Cutting Sugar Out! Help Please

Options

Replies

• bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    why cut out sugar? all starchy carbohydrates break down into glucose in your system anyway. Sugar is just another source of energy.
  • kerryoneill22
    kerryoneill22 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oh okay. I must not know what I am talking about. I will send back my degrees. Good day.

I never said that you did not know what you were talking about,
  • GoldenShah
    GoldenShah Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are taking a good vitamin supplement as well as a chromium supplement. To help stabilise your blood sugar, make sure you have a light snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon. I found having half a protein bar worked the best as it keeps you full and staves off any sugar cravings. Finally if you are craving something sweet, try eating an apple or having a diluted fruit juice. These little tips all helped me and I was finally able to start losing weight! Best of luck!
  • kerryoneill22
    Options
    Make sure you are taking a good vitamin supplement as well as a chromium supplement. To help stabilise your blood sugar, make sure you have a light snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon. I found having half a protein bar worked the best as it keeps you full and staves off any sugar cravings. Finally if you are craving something sweet, try eating an apple or having a diluted fruit juice. These little tips all helped me and I was finally able to start losing weight! Best of luck!

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have been logging my food, I just slacked a bit over christmas but up until the 21st I was logging everyday., but as you will se it is not the best diet going, fruit and veg are not my best friends.

What do you mean that fruit and veggies are not your friends? Do you have a G.I. disorder? Or you just don't like the taste or what?
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Remember that sugar from fruit and white sugar has the same effect on blood glucose (which is what you want to control). Your body doesn't know the difference.

A common misconception. If you took the sugar from fruit (fructose) and ate 50g of it, yes it would have the same effect on your blood glucose as 50g of white sugar does. But the amounts of sugars in fruit are so small per serving size that you would have to eat a massive amount of fruit to get that much sugar. I am diabetic, and a reasonable amount of fruit (a cup of sliced strawberries or cut pineapple, for instance) has very little impact on my readings.

Fruit has a high glycemic index (the number that compares the effect on blood glucose levels of a specified number of grams of carbohydrates in a food to the effect of the same number of grams of white sugar) but a low glycemic load (the number that compares the effect on blood glucose levels of a NORMAL SERVING SIZE of a food to the effect of a serving size of white sugar).

The difference is important. I bought the Low Glycemic Index Diet for Dummies and the Low Glycemic Cookbook for Dummies, and when I modified my eating around low glycemic choices, even though my actual calorie intake hadn't changed the weight started coming off again. I've lost 6.6 pounds this month in spite of Christmas indulgences. Best of all, after only three months of eating low glycemic, I've been able to discontinue one of my oral meds for diabetes, my blood sugar is in normal range (not diabetic range!) and I expect to discontinue the other med within the next month or so, and all my other lab results that were too high or low (including cholesterol, triglycerides, a kidney function indicator, and several other tests) are all well within normal range now.

A key part of this for me has been being able to enjoy fruit! I crave sweet things just like anyone else, and having healthy options that are sweet helps immensely. Another key moment was when I discovered to my surprise that lowfat frozen yogurt spiked my blood sugar way too high. Then I got to a part of the book that mentioned that regular, full-fat ice cream is low glycemic. Its higher protein and fat content slows down sugar absorption. I now enjoy a half cup or a cup of ice cream several times a week -- I just keep it within my calorie budget, for example by eating a lot of veggies earlier in the day so I'm full enough that the amount of ice cream I can have is satisfying.

Learning how to enjoy the things you enjoy in a way that doesn't derail your goals is how to make this a lifestyle change instead of a diet.
  • kerryoneill22
    Options
    I have been logging my food, I just slacked a bit over christmas but up until the 21st I was logging everyday., but as you will se it is not the best diet going, fruit and veg are not my best friends.

What do you mean that fruit and veggies are not your friends? Do you have a G.I. disorder? Or you just don't like the taste or what?

I just don't like the taste to be honest.
  • JasonsSoulMate
    JasonsSoulMate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think you know what is good and what isn't, sugarwise. Clearly fudge is on the naughty list (bloody love it tho!!) but fruit is good.

