Best things you did in 2012 for your health?

Options

Replies

• trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I started 2012 being "okay" with my weight... but I've since lost 20 more pounds and look/feel so much better.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    -1 Kept up what I started in 2011.
    -2 I didn't die.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    1) Had surgery 1/10/12 to repair a non-union break in my left clavicle - best move I ever made!
    2) Listened to my surgeon and didn't push the recovery, in spite of a driving need to get my life back
    3) Rediscovered spinning - since I couldn't really do anything else, I threw myself on a bike and rode for my life
    4) Joined MFP :tongue:
    5) Have given myself the last couple of weeks "off" of logging & gyming-it... too stressed, too crazy. And now I miss it and will jump back in with both feet!
  • lilteeraw
    Options
    1. I started exercising everyday. I used to just sit around & play video games all day.. but now i get up and hike everyday(:

2. I cut out all bad foods like pizza & fast food and all that greasy fried crap & am eating as healthy as I can. For the most part.

3. i lost around 30 lbs. If i didnt.. I would prob still be gaining & mightve even become fatter and had a problem.

4. I have become so much happier and confident with myself. & have improved how others view me.

5. Ive become an inspiration for others and have helped a couple friends battle through anorexia and being fat.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I quit my 20-year, pack-a-day addiction to tobacco.

Anybody else want to do the same - PLEASE READ ALLEN CARR'S THE EASY WAY.
    You can smoke all you want while you're reading it, and by the time you reach the end,
    you'll have stopped smoking.
  • davimen
    davimen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    1. joined MFP

2. Changed my eating habits to eating more fruits and veggies.

3. i started snow shoeing this winter and i really enjoy the workout i get.

4. i started going to the gym (almost daily)

5. i've stopped focusing on negativity, and started focusing on positives.

It has been a great year. Looking forward to a successful 2013. Cheers!
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    1. Went from 265Lb to 210.... thanks to the things before

2. Bought a new bike and started cranking out the miles. Am enjoying all the trails in and around St Louis.

3. Started hiking and walking the dogs more. They were putting on a few lbs and since I was their owner I had to take responsibility. I mean, we all take our cars in for oil changes, get our furnace checkout once a year or so, hit the dentist for a yearly checkup, why not take care of our pets that way?

4. Involved the family in #2 and #3. My kids and wife are doing great as far as weight loss and developing healthy habits but it is wonderful that someone so close takes an interest in you AND themselves. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy these discussion boards but you folks aren't in my life 24x7.

5. Finally, realizing I have to do any life style changes for me first. EVERY other benefit will come from this.

Hope everyone has a most awesome 2013!
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    1. I went back to the gym in February.

2. After talking to a work mate who told me about MFP, so joined.

3. Began a learn to run programme in October

4. Stopped smoking in November (over 7 weeks smoke free now)

5. Pretty much replaced my wardrobe, I was a 44" waist when I started in February now wearing 34" waist trousers.

The results of the above can be seen in the ticker below.

For 2013, I aim to continue what I have been doing, going to attempt a few 5 K's and a Sprint Triathlon, plus anything else that attracts my attention. :happy:

Andy
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Joined My Fitness Pal & Started getting counselling for Binge Eating Disorder.
    Been a bit of a crumby year this year, but I'm so glad that these two things came out of it and without this amazing community I wouldn't have managed :)
  • healthyformeanMona
    healthyformeanMona Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Joined MFP!!! :D:drinker:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    1. Got 3/4 of my liver removed along with a liver tumor.. Liver had started to fail.

2. Stopped taking contraceptives... That had caused the tumors. No more hormones for me.

3. Got a fitbit as a gift... Got me exercising after surgery. Helped me in so many ways.

4. Learnt HIIT was a great way to exercise. More bang for your buck!

5. Moved on to a BMF... Realised I was burning more than I though as my activity just kept increasing. Realised I needed to eat a little more and started feeling better for it.

6. Committed myself to being here no matter what every single day for over 500 days now. My friends got my through surgery. Still. Recovering but they support me in getting active again... And days where I'm frustrated because I cannot do what I want to do.

7. I reversed type 2 diabetes (yes its possible!) got my high heart rate perfect and my high blood pressure perfect.

8. Finally started strength training.

9. Exercising has just changed my mind set totally much more positive... Happier... More emotionally balanced.

10. Worked out macros that work for me... Realised for me it's not just calories in vs calories out. My macros leave me feeling full and not feeling deprived... Making this a lifestyle not a diet!

Lots of progress this year... But lots more to do next year! Can't wait to see where I am a year from now!

Most of all I met my best friend in the whole world on here. A lot, of the above points are down to her, she teaches me so much, is an amazing person to have in my life and next year I'll be meeting her in person! So excited! X
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Making an account on this website :)
  • tornadoladi
    tornadoladi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1. stopped all caffeine
    2. stopped all carbonation
    3. lost 84 pounds
    4. moving more
    5. enjoying breathing easier and less pain with my RA
  • bdotshaw
    bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking cigarettes (last cig was 109 days ago :D)

Finally came to the realization that for me, it's all about the FOOD (all thanks to MFP!!!). I used to believe that 5 days/week in the gym was to be "rewarded" with pizza or Chinese take out. Beginning to understand the HUGE role nutrition plays in weight loss, and just started eating paleo. It's tough, but I have got to stop letting food rule my life.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    1. Bottomed out about my weight.
    2. Started a program at Walter Reed Hospital called Ship Shape.
    3. Started weighing and tracking my food.
    4. Learned that if I control breakfast, the rest of the day is easy.
    5. Started a walking plan.
    6. Started doing weights again.
    7. Became part of a weight loss/exercise/nutritional study.

Decided that I did not need to control sugar, wheat, fat, white foods, etc., in order to lose weight. All I had to do was to eat in a manner that did not starve my husband, and that could work in any environment. It is not about control, it is about accepting a new, healthy lifestyle.

I will keep doing what I'm doing so that I can keep getting what I'm getting. So far, 32 pounds down.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    1. I got up off my *kitten* and started walking/jogging/running/biking and lost 40lbs, and bought a Polar Ft4 HRM.

2. Elimated toxic family members from my life and became 100% happier!

3. Started eating less processed food and more fresh veggies/fruits/whole grains.

4. Became a runner! Something I NEVER thought I could be.

5. Learned to involve family in physical activity at family functions. For example, we have our big, family potluck dinners at parks/campgrounds now and we play like crazy with all of the kids. It's a lot more fun too!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Stopped letting certain people keep me down, started running and lifting weights again after 14 years. lost nearly 40lbs and stopped walking down the middle aisles in the grocery store looking for artificial comfort!
    You sound like my twin! Congratulations! :)
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    First half of the year was bad. My heaviest was 232 lbs at end of May.

in 2012:
    1. Lost 30 lbs (weighed myself today - I'm 202!)
    2. Joined MFP in December (hey, better late than never!)
    3. Started seeing a personal trainer (well, I've only had a consultation. My first actual session is tomorrow!)
    4. HOT YOGA CHANGED MY LIFE <3. I started going to hot yoga on Nov. 2nd, 2012 and have never looked back!!! I go ~ 4days/week.
    5. I started running in June. I signed up for a 5k race (that's on Jan. 20th!)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Had sex at least once a month.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • justme9717
    Options
    I started Actually caring about my health just some 20 days ago...
    Anyway...the only things I did in 2012 for my health are: (very few though)

1. Decided to lose fat
    2. Joined MFP
    3. Started exercising
    4. Realize I actually enjoy exercising! :-)