Pepsi addict! Help!!

Options

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    It's ignorant and elementary in thought to think that just because something is low, or has no, calories, that it is better, or good for you.
    It's more ignorant and elementary to believe sources that say it's bad without actual proof that it's directly the cause. This is why there is peer reviewed clinical study. To separate facts from fiction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

SarahPalinShooting.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    How about a study by the University of Texas Health Science Center? Will that work for you guys?

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight
    This from the article:
    Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity.

"One possible part of the explanation is that people who see they are beginning to gain weight may be more likely to switch from regular to diet soda," Fowler suggests. "But despite their switching, their weight may continue to grow for other reasons. So diet soft-drink use is a marker for overweight and obesity."

Again google fu.

IDEA Fitness member
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    How about a study by the University of Texas Health Science Center? Will that work for you guys?

This from the article:
    Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity.

"One possible part of the explanation is that people who see they are beginning to gain weight may be more likely to switch from regular to diet soda," Fowler suggests. "But despite their switching, their weight may continue to grow for other reasons. So diet soft-drink use is a marker for overweight and obesity."

Again google fu.

IDEA Fitness member

Lol...citing the exact same article....If you made it past the first page...

Fowler points to a recent study in which feeding artificial sweeteners to rat pups made them crave more calories than animals fed real sugar.

"If you offer your body something that tastes like a lot of calories, but it isn't there, your body is alerted to the possibility that there is something there and it will search for the calories promised but not delivered," Fowler says.

Perhaps, Bonci says, our bodies are smarter than we think.

"People think they can just fool the body. But maybe the body isn't fooled," she says. "If you are not giving your body those calories you promised it, maybe your body will retaliate by wanting more calories. Some soft drink studies do suggest that diet drinks stimulate appetite."
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    A 2010 scientific review published in the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine (YJBM)5 discussed the neurobiology of sweet cravings and the unexpected effect of artificial sweeteners on appetite control. It cites several large scale prospective cohort studies that found positive correlations between artificial sweetener use and weight gain, which flies in the face of "conventional wisdom" to cut calories in order to lose weight

and

A featured study, published in the January 2013 issue of the journal Appetite2, was done by a Brazilian research team with the Faculty of Medicine of the Federal University do Rio Grande do Sul. Rats were fed plain yogurt sweetened with either aspartame, saccharin, or sugar, plus their regular rat chow, for 12 weeks. "Results showed that addition of either saccharin or aspartame to yogurt resulted in increased weight gain compared to addition of sucrose, however total caloric intake was similar among groups," the researchers write.3
  • sm1zzle
    Options

I debate this topic with a guy at work all the time.

" Another reason for aspartame's potential to cause weight gain is because phenylalanine and aspartic acid – the two amino acids that make up 90 percent of aspartame -- are known to rapidly stimulate the release of insulin and leptin; two hormones that are intricately involved with satiety and fat storage. Insulin and leptin are also the primary hormones that regulate your metabolism.

So although you're not consuming calories in the form of sugar, aspartame can still raise your insulin and leptin levels. Elevated insulin and leptin levels, in turn, are two of the driving forces behind obesity, diabetes, and a number of our current chronic disease epidemics. Over time, if your body is exposed to too much leptin, it will become resistant to it, just as your body can become resistant to insulin, and once that happens, your body can no longer "hear" the hormonal messages instructing your body to stop eating, burn fat, and maintain good sensitivity to sweet tastes in your taste buds.

What happens then?

You remain hungry; you crave sweets, and your body stores more fat. Leptin-resistance also causes an increase in visceral fat, sending you on a vicious cycle of hunger, fat storage and an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome and more.

Additionally, large doses of phenylalanine can lower important neurotransmitters like sero­tonin,11 which also influences satiety. Decreased serotonin levels reduce feelings of satiety, which can then lead to over-eating or binge eating. In the end, the research tells us that artificial sweeteners are nothing more than a pipe dream when it comes to being a dieter's aid, because contrary to what the marketing campaigns claim, low- or no-calorie artificial sweeteners are more likely to help you pack on the pounds than shed them. "
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    LOL at Huffington Post being the one source cited. Heh. Try Mayo Clinic or something next time. :)

Did you even read the article? I cited it because it links the studies.

:noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Lol, google-fu somehow overrides actual peer reviewed study.

