Do you take anything to supress your appetite?

Options
I am starting with my first log of my weight etc today and although I am pretty sure that I am going to try to use water to stop me snacking I wondered whether you guys know of any natural appetite suppressants? <--- not even sure if they exist.

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Yes I plenty of eat foods rich in protein, fibre, water and a little healthy fats all of which are proven to provide satiety. Been quite a few threads on this in the last few days, did you run a search?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Yes I plenty of eat foods rich in protein, fibre, water and a little healthy fats all of which are proven to provide satiety.

I agree with this. Also, you will feel hungry at first but will adjust to eating smaller portions of food fairly quickly. If you find you must absolutely snack, pick things you can eat quite a bit of for few calories, e.g. air popped popcorn, vegetables, etc.
  • vnovit
    vnovit Posts: 101
    Options
    Yes I plenty of eat foods rich in protein, fibre, water and a little healthy fats all of which are proven to provide satiety. Been quite a few threads on this in the last few days, did you run a search?

Ditto!
  • dtpss188
    Options
    Try not to leave too much time between meals. I add lemon juice to my water and try to use vinegar with some of my foods. Both lemon juice and vinegar are thought to slow down the digestion of foods. All of this, of course, along with the aforementioned "whole" vs. processed foods. Veggies, fiber, whole grains, good fats with each meal. The only time I allow myself to touch starches is just prior to vigorous exercise, and I do that sparingly as well. Lots and lots of water.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    You'll very likely not eat enough protein at first, and that will leave you hungry. Eat more protein.
  • LoraMora
    LoraMora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A Frenchman once told me his secret to staying slim was eating a TIMED RELEASE B-Complex and C vitamin every morning. (B Complex having at least B-6 and B-12). It must be timed release or it doesn't work.

There are some brands that work better than others (I just buy supermarket brands, nothing fancy), but I've found this to be my silver bullet. My evening appetite is substantially reduced 90% of the time.

The ones that work best for me are:

Nature's Bounty Time Released Vitamin C-1000 plus Rose Hips, and Natures Bounty Time Released High Potency B-100 Balanced B-Comples with Folic Acid.

This doesn't work at all for my sisters, but then they were found to have a genetic mutation that supresses the absorption of B vitamins. In their case, they have to take a methylated version of the B vitamins. Approx 30% of the US population has this mutation, so if it doesn't work at all for you either, do some reading on the MTHFR mutation as to which B vitamins to try next.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Skip the supplements. Just eat 6 times a day, whole fresh foods (no more processed foods). Its a habit that has to be changed. You need to replace the habit of snacking with new healthy habits. It may not happen overnight, but it can and will happen if you are truly committed to living a healthier lifestyle.

Make a comfort menu up. Put on it all the activities you can do instead of snacking.
    1) Take a bath
    2) Clean a room
    3) call a friend
    4) Go for a walk
    5) brush your teeth
    6) Chew gum
    ETC, ETC, ETC

See, you have lots of options you can do instead of snacking---just have your comfort menu handy and pick one :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You'll very likely not eat enough protein at first, and that will leave you hungry. Eat more protein.

Amen to that. People are so afraid to eat lean protein. I see diaries that are excessively high in carbs but barely any protein?????

Lean protein is incredibly healthy and fills you up a lot longer. Nibble on leftover cooked chicken if you have to. Who says it has to be processed snacky foods?
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Eat a balanced diet that contains plenty of protein, fiber and healthy fats. Foods like, lean cuts of meat, natural peanut butter, almonds, flaxseed, eggs, green leafy veggies, ect. Stay hydrated!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Keep logging and don't starve yourself. Seeing what you *really* eat will probably be enough. You don't have to starve yourself or feel deprived etc in order to get healthy. If you eat lots of junk food and fast food, it makes you hungrier, so just finding alternatives to that (ones that you can enjoy) will likely drop your appetite by itself.

At the very least, try that before turning to some miracle pill that makes it someone else's responsibility, because if you do that the instant you stop taking it, you will resume eating as you have been, which means your body will go right back to what it is today. If you want to be your healthy goal weight *forever* you need to learn how to live and eat like someone who is your healthy goal weight forever. :)
  • w00dy
    w00dy Posts: 4
    Options
    Skip the supplements. Just eat 6 times a day, whole fresh foods (no more processed foods). Its a habit that has to be changed. You need to replace the habit of snacking with new healthy habits. It may not happen overnight, but it can and will happen if you are truly committed to living a healthier lifestyle.

Make a comfort menu up. Put on it all the activities you can do instead of snacking.
    1) Take a bath
    2) Clean a room
    3) call a friend
    4) Go for a walk
    5) brush your teeth
    6) Chew gum
    ETC, ETC, ETC

See, you have lots of options you can do instead of snacking---just have your comfort menu handy and pick one :)

Love this idea!!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Red wine, drink it fast enough and job done.

I find it a stretch to find the fridge when I'm asleep ;)
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers identifies what they call power foods, i.e. foods with more air, water, fiber, protein in them. They keep you feeling full much longer. This tends to be fruits, veggies, non-fat dairy (i.e. cup of skim milk), etc. Honestly, if you eat well (and frequently, spread through the day, but staying on track with your planned foods) you will not actually BE hungry between meals. You may think you're hungry but at that point it's habit and/or emotional response.

Good luck!
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't fight it. I just eat another apple, apples apples apples, lol,, I typically eat 3-4 a day......... The real deal behind that is I started doing that to replace donuts about 9 months ago. Now I maybe eat a donut 2-3 a month if that. Compared to the 2-3 a day I used to eat.
  • KrimsonFury1
    KrimsonFury1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I take an apple cider vinegar capsule (only because it's easier than the tast of making a drink) first thing in the morning when I wake up with a glass of room temp water and again before each meal. It helps me with portion control tremendously.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    coffee
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I eat protein rich foods and drink LOTS AND LOTS OF water....if you are eating what your body needs and getting enough fluids, you should not be hungry.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Red wine, drink it fast enough and job done.

I find it a stretch to find the fridge when I'm asleep ;)

I like you! :drinker:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Exercise - it won't suppress your appetite, but it will let you eat more and still get to your goal. It's kind of nifty that way.