I am finding the only thing which really helps is water. Also toothpaste. I have taken to brushing my teeth when I feel snacky

Yeah I want to try and make myself drink more water/squash because just water is horrible, but brushing my teeth could be a good one when I want a snack, because that happens mostly in the evenings, good thought!:wink:
    If you're finding water hard to choke down all day, add some lemon slices or juice to it, but don't chuck in the sugar with it. If you put water and lemon (and even mint) in a jug and leave it in the fridge or bottle it up after an overnight stay in the fridge, you'll find the water goes down a lot easier. Also there is nothing like have a HUGE bottle of water with you while you exercise, it just becomes habit to drink it. A trick I use (and it works for me as a teacher, but a similar strategy could be used in any job) is that at the start of every lesson one of my students goes and fills my 500mL water bottle for me. You could do a similar thing with every trip you take to the bathroom or something like that. OR take that water bottle/s to work that you have made up with mint and or lemon juice. Good luck, sugar is not something that is easy to reduce in your diet if you have had it as a main food group for a while. But remember it only takes 21 days to make a new habit - even less if you focus on it!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have tried and tried to cut sugar out, but I seem to find that when I try to reduce I start shaking as though I need the sugar asap, and that is after 1 day, I am not sure that because I am trying to change my diet so quickly from eating rubbish to, eating as healthy as I can for me, as I don't eat much fruit or veg, I am not really sure what to do.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Your body needs energy on which to operate--if your blood sugar goes too low, you will shake. Now, the next thing to determine is why your blood sugar level might be low. If you are used to eating a lot of sugar and other simple carbohydrates (and thus, running habitually high blood sugar levels) your insulin levels will also rise over time. If you suddenly pull that sugar away, your insulin levels will still stay high for as much as two weeks (typical) or even more, and your blood sugar levels will plummet--especially between meals (and the effect is exacerbated after taking in caffeine and nicotine).

If you are following a lower carb--no sugar plan, you cannot, at the same time, go on a low-fat plan. You must eat a bit more fat than is called for in the typical macros here if you are going with a lower-carb plan (and I'm only talking about reducing your carbs to around 100 grams per day--or 200 on heavy workout days). You must eat more fat than is called for in your macros (but stay within your calorie allotment---not hard to do). Just make sure that the fat increase is not all animal fat (although organic butter is a good fat because of the many benefits that it provides--things like vitamins A and K2 and substances like buytyric acid). You should plan to get some increased "good" fat from things like avocados, nuts and olives. I regularly go over in my fat allotment (but I stay under my calorie allotment because I am consistently at only about 1/3 to 1/2 of my carbohydrate allowance) and I'm still losing body fat. (It should be noted at this point that if you go too far under your carbohydrate allowance---60 grams or less---you will ultimately lose muscle mass over time because you need some carbohydrates to "spare" your muscles). That is why I like the term "lower carbohydrate" rather than "low carbohydrate".

Despite what you have been told, we have not suddenly (over the last few decades) become a nation of obese people because we eat much more fat than our slender ancestors (who ate a lot of fat). We have only increased our fat intake by about 1%. However, our total calorie consumption has increased a lot, and carbohydrates---particularly sugar--has been responsible for almost all of the increase. When one combines this type of diet with our generally more sedentary habits (our ancestors typically walked five miles a day) is it any wonder that obesity (and consequent Type II diabetes) is a major health problem in this nation? And the "low-fat" craze has only made the problem worse because the fat was replaced with sugar and other simple carbs in the "fat-free" versions of foods. Because of the metabolic derangement caused by eating sugar and other simple carbs (and a great deal of research has been done on the metabolic problems set off by sugar/simple carb diets---especially in the absence of vigorous exercise), we cannot control our appetites. That is why you see ridiculous amounts of food practically pushed on restaurant customers. Our national appetite and waistband has been expanded because of sugar and simple carbs. Sorry for the rant, I've probably given you much more information than you wanted to know. :blushing:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Remember that sugar from fruit and white sugar has the same effect on blood glucose (which is what you want to control). Your body doesn't know the difference.

