Skinny fat vs fit photo

Options

Replies

• takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Along the same lines: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero

There are pictures where Staci goes goes from 117lbs to 131lbs to 142lbs but stays pretty much the same size, while looking a lot stronger and more fit.

This was a good read.
  • deejval
    Options
    I wish I would have taken a before photo three weeks ago when I began this fit to tone journey....I guess it is never to late to get on it now.
  • beebabe
    beebabe Posts: 67
    Options
    I wish I was "fat" like your 1st photo. haha! I have a long way to go...
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    bump

sure puts alot into perspective for me!!

so many people say 'cardio, cardio, cardio' to loose the initial weight, then start on weights.

That picture has definatley motivated me to hit the gym!! and the weights :)
  • meee398
    meee398 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump

Such an awesome post with really informative links.

I feel all motivated now :happy:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bump

so many people say 'cardio, cardio, cardio' to loose the initial weight, then start on weights.

And my answer to that is, why wait to turn fat into muscle. Both are necessary for being healthy and both have their benefits. I will say, your long term success will come quicker by hitting both weights and cardio than just cardio.
  • davinci21
    davinci21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow!! i'm going to start paying more attention to strength training
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump

And my answer to that is, why wait to turn fat into muscle. Both are necessary for being healthy and both have their benefits. I will say, your long term success will come quicker by hitting both weights and cardio than just cardio.

Word. Additionally, muscle burns more calories than fat, so the more muscle you have the more calories you will burn. lifting is important.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Along the same lines: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero

There are pictures where Staci goes goes from 117lbs to 131lbs to 142lbs but stays pretty much the same size, while looking a lot stronger and more fit.

Thanks for sharing this! It has become my go-to inspirational story lately.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    That is inspiring! I love how you look toned and went up in weight! Just goes to show that you can't always go by the scale! (hope more people will realize that too from this! :)

Agreed! This is a great example, thank you so much for sharing!!
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    This thread is definitely worth a bump.
    Great enlightening examples!
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Bump---> to remind me not to focus on just the scale
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Great comparo, I will probably have a similar one in January - I took one 1/23/11 at 183lbs and probably 25-27% body fat, one 1/23/12 at around 161lbs and probably 10-12% body fat, and will be taking one 1/23/13 (I am currently 179lbs, but same or less body fat than at 161).
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    awesome post! really does help put things into perspective... i need to read all those great articles that were shared previously.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    bump for awesomeness
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic !
  • free8gent
    free8gent Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great work! You look really fit and toned.

Your pics are a reminder to me that there is a lot more to consider than the number on the scale. Recently my weight loss has slowed considerably but I have been lifting heavy and expect I am building muscle. I am going to start taking regular pics to get the full perspective.

Thanks!
  • KyleREDHEAD
    Options
    bump
  • Lizzy9
    Lizzy9 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Perfectly written. Muscle weighs more then fat. Thank you so much on pointing this out.
    Thank you so much for this post! It is truly inspiring and I think demonstrates health and fitness over weight! Love it! Thank you!