Sickest you've ever been

Options

Replies

• Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I was put in the hospital for 5 days with mono when I was a kid.

Everything since has been nothing but minor colds / flu.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I had a 105 degree fever when I was, oh, probably about 10? Actually I have no idea how old I was, but old enough to be embarrassed when the babysitter put me in the tub.

I also had chicken pox and strep throat (together) at some point. I remember it being awful.

I had tonsillitis 3 times in a row as an adult. Nasty.

Also had a couple of bouts of food poisoning. Those were bad, but mercifully, quick.

Otherwise I have been disgustingly healthy. :D
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    when i was a senior in high shool (1993) i had TSS. almost died from it. was in hospital for a week and sick at home for 2 more
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I had the flu last year that had me in bed for 29 days. It was probably H1N1. It was terrible.

29 days... holy crap
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm sick with bronchitis and a sinus infection for like a week now...

What's the sickest you've ever been and how long were you out of comission for ?

Hope you are getting a lift from the board here. Happy to help with that. This for you shall pass. Chin up.

My blood clot in 2010 that nearly killed me except for the grace of God and "lucky" proximity
    to immediate medical attention, again divine intervention. Took about 3 weeks to exit the hospital. No definitive warning signs of any kind folks so pay attention to your health please. I know many of you are young so that's a great time to start paying attention. Please don't wait until you have a condition as the doctors can not cure all and most things are better prevented than cured. My view.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I had food poisoning a couple years ago. As if the projectile vomiting weren't bad enough, afterward it felt like my guts were going to explode. I spent 3 days in bed, then limped in to work, where I promptly caught the flu. Shoulda stayed home!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I would say my worst was when I was in Kindergarden and had the chicken pox (common right ..not for me) I ended up suffering a light stroke .. was in the hosp for 6 weeks and when I came home, I had to learn how to walk all over again .. to me that was the worse ..

with the stroke I was paralyzed on my left side (couldn't sit up, stand, tell I had to pee .Nothing) and now that I am so over weight and have high b/p .. I fear a stroke again (this time with more damage) .. thats why I am here
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I had a sinus infection/walking pneumonia. Got it in September and have just started being able to work out and feel normal again in the last 2 weeks. It sucked :(
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    One summer I was spending time at my dads and I developed a cough. Not just any cough, but a "wake-me-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-feeling-broken-ribs" cough. It was HORRIBLE. I have no idea what brought it on but I couldn't sleep, I couldn't do anything in the day, I was miserable.

Three months later it went away. (After I assumed I had broken ribs.) And recently it seems as though that cough is coming back. *shudder*
  • KrayKira
    KrayKira Posts: 230
    Options
    I got Glandular fever during my year 11 end of year exams..
    I was so sick in and out of hospital for about 3 weeks and just in general felt realllllly crappy.
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say, the sickest I have ever been was when I was 17 and had traveled to Mexico. I was down in the middle of no where and traveling around in the mountains. And we were doing a lot of work. I got seriously dehydrated and I was sick for just about the rest of the trip. I had dropped 12 pounds while down there for 11 days.
    I was sick to the point that I didn't want to eat or drink anything. Also afraid it wouldn't stay down. I had to do what I could since there was no hospital for miles.
    But even during that time, I kept working. I loved being down there with everyone and would go again. But this time I know to drink more than I think I need to.
  • em3120
    em3120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Last year I had strep throat 6 times back to back. The doctor said one more time and I would have had to get them taken out and I was begging her to just do it then! I was sick from February to June with strep throat and constantly on antibiotics. It was crazy!
  • Toya2xcel
    Toya2xcel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I got the flu when I was 9 months pregnant.....was in the bed for 4 days straight. I felt HORRIBLE and thought I was gonna die! lol
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    5 years ago, I took a trip to Egypt and got a staph infection on my skin from an ingrown hair. I refused to go to the doctor because I didn't want to interrupt my vacation so I used some over the counter ointment and stuck a band aid on it. It got better, but then a couple weeks later, it came back in a different spot. I thought I'd just do the same thing. Ointment and band-aid. But it got worse, and worse, and finally I gave in and went to the doctor when the redness had spread to the size of my hand and it started oozing. I didn't realize how bad it was until they made me go to the hospital and I got admitted for massive doses of IV antibiotics. They said if I'd have waited another 5 days to a week, I might have died. The infection was eating away at my skin and fat and, luckily, it hadn't gotten into my bloodstream yet. Scary stuff.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Mono in high school. I had been mildly to moderately sick for weeks, seen the doctor several times, but they couldn't diagnose. So one day I'm at school and feeling *terrible* all day. Awful headache (but then I had migraines back then), pain in my neck (literally), and increasingly stiff neck, shoulders, and upper back. At the end of the day I'm out on the field for marching band practice and as I continue to stiffen up, I get where I can't take long enough steps to keep up with my rank, so I go sit down on the curb. One of the directors came to see what was going on. I explained and was apparently burning up with fever. He tried to send me to the band hall to call my parents, but I couldn't stand back up. My parents took me to the ER where they did a spinal tap. There a mono test finally came back positive, and I had picked up viral meningitis as a secondary infection since the mono had knocked my immune system so far down. Also got bronchitis. I was out of school for 4-6 weeks. I had crazy fever induced hallucinations, the room would spin and flip like an old TV... when I finally went back to school, people were shocked. It had been rumored that I died from the meningitis, apparently as a misunderstanding of something heard by the school nurse's daughter!

Yep, really sick, but at least not in the hospital.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I got the super flu last year and was in bed for three weeks. I nearly died. Literally. I became so dehydrated that my veins began collapsing. I was in the hospital for two days.

However...the sickest I've ever been is now. I have Lupus. So the bad days come and go. I've had a migraine for over a month. A few years back I had it for two years straight and it didn't matter what I did or what meds I took. It was always there. Even made me black out frequently.

The most important thing to do when you're sick is to get enough rest and drink plenty of fluids. Also make sure you're taking multivitamins while you're sick. You should technically always take them, but if you're not, start. For what you've got, you should do some echinacea and goldenseal too.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I have pneumonia & strep throat right now. I get bronchitis & strep annually and tough it out. I thought this was bronchitis but I was sadly mistaken and now I am quite ill. Netting under 500 calories beause I feel so sick no matter what I eat.

Or, when I went to Mexico and spent 36 hrs in my hotel room, involuntarily dehydrating myself in every way possible.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Age 6--measles. I remember my super high fever caused visual and auditory hallucinations. Won't ever forget that.

Age 28--gallstones during pregnancy. Waited a long time after delivery to have them removed (the old fashioned way and not the techniques used today). After surgery, I spent one day in the ICU that I don't remember much about followed by 9 more days in the hospital.

Age 50--MRSA in my face from getting smacked in the mouth while teaching gymnastics. I was spotting a girl on a backhandspring. It made my mouth bleed, which let bacteria in. Six weeks later, my face was at least twice its size, pus was oozing from outside my chin and inside my mouth in several places, and I had the worst headache I ever had in my life. Spent 8 days in isolation on strong IV antibiotics. That was no fun at all, especially when you're allergic to five antibiotics.

edited for spelling
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I had a pilonidal cyst and it was too small to operate on so I had to take antibiotics and just wait it out. It was about ten days before I could move without sharp pains shooting up my spine. On top of that I came down with probably the worst stomach flu I've ever had.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Cancer treatment.

Before that, flu and bronchitis when I was 29 or 30. It was so bad that I cracked two ribs. Be careful of that. If they gave you an inhaler, use it. I get bronchitis every time I get sick now, and it stinks.