What diets have worked best for you?

Options

Replies

• SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When I ate according to The Breast Cancer Prevention diet, I was never hungry and always thin.
  • ChunkieNuts
    ChunkieNuts Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I tried a lot of diets..but none worked for me.

The only thing that has worked has been changing my lifestyle and educating myself about health and fitness. Logging all my food in MFP, really teaching myself about portions, finding ways to control my overeating and emotional/stress/bored eating, watching my macros, exercising and re-training myself in how I think. Doing all this has helped me not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.

This is exactly myself as well!! Took me many years to realize I could not be on a "diet", though had to change my lifestyle.

yes ^^ the best thing i did was STOP DIETING and boom i lost around 28pounds as i stopped fretting about being on a bloody diet and ate good healthy food
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Keeping my calories around 1200 and my carb grams around 30 (getting most of them from veggies except for potatoes). I avoid white flour, rice, pasta... basically anything white. I am not a fan of pasta anyway.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    FLU DIET!! or TUMMY BUG DIET!

works a treat, no help needed :happy: :bigsmile:

i lost 3kgs awhile back as i had such a bad flu. was knocked out for two weeks. and a few weeks later i was sick again. never put the weight back on :smile:

anyone want to give me a strain of their tummy bug? :happy:
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    portion control, eat what you want just don't eat too much of it and track it even if its ugly.
  • lilpix99
    lilpix99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The 17 day worked for me then the holidays came and I fell off track. Now starting back on cycle 1 this week.
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    the best for me has been counting calories, keeping protein and fat pretty high and aim for a target only 500 calories under what I burned that day, even if it means eating 2 big tbsp of peanut butter w cinnamon before bed to get up to my requirements. Also weight lifting...this helps me eat more, look way better at a higher weight, etc.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    As far as any "plan" goes, I generally find the macro suggestions on MFP, combined with the calorie guidelines, are good enough. It keeps your calories sensible and makes sure you're not too far off balance.

A big problem I had with diet plans is the restrictiveness. In college, I tried one in order to make weight, and the plan had one meal where it was basically spinach and 2 glasses of tomato juice (which I REALLY don't like). Then, years later, I was on medication that required me to avoid certain foods. The first was obnoxious because the foods seemed so random. The second was a pain because I was always worrying if I could eat a given item. I find that focusing on the calories and being aware of the macros offers the most flexibility for me, which is important.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    None.

Learning to change what and how much I eat is the only thing that has helped me lose weight, keep most of it off when I slip up and is easy to get back to doing.
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    Diets never worked for me. Balance and moderation along with exercise has been the only way I have been able to lose and keep it off. It is definately more about finding something you can stick with (a lifestyle change).
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    The eating your vegetables and lean protein and healthy fats/keeping to your macros/planning and cooking your own meals/logging honestly and strength training diet!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    None.. I eat what I want, when I want it... and call it a day.

I haven't been logging in months and lost another two pounds.. and wasn't even planning on it!
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Low carb is the only thing that has truely ever worked for me. I'm not hungry and it took away the sweet cravings. Reading Atkins New Diet Revolution explains why. It has to be a life style that you can choose, not just a short time fix. I don't feel deprived and can honestly say I'm not hungry. That and exercise.
  • leahscarborough
    Options
    If you're looking for a healthy diet with specific guidelines and is easy to follow, I'd recommend the DASH diet. It's recommended by the American Heart Association.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the eat what you want but stick to your calorie diet. It's easy once you learn how much is too much.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Low carb with lots of lean protein is the only way that helped my pre diabetic body.

I used a program that involved medically formulated prepackaged meals, but I also had to cook one meal on my own. I lost 19 lbs in 2 weeks, 40 lbs in 8 weeks and 105 lbs in 10 months.

I have been maintaining for about 18 months now.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple. What worked for me thus far has been to eating healthy as possible. Add in as much fresh vegetables and fruits each day, cut down fruit juices, soda and add in water and start moving each and every day from easy things like walking to running and other workout videos online.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    None.. I eat what I want, when I want it... and call it a day.

I haven't been logging in months and lost another two pounds.. and wasn't even planning on it!
    <<<jealous! :devil:
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you have to lose Lipotrim is a great start to fat loss. I lost 80 - 85 lbs on it. Low carb beats low fat every time :)

Lipotrim...*headdesk*
  • jenbenefit
    jenbenefit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I dont think there is one miracle cure of diet for all.. to be perfectly honest a lot of diets are very very similar. They all want you to reduce your calorie intake, and most want you to reduce your carbs, drink more water,and exercise more. NONE of them would work without motivation and determination. You can't expect the diet to do all the work for you.

Diets which don't recommend exercise can leave you "skinny-fat" - you lose weight but have no tone to your body, so you weigh less but don't have that killer figure you're after.

Best advice i can give you is drink loaaads of water. I carry around a sports bottle with me wherever I am so I have no excuses!
    fruits and veg can be surprisingly filling, I always opted for a slice of toast of cheese (God i love cheese) for a snack and used to think "a salad won't fill me up"but it does!

I never tell myself not to have anything, it's more about being aware of the consequences of what you eat, so yes, you can eat that massive burger but what will you gain from it ? < that mental mindset has helped me the most I think.

Also before I started I was shocked as just how much Carbs I was eating and not realising so it might be worth thinking about reducing your carb intake and trying to include more healthy protein, which is always good if you're working out, too.

Good luck on your journey!