A common misconception. If you took the sugar from fruit (fructose) and ate 50g of it, yes it would have the same effect on your blood glucose as 50g of white sugar does. But the amounts of sugars in fruit are so small per serving size that you would have to eat a massive amount of fruit to get that much sugar. I am diabetic, and a reasonable amount of fruit (a cup of sliced strawberries or cut pineapple, for instance) has very little impact on my readings.

Fruit has a high glycemic index (the number that compares the effect on blood glucose levels of a specified number of grams of carbohydrates in a food to the effect of the same number of grams of white sugar) but a low glycemic load (the number that compares the effect on blood glucose levels of a NORMAL SERVING SIZE of a food to the effect of a serving size of white sugar).

The difference is important. I bought the Low Glycemic Index Diet for Dummies and the Low Glycemic Cookbook for Dummies, and when I modified my eating around low glycemic choices, even though my actual calorie intake hadn't changed the weight started coming off again. I've lost 6.6 pounds this month in spite of Christmas indulgences. Best of all, after only three months of eating low glycemic, I've been able to discontinue one of my oral meds for diabetes, my blood sugar is in normal range (not diabetic range!) and I expect to discontinue the other med within the next month or so, and all my other lab results that were too high or low (including cholesterol, triglycerides, a kidney function indicator, and several other tests) are all well within normal range now.

A key part of this for me has been being able to enjoy fruit! I crave sweet things just like anyone else, and having healthy options that are sweet helps immensely. Another key moment was when I discovered to my surprise that lowfat frozen yogurt spiked my blood sugar way too high. Then I got to a part of the book that mentioned that regular, full-fat ice cream is low glycemic. Its higher protein and fat content slows down sugar absorption. I now enjoy a half cup or a cup of ice cream several times a week -- I just keep it within my calorie budget, for example by eating a lot of veggies earlier in the day so I'm full enough that the amount of ice cream I can have is satisfying.

Learning how to enjoy the things you enjoy in a way that doesn't derail your goals is how to make this a lifestyle change instead of a diet.

That is fantastic that you have been able to take control of your health! Hats off to you--knowledge is power, Keep on keepin' on. :flowerforyou: I
  • theycallmegirl
    Options
    Same problem here.. I got very sick so I had to eat something with sugar and I ended up over indulging. I can't give it up I am an addict. I just made my breakfast entry and I can't believe how much calories I put in my coffee by adding sugar. My plan is to slowly put less in my coffee each day. I don't want to give up anything on my diet, if I want it I will eat it, but I am trying to eat less so I don't end up cheating and giving up, like I always do. Try things slowly like I am and track everything you put in your mouth
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    things I have given up without a seconds thought and haven't missed..

Cigarettes after a 10 yr 30 a day habit
    Alcohol
    Several recreational drugs which turned into daily habits - cannabis and speed being the main.. not proud but its a fact.

Can I give up sugar this easy... not a chance! Seriously, it is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do :(

gonna have to call bull$hit on this one

sugar is not more addictive than nicotine or speed

you are deluding yourself into an excuse

On the contrary, lab rat experiments show that sugar is VERY addictive. Can you quit it? Of course. Is it easy? No. But it must be done to enhance one's health. Most of us simply cannot afford to consume the empty calories that sugar represents---very few of us are marathon runners.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Why are you cutting sugar out?!!!

Maybe cutting out "added" sugars would be something to look at if you are that concerned, but sugars that come from fruits and veggies are perfectly fine. Plus, the benefits from eating fruit and veggies out-weigh the silly notion that sugar is horrible!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    FYI: I went cold turkey on refined sugars (but still ate fruit and carbs). It took about 5 days for my withdrawal to subside. Just wanted to give you that information in case you experience it.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I repeat anything that has already been said...

