Why does my sister act this way?

Options

Replies

• Mollie007
    Options
    Just tell her to STFU and that if she doesn't like it at home, then to quit coming home. If she starts to get all mouthy, just stick your hand up and be all - you're being annoying. Stop. Seriously. Annoying. This is what I'm talking about. Annnnooooyyyiiiinnnngggg. Just keep doing it over and over. She'll finally get the hint. She doesn't shut up because no one tells her to shut up.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, you have a handful of options here. 1. Talk to her about her comments, even if it is difficult. 2. Try not to take it personally, accept that everyone is different, and she probably has nothing against you personally. 3. Avoid her.

That's all I really got. We all have people in our lives that just irritate us. Sometimes we just have to be the bigger person. Maybe she, even though she is older than you, is way more immature and just needs to grow up a little (or a lot).
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You can't change or control other people. All you can control is YOUR response. So ignore it and rise above. I have no idea on your whole family dynamic, but she may be getting some kind of emotional satisfaction out of behaving the way she does, and it may come from your current response to her. So don't give her a response. Ignore and change the subject.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    How can you ask a question about YOUR sister on a forum full of strangers? We don't know her,so we obviously don't know Why she behaves in that manner. Try talking to her and uh.... ask.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need to tell your sister to sit back and enjoy a good hot cup of STFU..

have you ever done that? maybe it's time you say it to her because complaining about her on an internet forum isnt going to help.

IME if you giv someone a good and honest cup of STFU they think twice before they say crazy stuff again :laugh:
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how you've built a bridge between her dislike for your city and its people to her possible dislike for you. More to the story? I tend to think when people are talking like that that they mean most people, and definitely not me. Good news is that at least you're not constantly subjected to hearing it. Hope you feel better soon.

Well, it would seem obvious that since I live here, and since she thinks everyone here is "nasty" and "low class" (in her opinion) that logically that would lead me to question what she actually thinks about me ...

I would hope she doesn't mean me, but then again she shouldn't be overgeneralizing a bunch of people she doesn't know, anyway. It's her attitude that bothers me.

I don't think it's obvious because I see the fact that she's your sister as bigger than her negative feelings about your city. That's why I mention if there's more to the story. Yes, she's definitely being rude. But like sometimes when we're close to people, we read way further into what they're saying because we have so much history. If she's a negative person and this sort of talk is expected, I just wouldn't take it personally. When she starts up I'd say, "Yup, just like last time," or "Nope, sorry, it hasn't changed since your last visit."
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    How can you ask a question about YOUR sister on a forum full of strangers? We don't know her,so we obviously don't know Why she behaves in that manner. Try talking to her and uh.... ask.

Yea. That's true, but ...

I'm basically a non-confrontational person and asking her would be difficult ... because you know, confrontation and all. Sounds silly, but yea.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

I'm basically a non-confrontational person and asking her would be difficult ... because you know, confrontation and all. Sounds silly, but yea.

If you're not willing to confront her, then don't complain that she's doing this to you. You're allowing yourself to be treated like this by letting her run over you.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    B itch slap her?
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options

If you're not willing to confront her, then don't complain that she's doing this to you. You're allowing yourself to be treated like this by letting her run over you.

Yea. I guess I need to become better at confrontation. Either way, thank you for the advice.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Okay. Kind of need some advice here.

Well you did ask. I am 62 years old. For much of my life I kept silent around my family. Just like the bumper sticker says "Silence Equals Death." When i started speaking out was the most empowering time of my life. Being silent is like agreeing to them.

Shirley in Oregon
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Yea. I guess I need to become better at confrontation. Either way, thank you for the advice.

I completely get how you feel. I kept silent and tolerated a lot of crap from my family for years, and eventually, I just snapped one day on all of them. It was the best thing I ever did. I no longer feel like a doormat.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Hey, I live in Bristol too!!

Take her to New Haven (I used to live there) and she how long she lasts making those comments before someone punches her.
    I kid. (mostly lol)

See if anyone else in your family feels the same way you do and have a family meeting about how it makes you guys feel when she acts like that

Ditto-but I was going to suggest touring Bridgeport, New Britain, Waterbury or Hartford (park st or the north end). It would not take long for her to become painfully aware of how inappropriate her comments are. You wouldn't even have to do the confronting-it'd be taken care of for you! Win-win.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you turned out better. :)

As for your post's question on why your sister acts like that? You said it yourself "My dad is usually the same way, too. " The sister apple didn't fall far from the tree.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Okay. Kind of need some advice here.
    OK, ignore her and rise above that fray.
    Be better and just allow your sister to rant, then be bigger and take no offense.
    Those who can do this are never rattled by such people.
    You can't change others, but you can change you.
    So, change..:smokin:
    Love this!
  • Roboartist
    Options
    Maybe this is the time in your life for a soft confrontation with her even though you are not a confrontational person. You could practice what you want to say with a trusted friend playing the part of your sister or even you playing the part of your sister. Tell them to be harsh so you can get some confidence.

You're not trying to hurt her feelings, you appreciate that she has moved away and that things aren't what she remembers but that her constant negativity is a downer to you, if she has nothing nice to say perhaps she could keep her comments to herself. As for the racist comments you could comment on it and at least feel like you have done something but do you think she would change even if you were to critique her?

I wish you the best of luck, a lot of it is you finding the confidence to say what you think really needs to be said and to ignore those things that are not worth your troubles.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to her about the fact that the way she talks offends you?

