My Success: Results of quitting smoking

Options

Replies

• goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    Great job! My boyfriend and I quit about 3 months ago, also. It's the best thing I ever did and I wish I had done it sooner as it was not nearly as hard as i thought it would be. We have not specifically been saving the money from it, though. Maybe we should.

I'd encourage it, as when you start to feel you have a moment of weakness it helps to refer back to what you've achieved and the money is an immediate thing you can see.

This post was made just over a month ago - now I am a further 250 UK pounds richer too :)
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    So thats now £2,550 saved up...

Just put in an order for a new high spec bike too, and my cigarette money has just paid for it :)
    So me giving up is making me even more healthy.
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Well done you! As an ex-smoker myself, I know how damned hard it can be but it was using the kind of image you have posted that finally got me to stop - that and a boyfriend who had the courage (and to me, riches) to take a £10 note, roll it up and set light to it to show me what I was doing to my hard earned money.

Thanks for the graphic with the money - now all I need to do is to apply the same principles to my weight! it helps to imagine it but with weight as the image instead (sorry bags of sugar, flour or blocks of lard/butter just don't do it for me), so has anyone got a couple of suitcases full of clothes for me to carry around permanently? Why? Because that is what I am doing to myself with every extra pound/kilo that I am overweight.

Currently managing to toss out the equivalent of a couple of t-shirts (maybe a little more) each week, so with luck I will have shed a whole suitcase full of clothes by the end of June 2013 (enough for a trans Atlantic flight at 32kgs luggage limit).

Oh, and I don't smell like an old ash tray any more - yay!
  • tishajo
    tishajo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    There's motivation! Very well done. I am on day 9, tobacco free. I am going to steal that idea. Thank you for the post!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME!!!!!!!! Congratulations--and not only are you saving money, if you could see your lungs...they are doing a happy dance too!!

p.s.--I know this for I quit 2/12/12--almost at the 1 year mark--hooorayy
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    That is great!

I quit smoking in 2009 and just went and found an online calculator to tell me my stats.

I have been quit for 1189 days. In that time, I have not smoked 23,782 cigarettes. I have saved $4,756.58!

WOW!

Too bad I didn't put my savings in a jar too.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You have done two of the best things you can to to ensure a bright future!!

I quit a two pack a day habit in 1986 cold turkey... At the time cigs cost $1.25 per pack -- I can't believe how much people pay for them now!!

Living a healthy lifestyle and having a little money in the bank are two habits that will serve you well!!

Never go back to smoking, and keep saving:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    So incredibly awesome.

Now go make it rain!!!!
  • Never2Bz
    Never2Bz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Great Job! I quit January 6, 2007 after 40 years. Wishing now I had done the same thing with a savings. Congrats!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Great job OP!! Quitting is one of my goals for 2013. The money factor has always been a motivating one for me (the last 5 times I quit :bigsmile: ). Now I'm just trying to convince myself that I WON'T regain the weight. Got to get my head right before I make another quit attempt since I can easily imagine myself giving up on both (quitting smoking, losing weight) if quitting contributes to a weight gain.
  • patty1063
    patty1063 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Advice on quitting? Anyone? Best way?
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Patty--not sure if it's the best way or not, but I used nicotine gum for about 2 weeks, and then decided to just stop all nicotine. The nicotine gum helped give me the courage, and then I realized I didn't really like smoking--was just addicted. You have to really want to quit and believe that you can--and trust me--you can if I can!!!
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am currently 3 and 1/2 days smoke free! I've started and stopped so many times before but this time I really want it to be for real. I'm not sure, but I think because I'm telling myself there's no going back, it's been really hard this time.

I'm going cold turkey, maybe for bragging rights tbh, but I also kind of believe that if you actually want to stop this is the way it should be. I created this situation to be experiencing withdrawals, I deserve to go through this misery. The faster nicotine and poison is out of my body the better!
  • Amanda21202
    Amanda21202 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke free for a year and half, i wish i would of saved up all the money i used to "burn"............damn!:grumble: :tongue:

EDIT:
    just to boost myself up a bit i also just went cold turkey after about 5 years of smoking 10-20 a day :bigsmile:
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    clever and cool perspective. one of the best "after pics" i've ever seen. you've done amazing things for your health..and hopefully inspired someone out there to kick the habit too. The money saving idea was brilliant.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    What's your address? :laugh:

Seriously, great job giving up the smokes!
  • DesertDriver
    Options
    Well done on giving up the smokes! I am just about to start myself and trying some tablets called Champix. Quite a few of my mates have successfully given up, so it's worth a go and mentally I'm now ready to give it a go too!
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Success is Success and money has always been a great motivator. Congrats on quitting smoking and saving money.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Awesome! 4 months on the dot today for me!
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Dang! I'm going to do this. Thanks for the idea!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!