When is sacrificing form okay?

Options
Mutant13
Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
Argued with my s/o about this today. He noticed the last rep or two of my last set of hammer curls were pretty sloppy. I told him I knew about this but the next weight down wasn't challenging enough, so to me having the last couple of reps be imperfect was worth it to have the rest of my set be challenging and effective.

Anyway we agreed to disagree about that, and ill keep using the weight I have. But it makes for an interesting question- When is sacrificing form acceptable? If ever?

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I doubt you will do yourself much damage with hammer curl no matter what the form was like, within reason.

If you are talking about squats and deadlifts etc, a true 1 rep max is almost never going to be a perfect looking rep.

I think perfect form is slightly overrated and a lot of people don't pull the kind of weights that they are capable of as they are too worried about minute details, although it's a fine line.

This is a pretty interesting video for example, discussing why tons of successful bodybuilders use what would be considered "bad" form on their rowing movements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjTClwvt9LY
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Well, what is the point in doing a hammer curl if you are using your body to get the last reps completed? The actual bicep effort would probably be a lot lower than it would had you gone down to a lighter weight where you could control exactly how much effort you'd be using. Otherwise, why not pick up the heaviest weight you can lift and use the body to throw the weight up from the start?
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I agree about form being overrated.

Yes, when you're sub-maximal by a long way, you should expect to hit perfect form, however as you get heavier, it's about being within a safe range, rather than being picture perfect. As long as you're not risking injury, and you're not making the exercise completely pointless - for example if you were just using momentum on a curl, I see no problem.
  • HelloDan
    Options
    Otherwise, why not pick up the heaviest weight you can lift and use the body to throw the weight up from the start?

That's what I do as a competitive sport!
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Otherwise, why not pick up the heaviest weight you can lift and use the body to throw the weight up from the start?

That's what I do as a competitive sport!

For hammer curls? We're talking about form and hammer curls, not powerlifting.
  • Mutant13
    Options
    I agree about form being overrated.

Yes, when you're sub-maximal by a long way, you should expect to hit perfect form, however as you get heavier, it's about being within a safe range, rather than being picture perfect. As long as you're not risking injury, and you're not making the exercise completely pointless - for example if you were just using momentum on a curl, I see no problem.

Yeah, and it's only a very slight use of momentum at that. If it were an exercise where I was at risk of injury I wouldn't do it.
    As for going down to the lighter weight- it's a 2 kg difference! Sure I can lift them with perfect form right to the end, and it takes no effort. It feels like I might as well go pick up the pink dolly weights and flap those about while I listen to Carly Rae Jepsen and laugh too loudly while talking on my phone.
  • HelloDan
    Options

No not for hammer curls, just the general concept.

However, even training hammer curls, it could be a valid technique, if you wanted to heave a weight you could not lift up, and then lower it under control. Just the same as any other negative really.
  • Mutant13
    Options

I feel like there's a bit of the difference there. The rest of the set is done with perfect form, and the compromise on the last couple lifts is minimal. I guess I could just not do the last rep of my set, but mentally it feels better to finish it
  • HelloDan
    Options
    As for going down to the lighter weight- it's a 2 kg difference! Sure I can lift them with perfect form right to the end, and it takes no effort. It feels like I might as well go pick up the pink dolly weights and flap those about while I listen to Carly Rae Jepsen and laugh too loudly while talking on my phone.

That strategy will only work if the lighter dumbbells are pink, otherwise it's just a waste of time!

Ok, back to seriousness, that's a significant drop, I'd def stick with the heavier dumbbells.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

No not for hammer curls, just the general concept.

However, even training hammer curls, it could be a valid technique, if you wanted to heave a weight you could not lift up, and then lower it under control. Just the same as any other negative really.

Sure. But for the OP's specific question. Stay focused, man!
  • Mutant13
    Options
    I can't remember where I read it, it might have been NROL- the author talked about how form was overrated because different people just move differently because of how their bodies are, and it's better for them to move in a way that is natural to them.

I don't know If I agree, but the concept is interesting
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    A little movement is OK as long as their is not the risk of injure. Bad for is where the injuries come from. If the next weight up IS to heavy then stay with the lighter weight and SQUEEZE real hard at the top of the move.

