Appetite suppressants

Options

Replies

• yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Knitting. And gardening. Basically anything where your hands are occupied and it would be interrupting to go eat something. At least, that helps with boredom eating. If you're really, truly, hungry, it could be that you're not eating enough.

I would explore the natural avenues people here have suggested before going with pills. Many people who had a bad diet before find that a higher fiber diet really helps with the appetite. As you get used to it, the effect diminishes somewhat, but by then you might be more used to the lower calories.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...and you should work on finding what is right for you. It will take awhile (heck I'm still figuring it out after years of yo-yoing), but it is worth it...
    And relying on appetite suppressants is a big cause of yo-yo dieting. People use them until they get to their goal weight, then as soon as they stop, all their old eating habits come back with a vengeance and they gain it right back. Another bout of appetite suppressants with the same results, and so on.

The way to do it right is to learn to exercise self-discipline, portion control, and what foods are nutritious and satiating without packing huge calorie hits. It doesn't mean giving *anything* up - it just means eating some things in moderation while eating more of other things that are still nutritious, but not so calorie-dense. There's no magic to it and there's no magic pill or potion that will help anybody if they're not willing to put forth the effort. People aren't being "rude" and "snarky" by telling the truth, unless "rude" and "snarky" means telling somebody something they just don't want to hear.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    There isn't a magic pill that will last and make this work for you. But, there are tricks among the posts if you take the time to read them and be open to them. Good carbs (e.g. whole wheat, brown rice, etc.) have a lower glycemic index. They don't spike your blood sugar and they take longer to break down so you stay sated longer after eating them. Good fiber and high protein foods have a similar effect. You need to eat healthy food choices that last longer and that you can eat more of to get full without having high calories. Folks don't want to hear "eat a big salad", but it's really hard to overdo calories from lettuce. Just go easy on the dressing. It also does help to drink a lot of water... and by a lot, I'm talking 12 to 15 glasses a day, not just a few. Avoid too many artificial sweeteners and diet sodas, there is a chemical reaction in the brain that can trigger a hunger sensation. The only thing pill-wise that I've found can help... and it's not an appetite suppressant, but it makes you feel fuller... is glucomannan. That is a fiber made from konjac root. It is not long lasting and to be effective, you have to take a large dose of it and drink a TON of water with it. The water makes the fiber swell up and take up space in your stomach. It is short-lived and wears off quickly, but sometimes can help you eat a little less. If you don't chug a few glasses of water with it, it probably won't fill you at all. Finally, again with the brain chemistry, exercise really does help because of the release of endorphins etc. Hope this helps you.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Mega T Green Tea is okay, it kind of made me grumpy and gave me a headache, but then again, they all do. :ohwell:
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    There are natural supplements that can help suppress appetite. Like Green Coffee Bean Extract and Saffron Extract.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I also suggest working on why...you have an issue with controlling your appetite to the point where you feel the need to suppress it. Are you an emotional eater, are you a stress eater, do you have issues with gluttony, what is it. Until you figure that out you'll be stuck, because no pill in the world will stop your mental hunger.
  • luvs2read1979
    luvs2read1979 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm taking phentermine and it is helping - in conjunction with not eating sweets, white bread, potatoes, or fried foods. I've been taking it for about 2 months and had lost 16 lbs before giving them a try. I don't know if they suppress my appetite or speed up my metabolism, but I do have more energy. The doctor I go to gives you a lot of good information.

I also eat more protein and less carbohydrates than mfp recommends and eat every 3-4 hours, sometimes I'll have a snack after 2 hours if I'm hungry.

Also drinking a full glass of water before eating really helps...hydrates you and keeps you from overeating because you feel full, which gives your brain time to register that your tummy is full. It's about learning what works for you. Good luck!
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yup, exercise. Exercise that interests you - so for me, long walks, or swimming, or anything like windsurfing - is better than exercise that doesn't, because it distracts your brain as well as getting your muscles working.

