how do people do it?

Options

Replies

• littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i always got off track after a few weeks, but in september, i finally got sick of being fat, and got serious. went from 246 to today, i actually hit ONEderland... 199.8!!! im 5 foot 10, and still have another 25 pounds to go for my goal...

its like quitting smoking, until YOU WANT IT BAD ENOUGH, staying on track isnt going to work. YOU have to want to loose the weight bad enough!!!

you can do it, the question is, how bad do you want it?

as for how to do it, its not rocket science, its calories in vs. calories out... move when you can, walk when you can, BUT ALWAYS LOG, because we underestimate how much we really eat during the day...

I agree with this. I had a similar problem, where I'd do well for a few weeks, and give up because I just wasn't ready. But, just over a year ago, something was different. I WAS ready. And I've been committed to the change since then. I think, until you hit the "I'm ready!" point, there's not much that you can do.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This is all in your head. Get your mind right and the rest will follow.

Have the take away and the wine, just budget it into your day. I ate 3 slices of pizza for supper last night and still came in slightly under. Most days I eat healthy and I cook our meals, but I wanted pizza so I had some.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Logging accurate calories seems to work for me. I usually start to struggle if I am eating out and can't work out how many calories I have eaten eg Icecream.

Sometimes I will 100 calories less which also works for me. If I know I am not feeling particularly hungry I will do this however some days I need to eat the full amount to feel satisfied.
  • sandyroeser
    sandyroeser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    stay away from breads and sugar!!! it is hard but when you get used to it, you will see the weight come off. I treat myself once a week and have toast in the morning but no more
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Logging accurate calories seems to work for me. I usually start to struggle if I am eating out and can't work out how many calories I have eaten eg Icecream.

Sometimes I will 100 calories less which also works for me. If I know I am not feeling particularly hungry I will do this however some days I need to eat the full amount to feel satisfied.

I will agree with this. I log religiously, weigh, measure and calculate everything that I and my family eats. Sugars, ice cream, and breads are included in our diets, but because everything's measured, I know it is accurate. I've kept my weight off and haven't yo-yoed back up in over a year, all because I am a meticulous portion control freak.

I do have to say that when I started measuring everything, I was surprised at how much more than the standard portion sizes I was eating. Usually double what I thought!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I am seriously bad at trying to lose weight - i have plenty motiviation for the first 4weeks and when i dont see the losses i want - i go off the tracks and then i am back at square one

i am 216lbs and 5ft 5in and need to lose about 70lbs - i was wondering how people have lost weight such as calorie amount, exercise regimes etc

i work 12 hrs shifts as a staff nurse in a very busy ward so i am on my feet for about 7hrs of my 12 hrs shifts - i would seriously know how much i burn but on my Days off i dont do much and this is something i need to change as well.

thanks

I am an inch taller than you and started at 217 pounds. I also am trying to lose about 70 pounds total. I have a sedentary job. I set my activity level to 'lightly active' based on what I do the rest of the day. At the beginning, I had a calorie goal of net 1800, with a goal of 1 pound/week. I exercised and ate back those calories. I lost 9 pounds the first month, 10 the month following. This doesn't make sense, given the numbers, except that numbers from an online calculator about one's daily calorie requirements are just estimates. It appears (and remains this way at over 5 months in) that my calorie requirements are a little higher than estimated.

If you aren't seeing results, you may need to take another look at how much you're eating - it may be too much or too little. Too little seems to result in no loss for a lot of people on here; I read posts about it every day.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    stop making excuses. everyone has potential reasons NOT to stick with it.
    just freaking do it.
    stop with the i work a lot..... Oh really, because so do i, and I still find time to exercise. I run a company. and I still work out every day. I am planning my wedding, and I still work out. I have had family and personal issues come up, and I still work out. I still eat right. I have cheat days, I eat what I want on the holidays, and I'm right back to my normal healthy eating the next days. STOP WITH THE EXCUSES.

taking time for you makes you more valuable to all those that are depending on you. I seriously fail to see where ANYONE can't take 30 - 60 minutes to go to the gym, go for a walk, do a work out dvd. I don't buy your excuses. the problem is, everyone who fails is not failing because they can't do it. they're failing because they're making excuses. plain and simple. and the only one their hurting is themselves. take responsibility for your actions. you got yourself to where you are (most people are unhappily overweight here) - so get yourself out of the mess you got yourself into.

