Sickest you've ever been

Options

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I had pneumonia two years ago next week. It took weeks to really feel back to normal, even though the medications started helping pretty quickly. I felt so totally wrung out...exhausted and sad. Horrible.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Meningitis and Encephalitis when I was 4 years old. I was quarentined in the hospital for 5 weeks, spinal taps each week. I was supposed to die or be brain damaged. Instead, I'm fine and I have a kick-*kitten* immune system.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I had scarlet fever in college, which is weird because I thought only little kids got it. I thought it was just strep but it was diagnosed otherwise. I was an idiot for letting it get that bad. I missed the entire first week of classes that semester. When I finally went to the student health center they gave me heavy steroids and antibiotics and I was 90% better by the end of the day. Dumb.

I've actually been pretty lucky health-wise. Strong like bull!
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    It was actually early October 2012. I had some ravioli and it gave me food poisoning. I threw up 17 times that night before my mom came into my room and told me that we had to go to the hospital. My mom had to help me with every step because I was so sick I couldn't even walk. Then I threw up like 3 friggin' more times in the waiting room until the doctor finally saw me! It's hard to describe how I felt that night because it wasn't painful, but it was definitely the most miserable experience of my life.

Other than that, I can't think of anything major.
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I had a pilonidal cyst and it was too small to operate on so I had to take antibiotics and just wait it out. It was about ten days before I could move without sharp pains shooting up my spine. On top of that I came down with probably the worst stomach flu I've ever had.
    Ouch! I used to work in the ER and we'd help excise some of those. That's a special spot!

All of those with DKA, stroke and meningitis- you win! Glad you're doing well now!
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    I have Lupus and have been essentially sick more than I've been well for the past few years. It sucks...
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I just got over the flu. Im not 100% yet but I feel soo much better. I haven't been this sick in yrs. It was awful.:cry:
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    When I was 11 I somehow got salmonella poisoning during Christmas break. I don't really remember most of it now, just that it was really horrible and I missed most of school in January.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm sick with bronchitis and a sinus infection for like a week now...

What's the sickest you've ever been and how long were you out of comission for ?

I feel so bad for for; getting over a cold and sinusitis and it sucked. I was sick for 9 days straight. Hope you get well soon
  • Sharkington
    Options
    hmm - not sure if you'd count this as "being sick", but when I was 17, I had a really bad allergic reaction to a medication that left me unable to move much for about a week. I couldn't really walk or bend any of my joints due to severe swelling and pain. Other than that, I have been sick with the flu that left me puking green (on top of horrible diarrhea at the same time).So yeah, I'd say those two times were the worst.
  • emilykg12
    emilykg12 Posts: 119
    Options
    FOOD POISONING. I've never been more miserable. The sad part: I waited in line at Wendy's (ew) for about an hour for chili and a frosty, and that's what did me in. I was moving, driving from Chicago to Montana, and this meant four nights in a shady hotel in the middle of nowhere so I could just be ... sick. It was awful.
  • breesasha
    breesasha Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This past May I came down with gastritis from using motrin without eating and I was sick, with vomiting and severe back and abdominal pain for 2 weeks during the end of my semester. I was barely able to pull myself together. Thankfully I was recovered before finals week.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    A cyst ruptured and like an idiot I tried to fight through the pain. I ended up in the hospital for six days once my mother found me on the floor sobbing.
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I get strep throat every year (knock on wood, I've avoided it this year), and it knocks me on my *kitten* hard. Usually have to get a second round of antibiotics because the first doesn't work. It puts me in bed for at least 2 days, and after that I drag around for another few days, only getting out of bed due to guilt. As miserable as that is, I think the sickest I ever remember being was when I had the flu while I was pregnant. The flu is crappy enough as it is, 10x worse when you can't take anything but Tylenol for the 102 fever, aches, and upset stomach. That said, I'm usually pretty fortunate in that I don't pick up a lot of the bugs brought home from school. Once or twice a year when I do get sick, it's the "just kill me now" kind of sick.

I hope you're feeling better soon!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Got the flu when I was 15 and didn't keep anything down for about 4 days. Worst illness I think I had.

Got strep throat in my early twenties. Before the antibiotics kicked in I slept for 18 hrs straight and my ex called my mom (a nurse) because he was starting to worry I might not wake up. But the next day I started to show improvement.

When I was 28 I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed. The roots had been wrapped around my lower jaw and had to broken up, I was in such pain and the swelling made breathing difficult. I had swallowed a lot of blood during the procedure and threw up blood all over the floor at the grocery store when I was getting my Rx filled. I was so humiliated I wouldn't go back in there for 6 mos. To make matters worse I couldn't keep down the pain meds. It was horrid. Couldn't eat anything solid for 2 wks.

Got an abcess almost 10 yrs ago. Infection spread to my bloodstream and I had to be on very strong antibiotics. I had a fever of 104.5 and I was hallucinating and incoherent. The day I got sick I was sent home from work and I disappeared for an hour even though I only worked 15 mins away. I still dont know how I made it home. My mom took me straight to the ER because I was so out of it.

2 years ago I had ingested walnuts and went into anaphylactic shock. Lucky I didn't die. You couldn't recognize my face from the swelling and hives. Same with the bee sting I had at age 10. Allergies are no joke.

A yr ago I had stomach ulcers and the pain made me think I might be having a heart attack. Ulcers sure do heal slowly. I was on an ulcer diet and meds for months.
  • jess393
    jess393 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm a relatively healthy person usually, usually end up with a cold or two a year and that's it! However, a coupla years ago, I thought I had a massive flu bug- was puking up everything, even water didn't stay down. So after a few days of that, I go to the walk in clinic, and half the hospital slapped on face masks like I was the outbreak monkey, hahaha... I had meningitis! EVERYTHING hurt. Was in the hospital a while, ick. So glad I recovered from that.
  • bloodysore
    bloodysore Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had a really bad case of mono at about 16. It went into my liver and gave me hepatitis (in that it was a liver infection) and some weird clotting thing (dic?) where they had to keep my room really warm and I had to wear socks on my hands. It was pretty touch and go for a few days. I had a fever around 105. I was in the hospital for a week and out of school for about two months.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I had mono for 10 months. I was hooked up to an I.V weekly, could barely get out of bed, and was terribly depressed. Still suffer for chronic fatigue from it!
  • _Thanatos_
    Options
    Hmm, had pneumonia once. That wasn't fun.
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Food poisoning from bad chinese food at work during a blizzard. Couldn't go home or to a store to get some remedies.