or dinner, and I snack on bits of raw veggies, fruit etc, what exactly is the problem? I swear some people act like cutting out the snacking on ingredients is going to magically make me drop 20 kilos a month.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    "Space your meals throughout the day to feel fuller and prevent cravings".

Absolute misery. Felt like I was eating all day and was constantly eating. Now I eat all my calories in a 3-4 hour window and feel awesome.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    "If you're following the plan we gave you, and gaining instead of losing, you're not following the plan."

I was on some medications with side effects including weight gain and thyroid issues as a kid for bipolar disorder. I tried several times to follow my doctor's plans for me, but they didn't work, so I decided to force myself to accept being fat and stuffed my face with junk, because one of the benefits to being fat is being able to eat as much as you want, right? In high school I weighed in the 350 range.Then one day I got too old for my state's healthcare coverage, went off the pills, and lost a single dress size with no effort. Thanks for not talking to each other, MDs and Psychiatrists!
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I could list so many.
    I suffered from bulimia for a couple of years and now I'm in recovery. I got so obsessed with food and my weight, I was even reading those dreadful pro-ana blogs. Now, I'm not, nor have ever been or will be, pro-ana in any way, but when you have an eating disorder you do some crazy *kitten* in your desperation.
    Some of the worst 'diet tips' (better known as obsessional behaviour) I have tried include replacing meals with diet soda, drinking different flavoured tea instead of eating food, eating only negative calories fruits and veggies, fasting one day of the week, drinking ice cold water to lower body temperature to burn calories, drinking warm water to 'fill up', chewing food but not swallowing...
    I did it all. It was insane. I'm so, so happy that I've regained a more normal attitude towards food. Now I don't follow any 'diet tips' or fad diets. I try and eat as healthily as I can, maintain a balanced diet, don't deny myself anything and exercise at least 4/5 times a week. Granted I do suffer relapses occasionally, but I fight through them. I refuse to let my eating disorder control my life any more.
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    my childhood doctor who told me to lose weight I'd have to eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, an apple for lunch, and a salad for dinner. are you freaking kidding meeee? what kind of pediatrician encourages eating disorders? GTFOH!!! :mad:
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    my childhood doctor who told me to lose weight I'd have to eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, an apple for lunch, and a salad for dinner. are you freaking kidding meeee? what kind of pediatrician encourages eating disorders? GTFOH!!! :mad:

Some of the doctors people have on this site are just shocking...seriously THEY managed to pass all their exams ?
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    1. Everything in moderation. It may be ok for some but not for me!! You give something sweet in the AM, I am set up for a day of craving and usually a bad day. I'm better off completely abstaining from sweets, than having a little. I don't have the self control to sample. I had about 8 years of unsuccessful trying to lose weight, until I figured this out!!!

2. Don't weigh every day. For me weighing every day is like tracking my food. Sure there are bad days, sure there are good days, but it keeps me motivated and on track!

3. And the most controversial, Fat is bad for you!!! I say bull****. I increased my fat and I'm finally losing and feel wonderful.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    "Eat breakfast like a king"

Never been a fan of eating first thing, I prefer just a cup of tea but after seeing everyone on the planet extol the virtues of a good breakfast I started eating one - for around six months I ate a 300 calorie breakfast (which is a lot when you are on a 1200/day diet!) and hated everything about it, it felt like I was wasting calories on food I didn't want then struggling the rest of the day, I never felt fuller or like I wanted to eat less later on.

I eventually settled on a happy medium and continue to eat a small (100 cals, usually just a slice of toast or some yoghurt) breakfast.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Most diet plans I've found are unnecessary - healthy eating, low carbing, paleo, vegetarianism etc etc. Fair enough if you can't process wheat or don't like eating animals but if you can eat anything, then eat anything. Calories in < calories out is the only thing that I've found matters.

That said, go easy on the salt and sugar. And eat healthily. These things are good for you if not good for your weight!

"Just leave a bite on your plate at every meal."
    "This makes me unhappy. I do try to leave the last few bites if I'm truly full, but to deliberately waste that last bite... no."

I don't like that simply because it's wasting food - I'd just cook less.

""Close the kitchen after 6:00 pm (or 8:00 or other set time)."
    Also makes me unhappy. I am far more likely to have cravings, eat more than I should, and feel bad about what I eat if I try to impose this on myself. Now I have a meal in my diary called "late snack" and I enjoy it very much and keep in my calorie goal."