I was always overweight, and just thought that's the way it is. Well it's not. I started on 1/1/11 -- at 303.4lbs (I a 5'6'')..... Now I am 186.6lbs and still going strong. have run 5k's, 10k's and just ran two half marathons in the past couple months. yea, sometimes it hurts. sometimes it's hard. but you just stick with it. You just do it. giving up gets you nowhere. excuses get you nowhere. period.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Stop expecting miracles but face reality. You didn't gain this weight in a month so you won't lose it in a month. Small steps are the way to move forward. Set smaller goals and each thing you try whether it be giving up soda or doing 30mins of exercise a day is an accomplisment in itself.

If you bite it, write it, if you snack it, track it, if you nibble it, scribble it, if you drink it, ink it, always grab your pencil before your utensil and record everything! Keep a hard copy as well incase you don't have time to come on here and log it.

You will find out what works for you in the long run but there is no quick fix to weight loss. MAKE TIME every day, if you have 10 mins to sit down you have time to do 10 mins of squats or whatever exercise you can.

In reality, the question you should ask yourself is 'Do I really want this bad enough?', if your answer is yes then you will do anything in your power to achieve it!!

Good luck
  • keelz2010
    Options
    I started by making little changes like cutting out sugar from my tea, then cutting out other things once I got used to the change. Take it slowly and you won't feel deprived. Good luck with it all :)
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Being a nurse is an important job. What do you eat while you're at work? You spend a big part of your day there. Pack your lunches & snacks. When everyone's going to grab something, somewhere, take your's along. Doesn't mean you can't join them.

LOG, LOG, LOG! Commit to logging your food. Seeing what you put in your body will make all the difference. Even on the really awful days I log everything. Trying using th app on your phone. Take your measurements. Sometimes the scale is not where you'll see your rewards. Sometimes the victory is in the tape measure or in the way your clothes fit.

After 2 years I still tell myself that this is a lifestyle change not a diet. The pounds won't come off quicly but when they do... you'll feel great about what you've accomplished.

One day, one meal, one bite at a time. Whatever it takes to be a healthier you. Friend me if you'd like.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Eat clean, give up processed food and all sodas, get plenty of protein, drink water and lots of it, keep moving even when you are not at work. Most important for me, log everything you eat. Everything. Good luck. :drinker:

If I believed I had to do all that, I'd never have started. To me, sudden radical changes are too intimidating/overwhelming. What I've done is let MFP set my calories, log everything I eat and I'll gradually improve the quality of what I eat. I let myself cheat. My doc encourages me to have treats and cheat days, so I don't feel deprived. I just have to watch the temptation to overindulge.

I've lost 26 lbs in nearly 4 months, most of it in the first 3. MFP will lower your calories as you lose weight so you can gradually cut back. I've been struggling the last couple of weeks, but working hard to get back on track. It'll help to be back at work starting Weds.

It's hard work, but worth it. The best rewards are fitting into smaller clothing and feeling better. It helps that I have a super supportive bf who loves me at any size and encourages me to eat better for my health.
  • Theohariti
    Theohariti Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Also this is kind of cheesy but it helps me: Get a digital scale and start counting your weightloss at a 0.2 lb interval rather than 1 lb interval. It will make you much more proud of your weight loss. 0.2 pounds less than you were yesterday is light years better than no change or weight gain.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Two things I've found really encouraging:

1. Temporarily setting my MFP settings to my goal weight and seeing how many calories I get to eat for maintenance. I wouldn't do that right away. Your starting calories will probably be lower than your final maint. calories. I saw mine and was like "I can do that for the rest of my life".

2. Realizing that I'm 1/4 of the way to my goal! 25 lbs is pretty awesome, but realizing that's 25% of my goal loss really encouraged me.

I know you're not there yet, but keep those in mind for later. For now, keep in mind that making your calorie goal is celebration worthy...you're taking control and winning the battle every day you do that! Also remember that every fraction of a lb is a big deal and that 1-2 lbs/week may take longer, but gives you the best chance of it being a lifestyle change that you can maintain.
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    thanks everyone for all the support and advice
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given great advice already.

What I would say is to try to look at the very big picture. You want to lose 70lbs, but you also want to keep it off! That means you need to be focusing on changing your habits for life, not just to lose the weight. You need to remind yourself that these need to be life long changes so there is absolutely no option but to keep it up. At the same time everyone has bad days/week where they eat badly, even healthy people, so if after four weeks you eat badly, it doesn't matter! Just move on from it.