Okay how about highlighting and quoting on the actual article stating that diet soda is worse than regular soda for weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

Lol, you asked for the SOURCE. I gave you it, which links to several. I'm sorry, do you want me to paraphrase everything for you to better understand?

And yes, just goes to show how readily available this information is. Like I said...it isn't news.
    No you didn't. You linked a source that YOU THOUGHT would address the question. No where in the article does it state that diet soda is worse than regular soda for weight loss.

Maybe taking time to read and understand the question asked would help.

IDEA Fitness member
  • SannyBea
    SannyBea Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I still drink pop regularly, but only because it is within my reach. Until I get my boyfriend to quit there will always be pop in my apartment. However there were stretches when I didn't have pop for weeks straight! I never felt better. You will too when you finally stop drinking it! :)

The "give things up" technique/ mentality never works for me. Instead I don't think of it as giving something up or reducing what I can have but in terms of drinking more of something or eating more of something. Like drinking more water instead of less pop, eating more carrots when I want crunchy snacks instead of fewer chips. More health less sadness!

Drink a few glasses of water before you drink a Pepsi. Increase the number of glasses of water you drink before you drink a Pepsi as the weeks go on and the number of Pepsi's you drink will decrease before you know it!
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    LOL at Huffington Post being the one source cited. Heh. Try Mayo Clinic or something next time. :)

Okay how about highlighting and quoting on the actual article stating that diet soda is worse than regular soda for weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

Lol, you asked for the SOURCE. I gave you it, which links to several. I'm sorry, do you want me to paraphrase everything for you to better understand?

And yes, just goes to show how readily available this information is. Like I said...it isn't news.
    No you didn't. You linked a source that YOU THOUGHT would address the question. No where in the article does it state that diet soda is worse than regular soda for weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm pretty sure I've said at least 3 times that the studies are LINKED in the article. No wonder you think everyone else is a "google-fu" because you apparently don't know how to accurately find information.
  • sm1zzle
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

This is what it says...

"In fact, when the researchers took a closer look at their data, they found that nearly all the obesity risk from soft drinks came from diet sodas."

Which to me says out of all soft drinks the greatest risk of obesity is from diet soft drinks.
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    There is also a study out that suggests that diet soda may lead to an almost 50% increased risk of stroke or heart attack.. if consumed everyday.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

This from the article:

Again google fu.

IDEA Fitness member

Lol...citing the exact same article....If you made it past the first page...

Fowler points to a recent study in which feeding artificial sweeteners to rat pups made them crave more calories than animals fed real sugar.

"If you offer your body something that tastes like a lot of calories, but it isn't there, your body is alerted to the possibility that there is something there and it will search for the calories promised but not delivered," Fowler says.

Perhaps, Bonci says, our bodies are smarter than we think.

"People think they can just fool the body. But maybe the body isn't fooled," she says. "If you are not giving your body those calories you promised it, maybe your body will retaliate by wanting more calories. Some soft drink studies do suggest that diet drinks stimulate appetite."
    Good thing we aren't RAT PUPS.:laugh:

You must not comprehend what the words "suggest" and "possibility" define. Here I'll help you:
    sug·gest
    transitive verb \səg-ˈjest, sə-ˈjest\
    Definition of SUGGEST
    a obsolete : to seek to influence : seduce
    b : to call forth : evoke
    c : to mention or imply as a possibility <suggested that he might bring his family>
    d : to propose as desirable or fitting <suggest a stroll>
    e : to offer for consideration or as a hypothesis <suggest a solution to a problem>
    a : to call to mind by thought or association <the explosion…suggested sabotage — F. L. Paxson>
    b : to serve as a motive or inspiration for <a play suggested by a historic incident>

pos·si·bil·i·ty
    noun \ˌpä-sə-ˈbi-lə-tē\
    plural pos·si·bil·i·ties
    Definition of POSSIBILITY
    : the condition or fact of being possible
    archaic : one's utmost power, capacity, or ability
    : something that is possible
    : potential or prospective value —usually used in plural <the house had great possibilities>
    See possibility defined for English-language learners »
    See possibility defined for kids »

Now definitive:1de·fin·i·tive
    adjective \di-ˈfi-nə-tiv\
    Definition of DEFINITIVE
    : serving to provide a final solution or to end a situation <a definitive victory>
    : authoritative and apparently exhaustive <a definitive edition>
    a : serving to define or specify precisely <definitive laws>
    b : serving as a perfect example : quintessential <a definitive bourgeois>
    : fully differentiated or developed <a definitive organ>
    of a postage stamp : issued as a regular stamp for the country or territory in which it is to be used

So is there definitive proof? Nope. Try again.

