Staple ingredients for protein shakes?

Options
13»

Replies

• Macilegna4
    Macilegna4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh Yes I use the same thing I call it my peanut buttercup smoothie!
  • Macilegna4
    Macilegna4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i do one with almond milk, peanut butter, and a banana. get the chocolate protein powder for this one.
    [/quote

Oh Yes I use the same thing I call it my peanut buttercup smoothie! Sometimes I add baby spinach! Yummy!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Couple of my favorites with PB2 are:

PB Strawberry= Vanilla protein, Spinach, PB2, frozen strawberries & milk or coconut milk
    Mud Pie= Choc Protein, Espresso, PB2, milk, Ice
    Butterfinger= Choc Protein, PB2, milk, butterscotch extract, Ice
  • sahmom24
    sahmom24 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I make my smoothies with:
    1/2 cup plain yogurt ( I love Astro's Bio Best Probiotic yogurt)
    1/2 cup unsweetened fruit juice
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 cup frozen fruit - blueberries, cherries, or raspberries
    1 Tbsp almond butter (Puts a fantastic flavor in the smoothie!! Love it)

I'll add carrots or ground flaxseed to it too sometimes. This smoothie is delicious!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I usually just throw protein powder, cream, and almond milk in a blender shaker bottle, but every once in a while I'll splurge on a bag of the yoplait frozen smoothie mixes and make it with protein powder. My favorite is chocolate strawberry. So stinkin' good!
  • natalienora
    natalienora Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When using vanilla powder I like using 8oz. black coffee instead of water or milk and 1 or 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter and a cup of ice cubes (I don't crush/blend the ice though). I always recommend this to people because it tastes really good.

Sometimes I'll add in a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil too if I need a little something extra to help meet my fat grams for the day.

That actually sounds amazing. I never thought of replacing the water/almond milk with coffee. And I'm a caffeine addict! Thanks for the rec!
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I like to add either cottage cheese or fat free cream cheese to vanilla protein, almond milk and berries for a cheesecake type shake (you can also add canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice for a pumpkin cheesecake).

For chocolate protein, I like to use unsweetened chocolate almond milk (makes it really creamy) and either peppermint extract or peanut flour (it's the same as PB2, but without the added sugar and salt). I also recently discovered a lowfat shredded coconut that I like to add to the chocolate along with some walnuts for a german chocolate shake. Yum!

A tbsp or two of sugar free instant pudding is good for changing things up too. I especially like pistachio or cheesecake.
  • newmrsdec10
    newmrsdec10 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    bump for some great ideas!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Frozen berries have a strong flavour, loads of antioxidants but little sugar or calories - many of us don't eat enough blue/ purple produce. Frozen spinach disguises completely if you don't eat enough leafy greens; banana, peanut butter, block creamed coconut or avocado for creamy texture. Unsweetened cocoa powder for minerals and chocolately flavour.

I try not to waste calories on anything that is not supplying a range of nutrients - so no extracted oils and only nutrient dense dairy. Many protein powders contain some minerals, you may not need any more calcium from dairy but you might need more magnesium. A smoothie is a great place to add in a nutrient or food you aren't consuming enough of, they are so forgiving.