No, she's one of those overly defensive people. If i'm honest with her, she gets highly defensive and turns it on me.
    Stop inviting her over. Sounds like she's obnoxious to be around.

We don't invite her ... she decides to come over and spend holidays here .... lol.

Tell her to leave or not to show up then. I'm not sure what else you can do really. It sounds like confronting her will do no good, so standing up to her is your only real option.

I hate confrontation too. But, given the right situation I'm more than willing to take a stand so as not to feel like a doormat. I hate having to do it, but it always feels better when it's over with. It's scary but empowering. Plus, as a generally quiet person, when I stand up for something my listener usually takes me seriously.

In your situation, I'd probably eventually say something to her. If keeping silent listening to her makes you miserable enough, then maybe it's time to stop being so quiet on the matter and do something to make her a little miserable instead. Why should you suffer for her poor behavior?

When she starts complaining and insulting my town, I'd point out that, "Well if you really hate it that much, you don't have to stay and tell me about it. If you don't like it, you can leave. I enjoy (thing she complains about) because (honest reason). I don't complained all day about the ___ and ___ when I go to your home, do I? You're my sister and I love you as a sister, but I don't enjoy your visits as much as I wish I could. It hurts me to admit that, but it's the honest truth. You're welcome to stay though if f you decide to talk about something more cheerful, so that I can enjoy your company for a change. But either way I'm staying here and I don't want to listen to you insulting me and my life any more."

I've had a similar exchange before with someone and it worked better than I imagined. She probably will get upset for a comeback like that. But I'd rather the rude sister be upset than a sweet sister be upset. Yes, it would hurt her to know that you don't like her company at the moment, but it gives her a reason why and an opportunity to fix it. It might just shock her into a change once she gets her wits together. She might storm out and complain to your other family even. If they ask about it, be honest, even if they blame you. But, I'm willing to bet that she eventually comes around and wants to visit you again and that when she does she'll act like a changed person. Then, be sure to thank her for the ("better") visit and emphasize how much you enjoyed seeing her.

As for a guest--even family--inviting themselves to stay overnight... No. Absolutely not. That's just not something we put up with in my home. It's the height of rude behavior for a guest to do such a thing. Even as a small kid, it was drilled into me that if someone ASKED to sleep over the answer would be a sure no. But if I got permission to invite a friend over (with enough notice) the answer would probably be yes. Likewise I was taught to never ask to sleep over at a friends unless they had invited me there first. It's basic elementary school manners.

If you hear her mention that she's coming down and you didn't invite her, you could call her out on it by saying, "Actually we already have plans and thus can't really entertain you this weekend/whatever."

Once, my youngest (adult) brother in law called to inform us that he was coming down for the weekend (on the Friday he was coming). He has some Austim-like issues, so we had to let him know that asking for permission would be more appropriate instead of getting upset with him, and to let his folks know to practice this a little, but we did have plans already. Hubby took care of that conversation. It went something like this, "Well, brother, you know we'd love to have you, but if you come to see us this weekend, you'll have no where to stay because we're going to be out of state, so you might want to rethink your plans for the weekend...We really need you to check that it's OK with us BEFORE you decide to come down." We had to set a rule with him about how far ahead he needs to ask us for that sort of thing.

If she's got the nerve to just show up at your door uninvited, then you'll have to decide if you can muster up equal nerves or not. Don't invite her in. Keep her outside. On the doorstep, act hurried and say, "Sorry, but we already have plans. We were actually just getting really to leave." Grab a bag or say your car/trunk is already packed or that you are "running behind already because you need to get there in 10 minutes" as you step out the door onto the porch with her. Lock the door behind yourself as you tell her that you wish you'd known she was coming earlier. And then leave the house yourself for a few hours at least or even book a hotel room elsewhere for a unplanned mini-vacation of your own if you can. If she asks to stay in your empty home without you---truly ballsy rude of her---either tell the truth or lie to keep her out of the house. Tell her the place is being "chemically bombed" for bugs, repainted inside, the city's water/gas is out on your block, or something equally inhospitable that you just can't let her stay through. Being abandoned on your doorstep as you leave might convince your sister of the wisdom of calling ahead next time. If you take this route and lie though, leave the premise and don't come back and don't answer your phone for at least a few hours. Give her time to give up and go on her way before you return. You may need to recruit a strong willing assistant to keep you from caving in. My husband is stubborn as mule and a much better lair than I am. Get the help of someone like him ahead of time when you suspect she might pop in for an uninvited holiday.

Bonus, if you lie first (aka "you can't stay because my house is being treated for bugs"), and then next time she complains about how your home needs to be sprayed for bugs (because she hasn't learned her lesson), you can then use the truth for added insult by sheepishly admitting that, "Actually I made that up. I just didn't want to see you because ___ . I'd rather you think my house has bugs than to have to stick around and listen to you insult me and my life. I'm sorry, but I lied to get rid of you."
  • makaiya
    makaiya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just tell her to STFU and that if she doesn't like it at home, then to quit coming home. If she starts to get all mouthy, just stick your hand up and be all - you're being annoying. Stop. Seriously. Annoying. This is what I'm talking about. Annnnooooyyyiiiinnnngggg. Just keep doing it over and over. She'll finally get the hint. She doesn't shut up because no one tells her to shut up.

are you my twin? yeah, mollie is right - someone needs to tell her to shut up.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Easy fix. Just start dating nothing but Spanish and Black guys.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Umm, just tell her how it is. If she doesn't like it, don't visit. I'm very blunt so that would be my answer.