IDEA Fitness member
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    There is also a study out that suggests that diet soda may lead to an almost 50% increased risk of stroke or heart attack.. if consumed everyday.

Yepp. Pretty sure that is another study that is linked in the "incredible" Huffington Post source I cited. Therefore I guess the University of Texas Health Sciences is incredible too because that was linked as well... Hmm, oh well. Just looks like people are either afraid of the truth or are totally incapable of learning and accepting new things to broaden their minds and bodies. We've cited several credible sources, but they still refuse to open their eyes. Whatchya gonna do. You know what they say "don't argue with an idiot, because onlookers can't tell who's who". With that, I say goodnight:)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Wow, do you have ADD or something? I'm pretty sure I've said at least 3 times that the studies are LINKED in the article. No wonder you think everyone else is a "google-fu" because you apparently don't know how to accurately find information.
    The rise in world climate is also "linked" to the rise in population of pirates.:laugh:
    Thanks for the laugh today.

When you actually come up with something credible to read post it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • patrios80
    Options
    I, too, had been a Pepsi addict for years. I knew from prior experience that I couldn't quit cold turkey due to the headaches from withdrawl. I would still allow myself 6 oz. of Pepsi a day but I would also drink Mt. Dew or Dr. Pepper, drink with caffeine that I didn't like. I would still avoid headaches without mindless drinking. Now I am totally off the "crack" as my Gastroenterologist husband calls it!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

This is what it says...

"In fact, when the researchers took a closer look at their data, they found that nearly all the obesity risk from soft drinks came from diet sodas."

Which to me says out of all soft drinks the greatest risk of obesity is from diet soft drinks.
    But says nothing on weight loss being worse with diet drinks compared to regular drinks which was the question at hand.
    There are many factors to obesity besides the link to diet soda. You CAN'T gain weight from ZERO CALORIES. Does it cause cravings for some? Possibly, but drinking a zero calorie drink isn't what's making one fat compared to a regular drink which has about 120 calories per can.
    If you drank 2 cans of diet soda at zero calories and 2 cans of regular soda at 120 calories, it's pretty obvious that the regular soda will be higher in total calories.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Let's see it because I'd like to read it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • SaintBock
    Options
    Like others have said, definitely try something like Coke Zero or Pepsi Max, if you can not quit soda. It works very well for weight loss, as it has 0 calories. No one's trying to argue that it is GOOD for you, but regular soda isn't either. So I'd say try switching to that at first, and then slowly start drinking less and less of it, until you're only having it when you have major cravings.

I don't feel bad for drinking my Coke Zero, because at least I don't eat cookies, cake and that kind of thing anymore. So at least I've dropped a lot of unhealthy foods.
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    Let's see it because I'd like to read it.

IDEA Fitness member

http://www.miami.edu/index.php/news/releases/study_finds_possible_link_between_diet_soda_and_vascular_risks/
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Yepp. Pretty sure that is another study that is linked in the "incredible" Huffington Post source I cited. Therefore I guess the University of Texas Health Sciences is incredible too because that was linked as well... Hmm, oh well. Just looks like people are either afraid of the truth or are totally incapable of learning and accepting new things to broaden their minds and bodies. We've cited several credible sources, but they still refuse to open their eyes. Whatchya gonna do. You know what they say "don't argue with an idiot, because onlookers can't tell who's who". With that, I say goodnight:)
    Lol, hopefully you aren't going to be a lawyer. Defining what's actual fact and possibility may get a client hung.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    But says nothing on weight loss being worse with diet drinks compared to regular drinks which was the question at hand.
    There are many factors to obesity besides the link to diet soda. You CAN'T gain weight from ZERO CALORIES. Does it cause cravings for some? Possibly, but drinking a zero calorie drink isn't what's making one fat compared to a regular drink which has about 120 calories per can.
    If you drank 2 cans of diet soda at zero calories and 2 cans of regular soda at 120 calories, it's pretty obvious that the regular soda will be higher in total calories.

IDEA Fitness member

If losing weight is battling obesity... and diet soda adds to obesity more than regular soda... I take that as diet soda is worse.
    That's just my personal opinion.