How do I stop from Snacking?!

Options
I have been trying to stick to a diet plan, and I am very good following it. Until I get home from work, around 2-3, and I just sit on the couch and snack. I find that I have to physically remove myself from the house, or do stuff up in my room to avoid munching on chocolate chips, chips, pretzels, etc. Especially now with the holidays, there is extra of everything in my house. Does anyone have good suggestions on how to avoid falling into these pitfalls and start anew?

Replies

• Cocacoladdict
    Cocacoladdict Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth!

Drink a glass of water, brush your teeth and then if you are still hungry after the minty taste is gone then get yourself some food
  • lilteeraw
    lilteeraw Posts: 261
    Options
    basically just keeping yourself occupied.
    i also exclude all bad foods from my house..
    so when i do want to snack.. its on something healthy.
  • NYCMom
    NYCMom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Write down everything you eat. Every chocolate chip and m&m, log it in. Once you start seeing all the calories that add up, it makes it easier to start cutting back or making healthier choices.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Chew gum. Have something small before you go home so you feel less like snacking. Skip the snack altogether and have an early dinner. Drink a glass of milk, or a cup of hot tea, or a mug of coffee. Brush your teeth when you get home. Don't buy snacky foods you feel guilty snacking on. Make a lengthy phone call. Chew ice cubes. Suck on a piece of hard candy.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    The most obvious solution would be to not have said temptations in the house. Not always easy if you must share the house with others LOL.

Go to the gym, go for a walk, go visit a friend, find something to do! I have gone so far as to literally bag up the goodies and take them out of the house to the dumpster. Being the mother of six kids, we used to just invite all their friends over for a snacking party, with the expressed instruction of MAKE IT ALL GO AWAY!!
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    get really involved in a hobby. I come home sit down with my computer, guitar, and start recording. next thing you know it's almost time to go to bed.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to stick to a diet plan, and I am very good following it. Until I get home from work, around 2-3, and I just sit on the couch and snack. I find that I have to physically remove myself from the house, or do stuff up in my room to avoid munching on chocolate chips, chips, pretzels, etc. Especially now with the holidays, there is extra of everything in my house. Does anyone have good suggestions on how to avoid falling into these pitfalls and start anew?

Work out, take a walk, clean house, do yoga, call a friend, read a book, get busy and JUST SAY NO! I dumped all the Christmas goodies laying around the house in the dumpster this morning!
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    Do you live with others? Most people do. I remember when I lived at home it was SO difficult to not snack because of the snacks my family kept in the house! I had a small part of the cabinet for my foods and a bit of space in the fridge for my yogurts, skim milk, eggs and fruits and veggies. It was TERRIBLY difficult to not snack. Discipline. Just DON'T. Log absolutely every bit you take snacking and watch how many calories are "wasted," eating those tiny bits of things that do nothing for you nutritionally. It will really make you realize how not-worth it IT really is.

if you can, just don't keep snacks in sight or available to you.
    but healthy things you can grab when you are feeling a craving. Example: instead of those chocolate chips, buy some Emerald 100 calorie chocolate almond packs. So good! and will kill that chocolate craving. Hope this helps!
  • dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a snacking problem, too! I cleared all junk out of my house! It was so hard during holidays with all the baked goods at every house we visited. Whatever snack you have, separate them into single serving/snack sized bags. Take only one little bag at one time. If you eat straight out of the original container, it will be harder to stop!! If quantity is what you're looking for, compare 300 calorie snacks, for example. One small cookie vs a bunch of carrots and hummus (or apple and pb). You get more food for less calories if you switch things out.

I could graze all day if I could. I recently started drinking a lot of hot tea since plain water is just boring. I've tried a few decaf, herbal blends and a detox blend. Slow sips keep me preoccupied, and it makes me feel full.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Just get healthier snacks. Two of my favorites are dill pickles and green apples with salt. Yeah, it's a lot of sodium, but I don't have high blood pressure or anything so I don't worry about water weight gain. It's easy enough to lose and the salt hits the same spot that sweets do for me.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Plan a snack for that time, enjoy it, drink water and/or brush your teeth, go do something else.
    (and I'm reminding myself by typing this)
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    1. Dont buy anything you fear will cause you to snack
    2. Keep yourself occupied
    3. Drink 2 glasses of ice cold water
    4. Go for a walk
    5. Brush your teeth
    6. Plan your day with snacks included
  • bambee2013
    bambee2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I cannot have the unhealthy snacks in the house. I am going to stock up on healthy snacks like nuts, low fat cheese. Anything with protein will fill you up for a while.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    1. get rid of fattening snacks in the house
    2. put out a cutting board on your coffee table with cut vegetables a few nuts....some apple or fruit..portion it out to equal 100 or two hundred calories.
    3. Enjoy a flavored hot tea
    4. enjoy a coffee..i find it suppresses my appetite and makes me feel like i'm enjoying a ritual.

5. take control and enjoy your snack time ..build it into your calories and make it healthful and fun. (don't beat yourself up just because you've been snacking on the wrong things)
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Write down everything you eat. Every chocolate chip and m&m, log it in. Once you start seeing all the calories that add up, it makes it easier to start cutting back or making healthier choices.

^^This!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    1. Dont buy anything you fear will cause you to snack
    2. Keep yourself occupied
    3. Drink 2 glasses of ice cold water
    4. Go for a walk
    5. Brush your teeth
    6. Plan your day with snacks included

And #6 - plan your day and include a snack so you don't feel deprived. Even if its only 1 cookie, or 1/2 ounce of chips, it's something to look forward too :)
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    get that stuff out of the house!! - give it to a co-worker/friend/neighbor etc :)
    drink 8 ounce of water- if you still feel like you need something=take a walk or dance- something to take your mind off of it-doesnt work=
    have your fridge filled with veggies/fruits/lettuces- make yourself a low cal salad -dont add the croutons etc though- and a light dressing as low fat or no fat dressings (or anything) is just more sugars that arent good for you.
    also a fav is celery sticks with a small amount natural peanut butter
    mozz cheese stick with small apple
    singles bag of 94% fat free popcorn

hope these help :)
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Writing everything down is good, sort of like shaming yourself into less snacking.

Better than brushing your teeth - swish some listerine or other strong mouthwash and see if you still want food in your mouth after that lol.

For me, one that works when those have failed is have something really healthy around that you can eat a decent amount of without being unhealthy. I like baby carrots for this; cucumbers dipped in balsamic or celery work also. But don't ruin it by covering the healthy vegetables in honey or peanut butter..those calories add up quickly.

Also, hot tea. Warm drinks make your stomach feel more full and if you need it sweet, sweeten it with splenda or something and no harm done. Most tea bags will make about 40 ounces so get a big cup and boil enough water to fill it, then let the tea brew. Not only does this take a few minutes, then you're waiting on it to cool for a while longer and I can sip on 40 oz of tea for two hours so next thing you know a bunch of time has gone by and you haven't snacked on anything with calories.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Physically remove yourself from the house or do stuff up in your room.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    l soo have this problem I am a SNACKER!! If i need a snack i keepp veggies in the house- celery, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet peppers- I cut them up in the morning and have them on the kitchen table so i can munch - & not feel guilty