What amazing new food did you discover this week?

Replies

• TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Ak-Mak crackers. Love these things!

100% Whole Wheat Stone Ground Sesame Cracker (Ak Mak)
    Serving Size: 5 Crackers; Calories: 115, Total Fat: 2g, Carbs: 20g, Protein: 5g
  • deeann1459
    deeann1459 Posts: 116
    grilled portobello cap as a "burger." Now, it's no beefy burger, but it's a nice substitute that takes on any flavor that you choose to put on it. I basted with teriyaki and topped with a pineapple for a hawaiian portobello burger! And get this...the whole cap only had ~30 calories! BIG difference from the ~250 for the beef patty.

Portobello pizza.... yummy goodness!

I used a little bit of homemade sauce, sprinkling of mozzarella, parmesan, green peppers, and black olives. I really like it!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Terra Sweet Potato Chips
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Here's another obvious one...spinach! Fresh spinach saute'd with red bell peppers, a bit of olive oil, and garlic. I've always hated boiled frozen spinach, but this is a treat!
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Nestle diet chocolate mousse and creme caramel

yummmmines in a little70calorie tub
  • Lisa03
    Lisa03 Posts: 18
    Almond milk! Lower in calories & suger than skim milk and very tasty not like I thought it would be! I made my protien shake with it this am & my kiddies liked it to could not really tell the difference!
    Lisa
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Ground flax seed. It makes me soooo full!

How do you use it?
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Parsnips.

I roasted some w/ baby carrots, pearl onions & baby potatoes. I diced them up & they're very sweet. I'm such a picky eater but wanted to try a new veggie. I toasted them in a roasting pan w/ a little olive oil for Easter & cooked them low at 325 for a few hours while the ham heated.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    I discovered Wheat Thins Flat Breads. They are like long crackers and 2 of them are 60 calories. They are yummy with laughing cow cheese.

Ohh I'll have to look for these... I usually stay out of the cracker and chip aisle... :laugh:
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Parsnips.

I roasted some w/ baby carrots, pearl onions & baby potatoes. I diced them up & they're very sweet. I'm such a picky eater but wanted to try a new veggie. I toasted them in a roasting pan w/ a little olive oil for Easter & cooked them low at 325 for a few hours while the ham heated.

You beat me to it! I'm a veggie lover, but never had parsnips... tried them a couple of weeks ago - just oven roasted (450 for about 20 min) with olive oil and mrs dash... they were SO good. :love:
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    grilled portobello cap as a "burger." Now, it's no beefy burger, but it's a nice substitute that takes on any flavor that you choose to put on it. I basted with teriyaki and topped with a pineapple for a hawaiian portobello burger! And get this...the whole cap only had ~30 calories! BIG difference from the ~250 for the beef patty.

Portobello pizza.... yummy goodness!

I used a little bit of homemade sauce, sprinkling of mozzarella, parmesan, green peppers, and black olives. I really like it!

This sounds AMAZING!!! Going to try that VERY SOON!!!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    I have always been curious to try parsnips...they say you can puree them and mix them with mashed potatoes and not tell a difference. I want to do the mashed cauliflower too!

I also want to roast some brussel sprouts...never had them!
  • smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    I discovered Wheat Thins Flat Breads. They are like long crackers and 2 of them are 60 calories. They are yummy with laughing cow cheese.

I just tried Laughing Cow Cheese today and oh my gosh...so good. I put it on wheat saltines though I love Wheat Thins so I will have to try that next. :)
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    I have always been curious to try parsnips...they say you can puree them and mix them with mashed potatoes and not tell a difference. I want to do the mashed cauliflower too!

I also want to roast some brussel sprouts...never had them!

OMG!!! I had some roasted brussel sprouts when we went to Napa!! They were amazing! Thanks for the reminder!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    mashed cauliflower is yummy and so are roasted brussel sprouts! Mmm...!
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    How do you make roasted brussels???
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Flatouts. Okay, I know everyone talks about them on here all the time, but I had never seen them at the store. Bought some of the italian seasoned kind - omg. Love em. I put everything in a flat out now. I made a regular turkey sandwich type one, I made one with turkey, hummus and feta (greek wrap -yay!), and one today that I pretty much just wrapped my usual salad (with morningstar farms grilled chik'n strips).

SOOOO good. Definitely more encouraged to go home and make something for lunch than go frozen! I want to try chicken parmesan in it!
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    If you like couscus, try quinoa. I like to cook mine in low sodium chicken broth...adds a lot of flavor!

I need to try this. I also want to try the roasted cauliflower recipie I see on here.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    OK this isn't a food but I am always looking for something different to drink. Today I got Canada Dry refreshingly raspberry, No calories, No artificial sweeteners, only a tad of sodium. Very refreshing..
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    I really restrict my carb intake, but have ben craving crackers something fierce lately, and those Wasa crackers are freaking yummy!
This discussion has been closed.