Alcohol

Options
Do you track your alcohol calories? Not that i am a alcoholic but enjoy a drink everyone in a while. I have read a studywhere calories from spirits dont cause weight gain

Replies

• sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you heard that but it's probably wishful thinking :)
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yes I count them because they are calories. Also straight out of a nutritionists mouth, alcohol turns into sugar when digested. Sugar=not good for weight loss. That being said, I'm leaving room in my diary for a few drinks tonight!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I do track the calories. I do not mix with high caloric beveages to save on calories. I do believe that the calories may not be completely accurate as alchol is a dieretic.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Do I track? Yes, most definitely.

Does alcohol cause weight gain? It can, especially in heavier drinkers.

Here is a study on alcohol, body weight, and weight gain in middle aged men that concludes: "Heavy alcohol intake (>or= 30 g/d) contributes directly to weight gain and obesity, irrespective of the type of alcohol consumed."

In moderate drinkers, the literature points to the general conclusion that alcohol is not a determiner of weight gain, but there were no lifestyle adjustments or controls (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21790610 ).
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Yup, I measure them in my little ounce cup and log them. :)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Gimme.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I have read a studywhere calories from spirits dont cause weight gain

Only on Saturday.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I usually do...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yes, for sure you do, most of the time, it is the pop or mix that has all the calories., drink her straight!
  • rxman13
    rxman13 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am looking for the study.. But it was scientific. and had a P value of .005. Which means the study if repeated would have the same results with a 95 % success rate
  • rxman13
    rxman13 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Also talking like Bourbon and Vodka not beer or mixed drinks of any kinds
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Of course you count them. But, I've said it before. For me, it's not the calories in the booze that messes me up. It's the all evening munchies I get and loss of inhibition for what I eat that is the problem. Even the next day I notice cravings that are hard to control.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I count them...I've heard the same thing (in RE to straight liquor), but I'm erring on the side of caution. I just plan for them. I'm actually trying to cut back...I've actually already cut back substantially, but I still have 3-4 drinks per night. I've significantly cut back on beer and my overall intake, but I'm really in the habit of coming home from work and having a few drinks. In the new year I'm planning to limit my intake to weekends and occasions...I will probably count it, but not be so overly concerned as I am now.
  • hyerlevo
    Options
    No I dont track it but since it's up there near the "Fat" category (fat =9 cal per gram) ( alcohol =7 cal per gram) while protien and carbs are only 4 cal per gram, I enulge in it sparingly.

Be well!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes track them, they are high and add up!! :grumble:
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    yup and Saturday kicked my butt.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Of course I count them. You are lying to yourself if you don't.
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Of course you count them. But, I've said it before. For me, it's not the calories in the booze that messes me up. It's the all evening munchies I get and loss of inhibition for what I eat that is the problem. Even the next day I notice cravings that are hard to control.

Agreed!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Do you track your alcohol calories? Not that i am a alcoholic but enjoy a drink everyone in a while. I have read a studywhere calories from spirits dont cause weight gain
    Yes, please cite that study.....I need some good comedy...:laugh:
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Cite that study.....I need some good comedy...:laugh:

I have been doing some independent research on this topic. So far my findings indicate that alcohol calories do count. Planning on doing a double blind study tonight...