The key is failing...you don't succeed until you fail. If that last rep only goes up so high and your form is acceptable then that's good.

I like Shaun T's saying...the work doesn't start until your tired.
  • HelloDan
    Options
    I can't remember where I read it, it might have been NROL- the author talked about how form was overrated because different people just move differently because of how their bodies are, and it's better for them to move in a way that is natural to them.

I think it kind of depends how you look at it.

I agree in the sense that picture perfect form is only achievable in many movements by someone who has perfect proportions, so in reality there is a range of acceptability, which is safe and effective for most people.

However, I don't see that as just move however suits you, sometimes movement patterns need to be modified, to fall into the acceptable range, as people have developed bad movement patterns over time.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    For another perspective on the importance of form you can look towards Charles Glass (sortof a legend I suppose).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddHxLy_ckvY

He says its important, but he definitely doesn't think it's the most important thing in training. Sounds like he would say if its a choice between going heavy and perfect form, sacrifice some form and go heavy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=LvRV1BCFgZ4&NR=1

In that video he's training some woman who is back on her first day. He's trying to shock her muscles back into activity, and her form is atrocious at points. Does he care? Does he correct her? Not really.

So if you asked him he would say form is important but its not the most important thing and there are conditions where it can be sacrificed.

In theory he knows more about this stuff than all of us combined. =)
  • darrensurrey
    Options

I think it kind of depends how you look at it.

I agree in the sense that picture perfect form is only achievable in many movements by someone who has perfect proportions, so in reality there is a range of acceptability, which is safe and effective for most people.

However, I don't see that as just move however suits you, sometimes movement patterns need to be modified, to fall into the acceptable range, as people have developed bad movement patterns over time.

Yep. That's how people ruin their backs picking up a book from the floor!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Of course form is important, but almost every rule has exceptions.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get bogged down in semantics about what exactly "perfect form" means. I would want to know more information. Like what kind of "compromise" we are talking about, at what point in the set this is occurring, and why the person is compomising form to begin with.

I can think of a number of scenarios where compromised form might be OK--but it would also be important that the person lifting was doing it for a specific purpose. If someone was just slopping through some reps because the workout called for "x" number of reps that set and they were just trying to hit a number, then I think it is a waste of time and effort.

Someone else said that "the real work begins when you are tired". It seems to me that would argue in favor of maintaining form as long as possible, since you would want to do the highest quality movements during the time when they would have the most impact.

While there is no black/white answer, I would argue that for newbies/less experienced lifters, maintaining form and avoiding "sloppy" lifts is of higher importance.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    personally I don't think you should compromise your form on anything unless it's an absolute max lift and form just breaks down.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    personally I don't think you should compromise your form on anything unless it's an absolute max lift and form just breaks down.

I'm in this camp. With the caveat that by bad form here I mean you are not correctly doing the exercise. Just drop the last couple reps. In fact the problem you are describing is why I frequently hate dumbbells and kettlebells... The lower one won't challenge me and the upper one is bordering on too hard.

Like most of the others said, a max effort lift is okay to have slight break downs, but I hate when people say they set a squat PR but didn't actually break parallel, or their max bench comes no where near their chest. To me, you are only cheating yourself. I'd rather go all the way down and maybe bail. Also, I think it breeds more bad form if say next time you go in and are having a bad day, but since you got in all your reps this time, you feel you need to next time too and just have overtly ****ty form the whole time or something.

Also I think it depends on what the form break is. Potentially dangerous, like could hurt a rotator cuff or something? Don't do it. Movement in the wrist within your ROM, but just sloppy? Fine.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As with most things, I think there is some gray area when talking about form.

Are we talking about a little extra movement/help, or are we talking about total breakdown? Are we talking about iso lifts (like curls), or compound lifts (squats, deads)?

I think the more sloppy you get, the more concerned you should be. I also think there's a lot less room for error in heavier compound lifts, as the risk for injury is higher.

In your case (curls, only the last couple of reps, only a little slop), I think you're probably ok. But I'd be very careful... a little extra movement now could lead to a lot of bad form down the road.

On a side note... it sounds like it's more of an ego thing than anything else - you'd rather do 2 reps sloppy to finish the set than stop early when you can no longer keep good form. Ego is a double-edged sword in the weight room...