I eat late into the night - I just save some calories to eat later; I've found it easy to make sure I don't eat over 1000 calories before dinner.

""It's best to exercise in the morning."
    I think that's been debunked and most people advise to exercise whenever you can, but I used to hear it a lot. I forced myself to get up early to exercise for weeks at a time throughout my life but I could never sustain it because waking up early makes me VERY unhappy."

Still not sure about this - I just do it, anyway.

""Reward yourself with your favorite food if you do well for several weeks/meet a goal, etc."
    I still eat all my favorite foods that aren't terrible, so I don't feel deprived or focus on FOOD as a reward. Some stuff I've just had to cut out. If I were to reward myself for losing a pound with a trip to Taco Bell or a sugary cake I would backslide so hard I'd have whiplash."

I don't have a problem with this - I'll have a cheat meal once a week with the family.

""Only eat when you're hungry."
    This one sounds very logical, but if I wait until I'm very hungry I don't make great choices. Besides, my hunger signals are pretty messed up. I've been watching the calorie count and eating small meals throughout the day to meet my goal; sometimes that means eating when I'm not hungry or before I really feel hungry. It seems to be working."

I'm always hungry. :D Healthy food just makes me feel empty. So I've got used to eating my calories in a very matter-of-factly manner and getting used to the hungry feeling.

I feel like I'm on a one-man crusade to contradict myself by letting people know it's fine to eat crap to lose weight but really you shouldn't eat crap. :bigsmile:
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    "You MUST eat every couple of hours, or your metabolism will completely stall and you will die."

No breakfast = forever fat.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    One of the most important things I remember for myself is this: Do it the way I've been doing it. I'm still adjusting to life with Type 2 Diabetes, so I actually DO have to eat every couple of hours, but it's small amounts, not gigantic portions. I have to make sure my blood sugar level doesn't dip too low into the danger territory.

I've never really followed diet tips because the majority of them DO NOT work for me. Best rule of thumb: If your doctor and/or dietitian is trustworthy, listen to him. Most importantly, listen to your own body. What works for one will more than likely not work for someone else.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Weigh yourself once a week.

---
    If I'm focused, weighing in every morning same time works. Why?
    Because I can gain up to a half stone in a week if left to my own devices so the daily checking works for me...taking into account water retention from lifting, sodium, hormonal fluctuations, etc...I don't get stressed about the daily weigh in number, it's more the trend I keep my eye on..

Whole grains are good for you.

No, not true for me. In my case, I do best, feel and look better with zero grains, even the 'healthy' ones like quinoa etc...

Fats are bad for you.
    In my case, if I don't have good fats (nuts, coconut oil, avocado) I get cravings and binge.
  • Infauna
    Options
    Drink more water, it will make you feel full! Or, if you think you're hungry, drink water first because there's a good chance you're actually just thirsty!

Nope... I can totally tell the difference between hunger and thirst. And, my stomach will continue to growl, even full of water.
    Exactly. :ohwell:
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's just because I'm so big, or maybe I look like a sucker but people are constantly telling me about these new wonder pills/wraps/shakes/patches/etc that helped their cousins girlfriend/neighbours aunt/dogwalkers sister lose 8 kajillion pounds. Please leave me alone, I just want to eat vegetables!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    low carb drove me bananas. if i try it again i will need to have a solid plan and prob. live by myself
    (i have 3 kids in grade school)

eat the cake then run on the treadmill

after the cake i'm not motivated, and sit on my *kitten*. which just spials to other bad things.

in the past cal counting hasn't worked for me.
    I get so frustrated having a hard time figuring out how many cals are in
    the healthy meals I made myself, bu feeling encouraged to eat boxed foods
    bc there's an easy cc on the box.

trying to make this round different by using mfp.
    very easy to track food on here comparitively.
    so hopefully it sticks.

sometimes it does work for me to just focus on counting cal burned
    bc then I'm still careful about my portions and choices,
    but long term it won't work

still trying to figure out what i'm going to do these special weeks of the month
    2-5 days of the month wanting to eat the cabinet doors and i've undone my
    progress for the month already. Ah!
    bout the only thing that seems to help is eating mountains of
    legumes bc they are insanely filling, but lately don't want to ever eat them.