This seems to work better for cravings than for genuine hunger. If you're truly hungry, you should probably eat. Nothing good is going to come out of using appetite suppressants to stop you eating regular meals. But if you're wanting something to help with those evenings when you're home alone and thinking, "Man, I really want a ginormous ice cream sundae / McDonalds Big Mac / family-size bag of chips" and you don't have any calories left on your day's plan, then try taking a walk. I do that a lot. Usually by the time I walk for an hour (or less, if it's cold) and then bathe to clean off and warm up, I'm not thinking about chips and candy anymore. And on the few occasions that I am, I've usually burned off enough to be able to eat it without going over.

I'm not sure if it's the distraction, or the passing of time, or the fact that the blood's getting funneled to my muscles and away from my stomach, but it works for me.

EDIT: Of course I'm not suggesting you walk alone in the middle of the night if you're in a dodgy area. I'm currently in a safe-ish town where walking in the evenings is just fine, but if it's not safe to go out, try dancing around the room for a while, till your heart's pumping.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    When I read posts like this I find myself wondering if it's true physical hunger you're dealing with or whether it's craving something in particular for comfort or taste, or just something to eat because you know you shouldn't and you're rebelling against the denial.

I think if we eat and drink properly and at the right times for ourselves, it's unlikely we feel true hunger.
  • rachaelclark1
    Options
    I love slimquick but I like the drink packets not the pills. It tastes good, gives you energy, suppresses your appetite and it's made specifically for women.
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    I'm probably going to catch a world of **** for saying this- but this has been my personal experience. I have successfully used Phentermine and it worked very very well for me.

In the past I have struggled with yoyo dieting and disordered eating habits (of the binging variety). When I made a conscious decision to have a healthier lifestyle I did it with a physician who prescribed me Phentermine in order to control my appetite until I could learn to eat appropriately and in a healthy way. I did not have the ability to do it on my own. It helped me make healthier decisions and learn what foods I should be putting into my body. It was a short term thing for me and after a few weeks I have weaned off of it without any adverse side effects.

However, Phentermine is a controlled substance, and should only be taken if your physician is VERY closely monitoring you and your diet. A LOT of people do not tolerate it as well as I did. You can achieve appetite control through eating higher protein and higher fiber foods. Lots of water, and green/herbal teas help a lot. Good luck on your journey :)
  • ColleenHollis
    Options
    I use a tsp of apple cider vinegar in my water and it helps curb cravings. But when I'm hungry, I'm just plain hungry and I'll have a protein shake to hold me over. Also working out does the trick as well. Here is an article on the vinegar. http://www.livestrong.com/article/459353-does-drinking-vinegar-act-as-an-appetite-suppressant/
  • jodfie
    jodfie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i read all the posts and was surprised this was never mentioned...CRACK/COCAINE/SPEED/METH/ADDERAL/RITALIN/THE NUMEROUS OTHER ADHD MEDS...im kidding...although they are.....
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum after a meal or whenever I feel like snacking helps me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    i read all the posts and was surprised this was never mentioned...CRACK/COCAINE/SPEED/METH/ADDERAL/RITALIN/THE NUMEROUS OTHER ADHD MEDS...im kidding...although they are.....

FTW! :smokin:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Theres a good one called "track calories and macros and make sure you're in a caloric deficit"

And protein.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone want to decrease there food?

Food=fuel!
    What happens when you run out of gas? Your car won't work.
    And when your fuel gage gets down to past half your car starts sucking down gas faster.

So, when you get to that halfway mark you should give your body the fuel it needs to operate properly!

Eat your calories!!
    My body stores extra fuel as fat, my car does not store extra fuel
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Theres a good one called "track calories and macros and make sure you're in a caloric deficit"
    ^^^^^^
    THIS
    The problem with all these pills - no matter the claims - no matter the ingredients, they all have one thing in common.
    CAFFEINE!
    Save your money.
    Drink green tea...:bigsmile:
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Water
    Coffee (black)
    Green Tea
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I to find myself starving through portions of the day and think that everyone gave you really good ideas. I personally find that green tea, yerba matte tea and stevita help. And keeping busy!