...I am assuming you're cutting out "white" sugar. This took me a LONG time to do, and sometimes I still slip up and then I crave those refined carbs. For me, what has helped before and what still helps while getting back on track is to make sure you're still eating some fruit and other foods that are low on the glycemic index. I usually have one or two fruits a day (max) and then at dinner I'll have half a sweet potato. After a few days of that, I tend not to get those cravings for cookies and cakes. I must say though that it took a LONG TIME (maybe a couple months, but I had a lot of slip ups) for me to no longer be tempted by that picture of a cupcake on the ads on the side of mfp (does anyone else get that cupcake picture? haha), but stick with it. It will be worth it in the end!!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Same problem here.. I got very sick so I had to eat something with sugar and I ended up over indulging. I can't give it up I am an addict. I just made my breakfast entry and I can't believe how much calories I put in my coffee by adding sugar. My plan is to slowly put less in my coffee each day. I don't want to give up anything on my diet, if I want it I will eat it, but I am trying to eat less so I don't end up cheating and giving up, like I always do. Try things slowly like I am and track everything you put in your mouth

As a suggestion, you might try a fast from fructose (no fruit either) for a couple of weeks to lower your levels of fructokinase (the enzyme our bodies use to assimilate fructose). New research is bringing understanding on how sugar damages the body. One of the problems of taking in a lot of table sugar (sucrose is the other name for it) is that it is 50% fructose and fructose in large amounts causes a derangement in metabolic processes. The relatively small amounts of fructose in a serving or two of fruit per day will not challenge the ability of the body to handle it but sugar consumption is a major challenge. A small orange has a little over 2 grams of fructose--a twelve ounce can of soda has about 27 grams of fructose (44 grams of sugar in total). Once your fructokinase levels drop, your cravings for sugar will disappear and you can go back to eating a serving or two of fruit every day. But if you go back to eating any kind of sugar in amounts over 25 grams of fructose per day, you risk getting the Sugar Monster on your back again.

I am currently on a two week fast from fructose and I cannot believe how much more energy I have! (It has to do with the production of ATP---adenosine triphosphate--for those of you who are into the bio-chemistry of sugar metabolism.) I look forward to eating a serving or two of fruit next week but I will NEVER eat sugar again (and I used to be a sugar/simple carb addict).
  • alinakaras
    alinakaras Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it - it's tough, but it's manageable! Google Sarah Wilson, she developed 'I Quit Sugar' plan, which I found really useful. Start reading about the effects of sugar - also google David Gillespie. Once you realise how harmful it is, you will find it easier to quit eating sweets and chocolate!

I cut out sugar for 6 weeks - and I managed, although the first days were quite hard. I then fell off the wagon (trip to NYC, Christmas parties and Christmas itself) but I honestly don't like sugar as much as I used to - I don't find it pleasant any more! And we eat it because it's an automatic thoughtless act!

Good luck! Feel free to add me, if you want support! I am planning to quite sugar again (and this time for good!) in the next coming days.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    why cut out sugar? all starchy carbohydrates break down into glucose in your system anyway. Sugar is just another source of energy.

New research is showing just how damaging is the consumption of table sugar (sucrose). Natural sugars found in fruits and vegetables are not the problem. But the empty calories of "added" sugars are a real problem for most everyone. High performance athletes can likely get along with a bit of added sugar but most of us are not in that category.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Mmm...no. While it is true that the same amount of fructose in fruit and an equivalent amount in the "deadly white powder" has the same effect, in practical terms, we generally eat a LOT more fructose in the form of table sugar in one sitting, than we would eat in a serving of fruit. The small amount of fructose in most fruit is not even close to the amount of fructose (sucrose is 50% fructose) contained in a large piece of "triple deluxe chocolate" cake. Dried fruit is a bit higher in fructose because the fructose becomes concentrated when you remove the water. It isn't that there is more fructose in a raisin than the grape that it was made from--it's just that you might eat only 10 grapes and yet eat 20 raisins because of the decrease in volume that occurs because of the removal of the water. You have to adjust by eating less of dried fruit.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Just curious, why are you cutting out sugar? Unless it's for health reasons, then maybe you should just try to cut down instead of totally cut it out.