I would also recommend ignoring the scale for a while and not worry about losing any weight, it seems to be sabotaging you, and instead focus on eating better and remind yourself that eating well is a step in the right direction to a healthy life, not the number on a scale. It doesn't matter if you don't lose a pound if you're making healthier choices. Once you find it easier to avoid the 'bad foods' and actually start enjoying/find time for the good stuff just as much then it's so much easier to lose weight.

You said takeaway and wine is a downfall so you could start by reducing the consumption of these items. Start by saying you can have them once a week, that way you're less likely to feel deprived. And to help with that, like others have said, make sure you're eating more throughout the day, healthy snacks, and have healthy meals ready so you're less likely to want to get that takeaway.

You also might be one of those people that doesn't lose weight for ages and then suddenly see pounds fall off. I'm one of those people, it took two months for the scale to shift! So don't worry, just remind yourself that any step in the right direction when if comes to diet and exercise is positive and not worth giving up on.
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    I am a nurse too.

Just track your food, be honest you will be amazed at how many calories are in the take away food. It's a real eye opener.
    Learn what a portion really is by measuring.

Take healthy food to work, or if eating in the cafeteria pick healthy choices. It's easier to diet at work because you are so busy.
    So that is 3-4 days a week you will stick to it with out a lot of effort.

Make sure you eat dinner before you go home so take out is not a temptation. Have a glass of wine when you get home.

If you do cave an get take out food. Try to get the healthier stuff and only eat half of it. Seems like a waste but something has to change. Stay away from hamburgers and fries. They are the worst. If its Mexican then skip the chips, rice and beans. Eat fajitas, and only eat a couple of the tortillas with it. Chinese, skip the rice and noodles, or very little rice, and eat the meat and veggie choices. There are several ways to tweak take out food.

Be realistic it's going to take a year or more to take the weight off. So get that set in your mind. If you eat right 80% of the time and don't go overboard on the times you do get off track you will lose.

You have to move on at least a couple of your days off. Even if it is just a walk, or a workout DVD at home.

It's a lifestyle change. Look at your sickest, fattest pts that expect you to move them. They put themselves in that situation. That is what motivated me, I don't want to go out like that.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is easy. Just figure out what your caloric maintenance is then simply eat at a caloric deficit. I'm surprised in such a busy job as a nurse you'd have problem losing the weight. Perhaps you have a bad diet also? A lot of it is common sense, cut out the cakes, chocolate, takeaways, etc.
  • lucysmommy
    Options
    Losing weight is easy. Just figure out what your caloric maintenance is then simply eat at a caloric deficit. I'm surprised in such a busy job as a nurse you'd have problem losing the weight. Perhaps you have a bad diet also? A lot of it is common sense, cut out the cakes, chocolate, takeaways, etc.

hi yeah my diet at work is actually pretty good its when i get home after 6hrs with no break that i can eat anything and everything in sight!!
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    Take the timeline off - don't think about the weeks. Take it one day at a time, one choice at a time, one step at a time. I had so much to lose when I first started, I couldn't even think about the long road ahead. I took it in 5 pound increments. I lost the first 5 and then said to myself, yup - I'm going for another 5 and so on and so on..... Don't make it a 'diet', make it a life style change. My favourite mantra (and some of you may groan) ...... It's a journey; not a race.

I'd have to agree with this! Small steps make the biggest changes in the end. I, myself, cannot set such a huge goal. I get intimidated easily and fail. I had to start really small. It started with "I'll make sure I log EVERYTHING for the first week.....good or bad." I met that goal. Then I said I'd make a small change to my diet.....such as fewer sodas or soy milk in my coffee vs regular milk, etc. Then I just kept going. And I'm still here about 80some days later and 13 pounds lighter.
    And it sounds like you get plenty of exercise in (with all the walking you do at work), so it's gotta be the food that's the issue. So I'd suggest making just one or two small changes at first. Then work your way from there. You can do it!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to have a strong WHY---a well thought out and well written reason WHY you want to get healthy. And then, after that, be sure you have a strong WHERE---use your words or Pinterest or create a vision board of where you want to be when you reach goal weight. What will you look like, what your life be like? what will you wear?, etc. Read these very often. When you give up in 4 weeks, it is usually because you do not have a strong why?

Oftentimes people are just interested in losing weight but not really willing to commit. BIg difference. I suspect you are in the interested phase and not the committed phase?? Commit to get healthy, don't focus on weight loss only, focus on true overall good health. Good health is about more than just losing weight. If you want it bad enough, you can do it :)